and i'm sorta freaking out that I'm so excited. anyway, i need a pedal i think. the band that i'm (hopefully!!!) going to be joining wants to do a wide spectrum of things, including but not limited to am / funk / jazz / soul / drum n bass / r and b / pop / techno. so yea, odd band, but whatever. i've got my hot rod and a crunch box, so i have distortion and cleans more than covered, but I know that these styles will require more sound. since i can only afford to put up about $150 right now, i was thinking about getting a DD-3 because everyone needs delay, and then jsut saving the money for later purchases, but it would be awesome to stretch and get the DD-7 because all of the added effects would be usefull in a wierd band, but i dont want to buy an about $170 pedal for a band that i'm not quite sure if i'm actually going to be a part of yet.

anyway, sorry that was so long. thanks for any help. if i seem a bit stupid, i'm sorry. like i said, i'm freaking out here lol

thanks!
sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You can get yourself a pretty decent pedal for $150.

Delays are always fun. The DD-3 a nice model and a great alternative if you're not going to be using the loop features of the DD-7. Other delays to look at are MXR's Carbon Copy, a full, warm sounding analog delay (not as feature heavy as the digital delays), and EHX's Small Clone, which I don't like (tone-suck), but some people do.

For the funk/jazz/soul sounds, I would definitely look at a phaser or flanger. EHX's Small Stone is a great phaser in your price range. MXR's Phase 90 is nice as well, but I like the Small Stone better. For flangers, shy away from Boss (I tend to shy away from Boss for anything aside from their delays).

And since this is UG, I will recommend an MXR EQ pedal. Great for defining tone.

If you're just getting into buying pedals consider the following:

Read through this board and you will see 1000 threads saying "My pedals are noisy, my signals are degrading, my tone sounds weird now". This is because most people refuse to believe that there is a difference between high quality and low quality electronics. Buy analog pedals with true-bypass. Stay away from Ibanez and Boss (Heretic!, I can hear it). Make each pedal you buy an investment rather than a new toy that you will become bored with.

The Fender Hot Rod is a great amplifier, so you've got no worries there.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by VisionaryTics
You can get yourself a pretty decent pedal for $150.

Delays are always fun. The DD-3 a nice model and a great alternative if you're not going to be using the loop features of the DD-7. Other delays to look at are MXR's Carbon Copy, a full, warm sounding analog delay (not as feature heavy as the digital delays), and EHX's Small Clone, which I don't like (tone-suck), but some people do.

For the funk/jazz/soul sounds, I would definitely look at a phaser or flanger. EHX's Small Stone is a great phaser in your price range. MXR's Phase 90 is nice as well, but I like the Small Stone better. For flangers, shy away from Boss (I tend to shy away from Boss for anything aside from their delays).

And since this is UG, I will recommend an MXR EQ pedal. Great for defining tone.

If you're just getting into buying pedals consider the following:

Read through this board and you will see 1000 threads saying "My pedals are noisy, my signals are degrading, my tone sounds weird now". This is because most people refuse to believe that there is a difference between high quality and low quality electronics. Buy analog pedals with true-bypass. Stay away from Ibanez and Boss (Heretic!, I can hear it). Make each pedal you buy an investment rather than a new toy that you will become bored with.

The Fender Hot Rod is a great amplifier, so you've got no worries there.

thanks for the help. yea, that's why i decided the by the MI audio crunch box, it's handmade and awesome. ill definitely check out those ehx pedals, i've been looking at getting one for while
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you're on a tight budget you can also check out the Digitech Digidelay. It is actually pretty good despite Digitech's bad rep around here.
A HARD case for your guitar if you don't already have one.
Even if not in a band, if you take your guitar anywhere it should be protected.....like our dicks.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by Butters8754
A HARD case for your guitar if you don't already have one.
Even if not in a band, if you take your guitar anywhere it should be protected.....like our dicks.

check. MIA strats conveniently come with hard-shell cases
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I like using a chorus to give me a thicker/fuller sound. I know that guy said to shy away from boss but I really like my CE-5 chorus ensemble. Other than that maybe a wah? Fun to use and very common among the genres you listed, but its not somthing you'd use all the time. Right now Im trying to make a decision to buy a delay (DD-7 or Carbon Copy) or a phaser (MXR script phase 90) so between the 2 I couldnt say which to buy yet, but if your looking for a phaser check out the script phase 90 and the block (standard) phase 90. The script is more subtle and very classically voiced and the block is more "in your face" which somepeople like but it isnt for me. And BTW good luck with the new band!
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
I like using a chorus to give me a thicker/fuller sound. I know that guy said to shy away from boss but I really like my CE-5 chorus ensemble. Other than that maybe a wah? Fun to use and very common among the genres you listed, but its not somthing you'd use all the time. Right now Im trying to make a decision to buy a delay (DD-7 or Carbon Copy) or a phaser (MXR script phase 90) so between the 2 I couldnt say which to buy yet, but if your looking for a phaser check out the script phase 90 and the block (standard) phase 90. The script is more subtle and very classically voiced and the block is more "in your face" which somepeople like but it isnt for me. And BTW good luck with the new band!

thanks!! i'm really hoping that it works out. it seems like it's going to be fun
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
try out a visual sound h2o.

analog delay, and AMAZING chorus, for like $180
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Look at an Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory. Great chorus/flanger pedal and it's EHX so you know it's gonna be solid.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by VisionaryTics
Stay away from Ibanez and Boss (Heretic!, I can hear it). Make each pedal you buy an investment rather than a new toy that you will become bored with.

I'll just add to this; Boss does generally make poor pedals, but the DD-7 and DD-20 are amazing if you aren't concerned about getting a analog/vintage/super warm sound. Ibanez also makes a decent delay (DE-7), but other then that and the Tubescreamer series, their pedals are also fairly poor.

I would look into a delay as you said, or maybe a wah if you're going to do a lot of funky stuff. And maybe a nice tuning pedal; I love my Korg Pitchblack far more then one should like a tuning pedal. Everything else Visionary pretty much covered.
Quote by imicius
I'll just add to this; Boss does generally make poor pedals, but the DD-7 and DD-20 are amazing if you aren't concerned about getting a analog/vintage/super warm sound. Ibanez also makes a decent delay (DE-7), but other then that and the Tubescreamer series, their pedals are also fairly poor.

I would look into a delay as you said, or maybe a wah if you're going to do a lot of funky stuff. And maybe a nice tuning pedal; I love my Korg Pitchblack far more then one should like a tuning pedal. Everything else Visionary pretty much covered.

Hey, I made an exception for Boss's delays

Digital delays are great if you want things like tap tempo or reasonably cheap stereo effects.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by VisionaryTics
Hey, I made an exception for Boss's delays

Digital delays are great if you want things like tap tempo or reasonably cheap stereo effects.

Or really anything past 600ms slapback.
Quote by Stringbreaker
You might want to invest in a multi effects pedal. You'll gain more effects for a lot cheaper then you would buying all the same effects in individual stomp boxes.

eh, im going for quality, not quantity. a multi-fx would solve all my problems, just not as well as i would like. lol i just sold a boss ME-50 actually so that i could afford my Crunchbox
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
check. MIA strats conveniently come with hard-shell cases

Ahh, I did not know that.
When I bought my Gibson I had to pay for the case.

Thanks for the emendation!
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
I'll say this: true bypass isn't necessarily better than buffered bypass.

In fact a good buffered pedal is better than a true bypass pedal... why? If you have a bunch of pedals that are true bypass your tone will be gone. Long stretches from guitar -> amp aren't good for tone, man. That's not to say that a **** buffer is better than true bypass, though. Give me a pedal with a good buffer over a true bypass one any day.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??