I have been in the market for a guitar amp for a while now but there's nowhere to try much of the stuff I was looking for in the area. There's a blues jr. in my craigslist area and i was wondering if it was good for me before i travel to take a look at it. i play mostly metal stuff but also get into sublime and cleaner stuff like that. i throw in some classic rock stuff too. i was thinking this with a boost/overdrive pedal might be able to get me by just fine. I play in my bedroom mostly and am mainly a bassist. It would be for fun/education of myself on the side. Opinions? They want $375.

EDIT: By metal i do not mean anything ridiculously heavy. I do not need BROOTALZ! Just a good amount of gain and a smooth tone. I might also invest in a good eq pedal as that can easily follow along with me when I might get a better amp in the future. the far future.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jan 29, 2009,
That's kind of a stiff price if it's not near mint. I bought mine from my local guitar shop for $400.

A great sounding clean amp, but it will really struggle to handle metal, even with distortion pedals. I use a Fulltone OCD and a Sovtek Big Muff Pi with my Blues Junior, and about the most "metal" I can get is Black Sabbath.

But then again I don't play metal, so maybe other people have gotten a better response from the BJ. But keep in mind that the amp was designed for sparkling cleans (which it does very well) and can handle moderate amounts of overdrive, but you will not get an aggressive, scooped metal tone out of something like the Blues Junior.

Great little tube amp, though.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Also, I am currently playing my Dean hollowbody(actually a nice guitar with plenty of low/lowmid boost from itself) through a peavey 60watt bass amp. Also using my Boss odb-3 bass overdrive for it. It looks pretty close to mint in the picture and as long as it's fully functional that's what I'm worried about. Maybe I could talk him down a bit I dunno.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Its a beautiful little amp with lovely cleans, but I just cant recomend it as a primarily metal amp even with a distortion box. Its called a Blues Jr for a reason so Id look elsewhere for metal tones. Ive heard Blackheart makes good amps at a nice price, I cant vouch for them personally but check em out!
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
If I were you and seeing as its purely for fun and bedroom use I'd stick with the Bass amp or if you absolutely have to have a guitar amp then look at a modelling amp of some kind.
he's asking too much for the amp. and that amp isnt suited for your style of play.

around here Bjrs go for $300-350.

mine went for around $325 with an upgraded speaker.
and there were still plenty of guys trying to get it for $250.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You can't go wrong with that amp. You will need a distortion pedal for metal/hard rock. The tube tone of those amps is really fine. A quality distortion plus any other nice pedal you'd like to though at will sound delicious. Good luck.
AL