Page 1 of 2
Here is the situation guys, my band is on the verge of a break out soon, we are trying to write songs and things are jut clicking pretty nicely. The main thing here is practices, my Orange Crush 15 watt will be drowned out and pissed on if I try to practice with our drummer on scene. I basically need something that will not be drowned out by the drums and will be good for small gigging, essentially an amp that is big and sturdy for that. My budget is absolute s***, 300 bucks, that's all I have to spare at the moment. And please, if you answer, give a though out comment, not a one-liner such as "buy this amp at this link." It has to be in that 300 range, a little bit higher is manageable.
Could you save up a bit more?

And uh, if not, I'm sure you could get a cool used tube amp for that.

I dunno, but you might be able to find a Peavey Classic 30 for that, used.

If not, there's a bunch of little 5w tube combos, like the Valve Junior, Blackheart Little Giant, etc. But that would be if you don't require any cleans.

So, musical style? Whaddya play?
All right, here we go:

No I do not live in the UK (I wish)
I live in the ignorant state of California in the united states

Yes I do like Orange, the 15 I have now is decent as a practice amp, even messed up as it is.
You see one time I spilled milk on it, ever since there has been a sort of built in twang where the sign goes in and out, it is only noticable when I hold a note for several seconds though. Another time I made it go much louder than it should ever go by putting it in a double overdrive with the volume up on all three knobs up in order to jam with a drumming friend.

Now my musical style includes but is not limited to ska, classic rock, old school punk, alternative and rock. However, you will mostly find me playing punk rock, as that is my bands sound and genre, some band examples are Green Day (I am not here to debate their punk contoversy) Anti-Flag, Dead Kennedys, a little Blink-182, Rancid, the Subhumans, The Exploited, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Taking Back Sunday (not for their sound, but somewhat innovative riffs)

Now those bands influence us, but we, or I, I should say, play my own music, and the best way I can describe my sound is a crunch-punch distortion, upbeat, powerchords and barre chords as well as many riffs (think Blink-182's Dammit, TBS Makedamnsure, and a lot of Anti-Flags songs)
Essentially it has that punk sound but it is somewhat more innovative and crunchy than bands like Green Day. We are not "pop-punk" we use elements that specifically relate to other gener's like ska and old school punk. However, we do have elements of pop-punk. That is simply not our main genre.

Sorry I didn't mention my music style first off. Anymore questions you need to know I can answer.
$300 certainly isn't much for a new amp. As I'm in the UK I tried looking on guitarcenter to get a feel of American prices and the only one that stood out to me as decent for that price was a Peavey Vypyr 75w. It may not be a valve amp but it will be loud enough and will give you a variety of good sounds. The only other alternative I can think of is to try a used valve amp on Ebay. That's where I got my Marshall from and it's been great and could be the kind of thing you're looking for. I took a quick look on the American Ebay site and there are a couple of DSL401 amps at about $400 and one that's had no bids yet and is starting at $100. In these tough economic times you may be able to get a bargain.

Happy hunting and good luck.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Thanks man I will look in to the Vypyr, unfortunately I simply don't use ebay and don't put any faith in to it. It's mostly because my parents never used it or bought off the Internet that I don't :/

In any case, the Vypyr would have enough headroom to host maybe 100 people or so? Unfortunately, out of all the things I'm good at with guitar; that being my proficiency at Guitar and pedals and how to make them sound good, amps are my worst area of expertise.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Yes, Peavey Classic 30 or Crate palomino V32! NAO!

These are both fantastic for the price. Pretty much your only good options.
Along with the Vypyrs, I suppose. Although they aren't very suited for your styles
Ill also look in to those two as well then, thanks for the input guys, anymore comments are appreciated
Vypyr does anything you want it to.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
The Peavey and the Crate are both good amps but I think you'll need to also invest in pedals to get to the sound you want. You simply don't have that problem with the Vypyr as everything you need is already onboard. It will also easily be loud enough as these are very loud amps, to the degree that even the 30w could manage a small gig. The 75w version should be able to cope with a gig of many more than 100 people. You spend your $300 and you don't have to worry about anything else, though you could save up and invest in the Sanpera II pedal that goes with it.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The Peavey and the Crate are both good amps but I think you'll need to also invest in pedals to get to the sound you want. You simply don't have that problem with the Vypyr as everything you need is already onboard. It will also easily be loud enough as these are very loud amps, to the degree that even the 30w could manage a small gig. The 75w version should be able to cope with a gig of many more than 100 people. You spend your $300 and you don't have to worry about anything else, though you could save up and invest in the Sanpera II pedal that goes with it.

yeah the Vypyrs had some nice tones in them. Definitely worth a look.
Thanks guys, I've got a friend that I talked to today and asked if he still had a Marshall 120 watt he offered to sell me, but at the time a new amp wasn't high on my list, getting a Les Paul was. But now its number one on my list. In anycase, I asked him if he was still sellin it, turns out he sold about 2 months back for about 200 bucks (RAGE!!!) He said however that he can he can get me an amp for my 300. I told him what I needed, and he said he can get a new amp with in the next week to a month. He won't find out specifically which amp until tomorrow, he mentioned it will basically be 100 watts and either peavey, crate or maybe even a Marshall. Once I get the specs on it I will post it, after that could you guys let me know if its a fair deal? He also mentioned he will sell me his Boss Metalzone for 50 bucks. That is a good deal, but as for the amp I won't know.
The Marshall he'll get you will be either an MG or AVT. Don't do it.

The Metal Zone isn't particularly stunning either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well just calm down now, I have no idea whether its Marshall peavey or crate, it very well could end up being a Vypyr, I won't know until he gives me the specs. As for the metal zone, if you know how to use it right, it can sound very stunning
Btw, there is a neighboring local family owned music store that sells orange. I do believe they have a solid state 75 watt, but I'm not entirely sure, any of you Orange experts know how much that would cost me?
Solid state Marshalls or Crates are all crap in comparison to the Vypyr regardless of their specs. If your mate offers you either of these amps, politely thank him for the offer and run a mile! At anything up to $300 you'd be mad to get anything other than the Vypyr and you will certainly regret it. Please, DON'T DO IT! I'd even say that, much as I like Orange amps, in the world of solid state, even those amps won't be anything like as good as the Vypyr. It's your money but I'm only trying to prevent you from making an expensive mistake. Any mate who tries to sell you anything other than a Vypyr at anything up to $300 either isn't a very good mate or doesn't know what he's talking about. Missing out on a 120w Marshall for $200 may sound like a missed opportunity but you should thank your lucky stars you did miss out on it and pity the poor bugger who ended up wasting his money on that crap.

As for the Metal Zone, I take what you're saying about knowing how to use a pedal properly but the simple fact is that the Metal Zone just isn't very good and as your musical ear develops I'm sure you'll realise that. Boss do some decent distortion/overdrive pedals like the OS-2 or Blues Driver but the Metal Zone certainly isn't one of them, in fact, it may well be the worst pedal they make. I have no doubt at all that he is wanting to sell it because he undoubtedly knows it's awful. There are no end of distortion pedals available that are better than that. Anyway, why in the name of all that is holy would you want to waste your money on crap like a Metal Zone when the Vypyr will give you all the distortion you will ever want and with much better quality? The whole point of the Vypyr is that it's an all-in-one solution. There are a number of very good high gain amp models on that amp that will give you more than enough gain by themselves and there are also overdrive and distortion effects built in if you want more boost.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
^This man speaks the truth.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well here's the thing here; I'll simply ask him to get his hands on a Vypyr He should be able to get one eventually.
The 75 watter (I assume its 75) valveking has peaked my interest, would anyone reccomend it? I always though that perhaps I needed a tube amp, and I am pretty sure I can ask my bud to get either the Vypyr or Valveking, can you just fill me in on what my choice I should make? The valveking has me more intrigued...

Edit: So apparently the Vypyr has its own line of tube amps as well as solid states. My friend can get what I need but... Idk what I need? Should I ask him to get me a Vypyr tube amp? (75 watts)
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Jan 31, 2009,
GET THE MARSHALL MG IT HAS CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!
but seriously, how much do you have to spare over the three hundred? 'cause the Valveking is quality stuff
For what you play, I'd go for a the crate v33, should be enough gain for what you need, if not get a cheap overdrive like a bad monkey. The vypyr would be a great choice, as would a vox valvetronix, the 50 watt should have enough power.

Edit: Please use the edit button, you don't need to triple post.

The valveking isn't a bad amp, especially at that price. I'd definitely try one, I'd also go out and try a vypyr, vox valvetronix, and the crate v series. I would avoid the orange crush series, not great amps, especially for the money. The boss metalzone is garbage, avoid.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 31, 2009,
Your $300 budget is proving to be VERY flexible!!

The Valve King is quite a bit over $300 new but it is a tube amp rather than modeling. That said, it is also about the cheapest tube amp of reasonable power (50w) that you can buy but it is the cheapest for a reason. The tone is reasonable but it's hardly thrilling unless you upgrade it with new valves and speaker and you will need pedals to go with it (NOT a Metal Zone!). The Vypyr does have a tube version (60w) and I would expect it to be better than the Valve King but it's also quite a bit over $300. Is your friend getting these amps after they've fallen off the back of a truck? In fact, why do you need him to get things for you; why don't you try doing things for yourself?
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Your $300 budget is proving to be VERY flexible!!

The Valve King is quite a bit over $300 new but it is a tube amp rather than modeling. That said, it is also about the cheapest tube amp of reasonable power (50w) that you can buy but it is the cheapest for a reason. The tone is reasonable but it's hardly thrilling unless you upgrade it with new valves and speaker and you will need pedals to go with it (NOT a Metal Zone!). The Vypyr does have a tube version (60w) and I would expect it to be better than the Valve King but it's also quite a bit over $300. Is your friend getting these amps after they've fallen off the back of a truck? In fact, why do you need him to get things for you; why don't you try doing things for yourself?

There are used ones on GC for 250 bucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
LOL he doesn't get this stuff stolen or anything. Well, I can get things from him cheaper, he knows a manager at a local Guitar Center so he gets everything much cheaper. That is why I need him. It just depends, because I don't know how far my 300 will go with him. He's almost like a middle man, he gets stuff from this manager for dirt cheap and sells it for more, everbody wins. And when I say he knows the manger, they are like cousins or somehting of the sort. Well, if you can recommend any good Overdrive/Distortion pedals for a modest price that would be great. I am about to ask him what he can get for me at 300, either a Valveking or a Vypyr tube amp, or perhaps the solid state amp. If he can get all of it, and just needs to know which one exactly, I need to know myself which I should go with, so which will it be?

EDIT: Okay everyone, my bud says that the Vypyr and Valveking are out of the question, he said he was thinkin either the Fender 212 or Crate 212? So? Have at it.

EDIT: I am finding out right now if he is talking about the Super-Sonic or Hot Rod DeVille. I actually think he is talkin bout the Frontman
NO don't get the frontman

politely tell him no- just use your own money to order off of guitar center either the $300 VK or the $250 VK... Has enough gain for your uses and is louder than any 75w solid state or even any 150 watt solid state.

trust me, you won't regret buying the VK
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Well can you tell me why? I have no reason to trust anyone on here... I am not being an ass, I just want to know why you scorn the Frontman and highly suggest the VK.
Because the Frontman sucks. The cleans are livable, but the distortion is god awful. I had to use one at a "Gig" once, I almost ripped my ears off in anger over the bad tone.

The VK is much better, but still needs some upgrades to be a good amp. (Speakers, tubes, etc)

But it's still lightyears ahead of the Frontman.
since im english i dont really know the exact amount $300 is, but id guess around £200 odd, but i have a vox ac30, and its an awsome amp, but pricey (like £500) but vox AC15s are also supposed to sound as good, and they are cheaper! (not sure how much so)
and also i know that loadsa companies do cheaper amps which are ac-30 based, i think bad cat do one, i heard a demo, and it sounded pretty sweet
Okay, so you guys are recommending the VK over the Vypyr?

Correct me if thats wrong.

So, what version of the VK can I get with the 300 bucks I have? The only place I think I will be able to get a new amp is GC. I mean, I am looking at the Vypyr 75 right this second, and it falls right in to my price range. My birthday is in 5 days, so my budget could increase, to 400 at the most.
You're not gonna be able to afford the Valveking unless you get a special deal.
I'd just go with the Vypyr.
Do you have experience with the Vypyr?

(What is good about it, is it good for my musical style, does it make a lot of noise, etc.)
Quote by RisingFreedom09
Do you have experience with the Vypyr?

(What is good about it, is it good for my musical style, does it make a lot of noise, etc.)

I'm pretty sure the Vyper is a modeling type amp.

I heard it's one of the best ones out there, better than VOX's Valvetronix and Roland's Microcube, etc.

I'm sure it would be passable. I'm gonna look at clips on YouTube now, I think. I'll probably need a new practice amp for uni anyways.

I haven't tried it first hand though.
Quote by RisingFreedom09
So the Vypyr 75 is my best bet then everyone?

Maybe see if you can find one in store to try out, and see if you like it.

Then report back and tell us if you like it. Actually, who cares what we think? It's all up to you, my man.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Maybe see if you can find one in store to try out, and see if you like it.

Then report back and tell us if you like it. Actually, who cares what we think? It's all up to you, my man.

Haha well said. I'm heading out to guitar center tomorrow, I shall seee then.
Page 1 of 2