is it better to get a good tube head and a cheap cab or a cheap head and expensive cab for instance an orange tiny terror head and a peavy windsor cab? or maybe a 2x12 orange cab and a b-52 head? those are some options ive been looking at. been thinking about what amp combination to get for a while.
it was something inside, it was something more than ink
My experience is that what ever produces the sound should be of better quality, so I would say that a better cabinet is what you should get. But if you have already saved up that much why not save just a bit more then spring for a good quality halfstack al together?
the 2x12 orange cab is used thats why im even considering it
it was something inside, it was something more than ink
Well you can save a little bit of money and get a 212 cab instead of a 412... There are tons of places that sell empty cabs for next to nothing. And you can get good quality speakers for cheap too, ala Warehouse Guitar Speakers.... In most cases I would say that its just as feasable and in some cases more reasonable to go with a 212...

So I would say get a good quality head of your liking and get a 212 cab...
Quote by music_mike
Well you can save a little bit of money and get a 212 cab instead of a 412... There are tons of places that sell empty cabs for next to nothing. And you can get good quality speakers for cheap too, ala Warehouse Guitar Speakers.... In most cases I would say that its just as feasable and in some cases more reasonable to go with a 212...

So I would say get a good quality head of your liking and get a 212 cab...

+1, a 2x12 cab is much smaller as well, less to carry around.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
I'd probably agree with a 2X12 and a decent head. Don't worry about he people saying blah blah blah you only need 30watts to play anywhere. If a nice head and cab presents itself I say get it. Although some combos are nice, with a head/cab combination you can always swap either one out if you tastes change or a better deal presents itself.
That is a decision that I hope I never have to make. But if i'm forced to make that decision, I would go with the better cabinet. Because when it is time to upgrade, it is much more fun and rewarding to shop for a new head. I would go with a 4x12 instead of a 2x12. If your thinking of the 2x12 I'd consider a good combo.
AL
Let me think...

1) Marshall MG100HDFX through an Orange 4x12 Cab

or

2) Orange Rocker 30 through a Marshall MG412 Cab

Option 1 might have great speakers, but you're sending a shit sound to them.
Option 2 might not have the best speakers but at least your sending a good sound to them.

Option 2 please.
404: Sig not found.
my thing with gear is...

don't skimp. You ultimately get what you pay for. It may suck to save for a few extra months, but it is very much worth it to get what is best in terms of quality (and sound preference/feel/etc) of yourself.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Tackleberry
You want a good amp. A bad amp thru good speakers still sounds bad.

But good speakers gets the best out of a bad amp.

A good amp through bad speakers sounds bad as well.
I'd stay away from the Windsor cab. I got mine because the half stacks were on sale a few months ago and the low end sucks on them. Mixing and matching is fine, just get a good head because it will make more of a difference on your tone than a good cab/bad head would.
Quote by eyebanez333
I'd stay away from the Windsor cab. I got mine because the half stacks were on sale a few months ago and the low end sucks on them. Mixing and matching is fine, just get a good head because it will make more of a difference on your tone than a good cab/bad head would.

My amp sounded like **** through a bad cab. Worse than my AVT amp through the same cab.
Quote by al112987
But good speakers gets the best out of a bad amp.

A good amp through bad speakers sounds bad as well.

Look at this from the point of future upgrades. Say you have $800. That will get you a decent (but certainly not great) amp. On the other hand it will get you one of the finest 2x12's on the planet or a "well above average" 4x12.

If you have $1600 to spend, you can get that decent amp and a great cab to play it through. If you do this, you you'll never have to worry about the cab, but the amp becomes a serious limiting factor. Or you can drop $1200 or so on a used Soldano HR50+, Mesa/Boogie MKIV, or the like and $400 on an Avatar cab. Now the cab is the limiting factor, but it's way easier to upgrade the cab. You can invest in new speakers, or do some trading. It wouldn't be hard to find a used Mesa, Genz Benz, or Orange cab at a shop and trade up with a couple hundred bucks to facilitate the deal.

Or you could just get an Avatar Contemporary cab, which is functionally identical to the Orange cab (you can even get the same speakers) and is still less than $500 (shipped) brand new.

Getting the "best" out of a crappy amp is still not getting very much. I'd much rather have the potential for great tone and be limited by the speakers.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
But see the difference is that the TS doesn't have $1600 to spend if he's talking about B-52s and Tiny Terrors. A Tiny Terror is not what I consider a high end head, and not really the type of head that you buy without thinking of upgrading in the future.
TS, as you can see from all the diffrent view points its all down to prefrence, although imho i would get the orange cab if its cheap and then save the rest wait for a great deal on ebay or something for your head i mean i got my DSL for £460 and atm their something like £760 on GAK.