ArghhaiehihfaslkeniniNK!! I feel so frusterated all the time, I just feel like I don't know anything after 3 years of guitar. I know I'm young and haven't been playing that long, but it's annoying when I can't play at the level I want to. And I just feel like I'm not going anywhere, what should I do?
keep practicing. i think most guitarists who strive to be better never really feel like they're "good enough" i've personally been playing for about 14 years and im nowhere near as good as i want to be, but thats what drives ya forward. you need to really be able to just enjoy playing even if you're not as good as you want to be and i think it's good to look back from time to time to see how far you've come.
true, but i always get discouraged when i see those musical geniuses on yt or somethin who are like 5 shredding away when I can't even hit a clean bar chord
no biggy, i get discouraged when i go up to guitar center and see an 8 year old tearing it up. i get discouraged everytime i watch a paul gilbert video. then i go back to practicing with a clear goal in mind.
If you're not interested enough to learn how music works, maybe you're not interested in music and there's an ulterior motive to why you're playing guitar (like easily impressed underaged girls).

I'm not being cruel, but if you don't enjoy it don't suffer through it. Just quit.

And you'll NEVER play at the level you want to play at. There'll always be some jerk who's better then you. My approach is, why even try? I can play what I want to play, so what if someone can mindlessly shred. I can mindfully shred alot slower.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by TeenAngst
true, but i always get discouraged when i see those musical geniuses on yt or somethin who are like 5 shredding away when I can't even hit a clean bar chord
Stuff like that can be motivating too! After seeing a video of Marshall Harrison for the first time I went downstairs and played guitar for a good 5 hours straight. Try and learn to be motivated - rather than discouraged - by all the great players you see. You can get to any level you want if you work at it.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by ramm_ty
Stuff like that can be motivating too! After seeing a video of Marshall Harrison for the first time I went downstairs and played guitar for a good 5 hours straight. Try and learn to be motivated - rather than discouraged - by all the great players you see. You can get to any level you want if you work at it.

Hell yeah. Malmsteen and Gilbert really motivate me and other people in guitar stores who are really good.

Also, see a teacher and maybe he'll help you figure out what you're looking for.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
don't get de motivated by people better than you, just look up to them and get inspiration from then instead
Quote by TeenAngst
ArghhaiehihfaslkeniniNK!! I feel so frusterated all the time, I just feel like I don't know anything after 3 years of guitar. I know I'm young and haven't been playing that long, but it's annoying when I can't play at the level I want to. And I just feel like I'm not going anywhere, what should I do?

Stop worrying what "level" you are at, and start enjoying the act of playing music on your guitar.

If you enjoy playing, you will get better..... Period.
If you play for any reason other than that, you will likely be disappointed and frustrated.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by TeenAngst

These are good points, but just wondering, what level of skill do you want to reach?
Listen to a weird experimental band, that always gets me motivated, last week it was the mars volta, and before that Zappa and Primus.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
thanks for the encouragement guys i'm not quite sure where i wanna be... i just wanna understand theory or anything for that matter
--
p.s. @life is brutal- *claps* I couldn't shred on a squier if I tried. When I had one I just felt like smashing it all the time.
Quote by TeenAngst
thanks for the encouragement guys i'm not quite sure where i wanna be... i just wanna understand theory or anything for that matter
--
p.s. @life is brutal- *claps* I couldn't shred on a squier if I tried. When I had one I just felt like smashing it all the time.

Sometimes a good gear spend up will increase your motivation. It can also be a big waste of money.
I feel that way to some times. But other days a feel like holy s**t im pretty dam good.

Dont give up ive been playing same amount of time as you.
Quote by IbanezMan65
I feel that way to some times. But other days a feel like holy s**t im pretty dam good.

Dont give up ive been playing same amount of time as you.
Jesus those quilted S series are sexy.

JEALOUSY
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Roast Beef
Sometimes a good gear spend up will increase your motivation.

It may not be a waste of money, but shopping therapy is hardly any kind of real solution, although it seems like the typical one people try. It's easy, whereas as
changing yourself is not. It is a good way to avoid your real problems though....

Seems like there's been a whole rash of these "Help me! I'm Stuck and Unmotivated" posts recently where the sufferer has been playing about 3 years. Maybe my "Honeymoon is Over (practice skill has not kept up with guitar skill)" theory has some merit!
Quote by edg
It may not be a waste of money, but shopping therapy is hardly any kind of real solution, although it seems like the typical one people try. It's easy, whereas as
changing yourself is not. It is a good way to avoid your real problems though....

Seems like there's been a whole rash of these "Help me! I'm Stuck and Unmotivated" posts recently where the sufferer has been playing about 3 years. Maybe my "Honeymoon is Over (practice skill has not kept up with guitar skill)" theory has some merit!

I'm going to counter you there, because I used to love jamming on other peoples stuff, but when I was at home, I hardly ever played because my gear was crap. And I sounded boring. And it's not 'shopping theory', it's improving and diversifying your tone. Maybe it's me, but I'd rather listen to average music on a good stereo than really good stuff on a rubbish stereo, and I feel the same way about my guitar playing.
Quote by Roast Beef
I'm going to counter you there, because I used to love jamming on other peoples stuff, but when I was at home, I hardly ever played because my gear was crap. And I sounded boring. And it's not 'shopping theory', it's improving and diversifying your tone. Maybe it's me, but I'd rather listen to average music on a good stereo than really good stuff on a rubbish stereo, and I feel the same way about my guitar playing.

Well, personally, no matter how good the equipment, if I didn't know how to keep myself motivated and progressing, it would not keep my playing. If you really think that will keep you motivated with lasting benefit, consider yourself lucky. That's pretty easy. I have a lot of great equipment and I'll never need anything else. But, if all I had left was my cheap office guitar, even no amp, I'd still play as much as I do now.
Quote by edg
Well, personally, no matter how good the equipment, if I didn't know how to keep myself motivated and progressing, it would not keep my playing. If you really think that will keep you motivated with lasting benefit, consider yourself lucky. That's pretty easy. I have a lot of great equipment and I'll never need anything else. But, if all I had left was my cheap office guitar, even no amp, I'd still play as much as I do now.

Of course, having nice gear is well, nice, but the love of music is obviously more important. It's frustrating when the quality of your gear doesn't allow you to do a decent gig, or just sound good at a jam. And if you can't play gigs or jam, then you are missing out on a big part of the guitar experience, IMO.
I have days were i suck playing, and days were i feel i'm playing **** hot.
I been playing for coming up to 2 years, and i remember not even going near songs like Cowboys from Hell or Battery, even Fight Fire with Fire because i really couldnt play them. Now i can do FFWF pretty decently, most of Battery, and CFW i still need work but can do most of the riffs. I try n play riffs i thought i couldnt do before, and when i do them it gives such a feel of accomplishment.
There's a great book you (and every other guitarist for that matter), should check out; Zen Guitar. There's nothing in it like scales or excercises. This is going to sound strange, but it's like a Martial Arts discipline approach to guitar. It teaches you how to focus on the things we all need to focus on, in order to become better musicians. It's a very easy read. And the advise is really practical. Whenever I feel like I'm getting into a rut, I'll go through it again. Most libraries will probably carry it, if you don't want to spend 12 bucks on it.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by Roast Beef
And if you can't play gigs or jam, then you are missing out on a big part of the guitar experience, IMO.

It's just a part of the experience, but if that's where your motivation and inspiration come from, then it's really a lot like new gear. It's turning over responsibility for your inner state to external circumstances and conditions. When you do that, inspiration and motivation just seem to "happen" to you outside of your control.

The way I started looking at things, and the only thing I've found to work and last worth a damn, is taking responsibility for my own motivations. Spirit is something we HAVE and inspiration is being "in the spirit". It should be a natural state. When it's not, something has gone wrong and the place to look for the solution is where the problem is -- that's in your head, not in some external thing.

I lost motivation for guitar for 8 years. Didn't pick it up once. I think I pretty much exhausted all the external placebos I tried to fix it with. When I picked it up again, I tried looking for the real source of the problem. In a nutshell: when I don't have control over my own progress, I lose interest. That in turn lead to: where was I losing control? My solution was: if I fixed how I practiced and my attitude about it, then maybe that would give me control of my progress, which in turn would keep my motivation up. As it turned out, that actually works. Everyone is different, but I'd be pretty surprised if some element of this isn't in play for all the "Help! I've lost my motivation!" posts.
To the TS - it sounds like your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to be at a certain level. Seriously, don't worry about that. The only person you should ever compare yourself to is you. To me, one of the nicest moments when playing guitar is when it dawns on you that you are doing something a lot better than you were a little while back. If you are constantly comparing yourself to Vai, Satriana, Gilbert, Romeo, Batio, [insert godlike being of choice]..or even "normal" players that are a fair bit ahead of you - you're always going to be down on yourself and not be able to enjoy those moments when you realize that you really are improving.

I don't know a whole lot about home construction, but a few times over the years there has been a site where they are building a house on my drive into work. It's an interesting process to watch, when you are seeing it once a day, like a timelapse. They will start building the foundations, and it seems like forever that just driving by it seems like nothing is happening. Then they get done with the foundation, and this house pops up like a mushroom in the space of a couple of weeks.

The process of improving at playing the guitar is exactly like this. Most of the time you are laying the foundations. During that time, try not to get frustrated, or expect to see weekly results - just concentrate on building good foundations, and when they are sufficiently strong you will get your rapid visible improvement.

Best of luck!
Thanks se, I guess your right about the improvement, it's just that I feel like I'm not going anywhere sometimes. I've also been playing piano for 5 years and just got bored on that and stopped trying. I never really enjoyed it as much as guitar though.

I don't think gear is my problem, I feel like I know absoloutely NOTHING about music theory that I should, and whenever I ask my guitar teacher he will explain stuff to me roughly and say we'll learn about it later and I'll sit there with a blank look on my face because I have no idea what he's saying.
Quote by edg
It's just a part of the experience, but if that's where your motivation and inspiration come from, then it's really a lot like new gear. It's turning over responsibility for your inner state to external circumstances and conditions. When you do that, inspiration and motivation just seem to "happen" to you outside of your control.

The way I started looking at things, and the only thing I've found to work and last worth a damn, is taking responsibility for my own motivations. Spirit is something we HAVE and inspiration is being "in the spirit". It should be a natural state. When it's not, something has gone wrong and the place to look for the solution is where the problem is -- that's in your head, not in some external thing.

I lost motivation for guitar for 8 years. Didn't pick it up once. I think I pretty much exhausted all the external placebos I tried to fix it with. When I picked it up again, I tried looking for the real source of the problem. In a nutshell: when I don't have control over my own progress, I lose interest. That in turn lead to: where was I losing control? My solution was: if I fixed how I practiced and my attitude about it, then maybe that would give me control of my progress, which in turn would keep my motivation up. As it turned out, that actually works. Everyone is different, but I'd be pretty surprised if some element of this isn't in play for all the "Help! I've lost my motivation!" posts.

But I don't really want to get better, I just enjoy playing guitar.
There's a difference between having terrible equipment ie needing a guitar that can be tuned and having decent equipment, just not a $2000 guitar and a Marshall half-stack.

Practice is always important, so work on your physical technique, music theory, and ear training.

That said, I shut off my computer and cell phone, closed the blinds on my bedroom window, locked my door, and played (quite loudly) with my phaser for six hours when I first got it. Something like that can spark creativity; you suddenly have the ability to create a sound you couldn't previously create.

I suggest that you analyze where you struggle. There's nothing wrong with buying a stompbox, but if you just play boring scalar licks or you can't pick well, your stompbox will not fix that.

Mind you, I read edg's post about equipment, the one after it, and nothing else in this thread.
hey i noticed u posted something about needing help...whatever u neec let me know!!! i really want to help even though ive been playing for a year and 4 months!
Quote by TeenAngst

No one has really gave you much useful advice yet. Im sure you have been practising and playing, but you arent getting anywhere, so the advice to just practice more and play is absolutely useless. I think the problem here is that your not practising correctly, you dont know what to practice, and you probally arent playing with correct technique. I would strongly suggest a guitar teacher who can show you how and what to practise, and also correct any bad habbits you may have. So many guitar players neglet learning the fundamentals early on and then wonder why years later they have got no where with their playing, you may have to go back to basics.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I just read you do have a guitar teacher, it really sounds like you need to find a new one!! Also I would recommend learning to read music notation, it can really open alot of new idea in your playing.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.

Was that towards me? Well thank you. BTW, lowering the action a bit on them helps alot.

Recently Ive been looking into rusty cooley (God he is good) and I looked at a under the influence tab to try it. I put my guitar down and drank some coffee, thinking I sucked.

Then I picked it back up, took a second shot at it and it wasn't that bad. I was able to do most of the licks, and was able to get a decent handle on the song.

Albeit difficult and frusterating, but you have to get back at it otherwise you'll never improve.

Try a song you tried along time ago, go and play it, and it'll seem so much easier now, and you'll see all your improvement over the years.
Try to remember when powerchords were hard, and see how much better you are now.
Besides, don't focus on where your at according to others, focus on the music. Play what you want to play. Play for playings sake.

BTW way if you need help with anything (Shred, sweep, eco, alt, finger, picking) Ill help you. PM me.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Feb 25, 2009,