okay, first i just wanna say i pretty much suck so please dont flame me. okay secondly i need help with sweep picking ive looked up like youtube vids but could not seem to get it, so what are some sweep picking tips/ warm ups the you do.

okay hope i wasnt asking too much but, anyways any help would be very appreciated.

thanks,
ilikepie15
Last edited by ilikepie15 at Jan 30, 2009,
If you're not sure what alternate-picking is, you shouldnt really be attempting sweep picking, learn to alternate pick first. Sweep picking is a fairly advanced technique... (I'm no expert... just getting into sweep picking myself) so i'd like the answers to your question just as much as you do
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
yeah, i realized it was the same thing as double picking i already have that down extremely well
Last edited by ilikepie15 at Jan 30, 2009,
LOL at the fact you want to learn how to sweep before alternate picking.

alternate picking is a HUGE ASS deal, and i HEAVILY suggest you learn how to do that first.

and by "learn how to do it" i mean "master it"

because it really is a foundation for all other techniques to be based on.

-- tips for sweeping (and guitar stuff in general, as there is no hidden secrets)

-start slow (i mean snail slow, un fun slow, 30 bpm slow)
--Use a metronome, or something to make sure you are in time
---dont tense any muscles at all when playing
----START SLOW

that more or less sums up guitar.

everything comes with practice. if you practice correctly, it will come quicker, and easier.

go to the lesson section of UG and suss it all out !!

good luck.
*Enter Sig Here*
SPEED IS A BYPRODUCT OF ACCURACY!

and please, if you are just a beginner, do not attempt sweep picking. master alternate picking first, then at least learn a little theory as to forming arpeggio's, that way when you tackle sweep picking, not only will your picking technique be ready, but you will be able to understand the lessons on sweep picking better.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Sweep picking when you cant alternate pick? gosh.. what is the world coming to..

Please dont be one of those players on youtube that can sweep pick at blistering speeds but cant improv over a simple 4 chord track..

There are soooo many other things you need to explore before you go so far. How about learning proper bending technique? Ive seen so many ppl suck at that even though they can sweep real well..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
guys, i know how to alternate pick, i just always knew it as double picking and not alternate, and i think im ready for sweep picking, in fact iknow im ready
how long you been playing?

Although if you yourself admit you suck then you're no way ready for sweep picking. Sweeping is something good players branch into because they're starting to hit the limit of what's possible with more conventional techniques, it's not something sucky players attempt because they're crap at everything else. You have to already be pretty competent to tackle sweep picking, if you suck at everything else then you won't get anywhere with sweeping.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 30, 2009,
ive been playing for 5 years, and i think i have sweep picking down (well, still working on speed). i know i dont suck but, i can play like some really hard things, but yet fail to play things that i should know, like i can play alot of eruption but yet have trouble with some chords (like the ones where you hlod every string down with 1 finger, barre?). and dont know alot of termonology.

but anyways, im sure youre thinking its BS, but whatever.
then stop sweep picking and instead learn how to play the guitar - there's no point wating time learning a showboat technique when your core skills are woefully underdeveloped.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com