So I've been playing bass for 2 years or so (had my bass for longer though) and I find that its time to get a new bass. I really don't like the sound of my bass and that's mostly because of the strings but I really want to get a new bass altogether instead of just switching the strings. I have money to spare and I want a bass that will last me for a long while. I'm willing to spend 400-600 dollars for a new bass. I don't mind whether if its a P or a J-bass since I've heard it doesn't make THAT much of a difference (correct me if I'm wrong). I've had in mind the Fender Standard P-bass but I've heard mixed reviews about it. So anyway I'm hoping anyone can recommend me a good bass and mention why it is a good choice for me. Also I'm probably going to get new strings too for my new bass so....any suggestions for that as well?

Btw yes I know I've never posted before....I've been on the UG forums before but just never wanted to become a member since I am not a forum junkie... Oh and thanks in advance
I think you'd be happy with a Fender J or P, but they are a bit different. It is preference, but the necks are different. Jazz neck is fairly thin while the Precision is a bit thicker.

Also, what's your current bass?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Need more information.

What bass do you have now?
What music do you play?
What sort of amp/cab/combo do you have?
What sort of strings do you have on your bass, or are looking to put on your new one.
When do you want to buy this new bass (read: can you wait another month and buy something slightly better/more expensive or do you need it now)?
Opps forgot to mention my current bass. Its an Ibanez GAXB...got it pretty cheap awhile back...I don't remember the price though. I play a lot of stuff but mostly rock in general and hardly any jazz or classical. My amp is a Fender Rumble 15 and I have a Boss ODB-3 as my pedal. I really don't know which type of strings I have on my bass....never switched them once I got the bass :S. They feel very rigid compared to the strings that my friends have. I really need a bass now...I got 1000 dollars in my account but I can't blow all that on a bass. Thanks for the help
What do you make of the ibanez you have? A while back when i upgraded my bass i went for the ibanez edb-700 which is absolutely beautiful, easy to play and you get a terrific sound straight from the box.

if you like the ibanez get an edb!!!

also if you can, get the ceb-3 chorus pedal, it'll make your bass sound much nicer in the cleaner sections of your songs :]

good luck!
Fender Rumble 15?

you need a new amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Fender Rumble 15?

you need a new amp.

This
Just change the strings on your old bass and spend the money on a good amp to make your bass sound better
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Prudence_
Crap XD...what do you recommend then....something not TOO pricey

for 350, you can get an Acoustic B200 combo. solidly clean, punchy 12 inch speaker, 6 band EQ, for a more exact sound, and 200 watts.

with the extra money, you might even be able to buy a new bass too. 250? a Squier VM or used MIM maybe.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

WEll the rumble will do you if you are just a bedroom player but otherwise, it will be fine for allthose bedrooms aspects.
Otherwise get a new amp first. WEll second hand or third.

Fender jazz is pretty wicked anyway. Cant gho wrong anyway. Go try alad of stuff out. How old are your current strings. It seems a bit of a drastic measurre, for new strings to go and buy a new bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
15 watter? 2 years? rumble? they sound good for a decade or so treated right, but if he's a good rocker that bad boys been cranked to 11 countless times.

and the amp will really make a difference. you know what, get an AB50, cheaper, punchier, dual input so you can jam with a guitarist whenever you want. plus, the thing is pretty easy to use.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yeah I know its a bit drastic but like...I actually don't know if getting new strings will make it better because I always thought the Ibanez GAXB was like a very cheap bass. When I play my friend's bass it sounds a lot better and I find its easier to play (maybe its just me). So I guess the question is whether getting a new bass would make more of a difference as oppose to just getting new strings for my current bass.

And yes I know my amp kind of sucks but its mostly for bedroom playing at the moment. I know I need a better amp but I think that could wait seeing how I only need it for bedroom playing at the moment (unless if the sound will change substantially). Sorry I have a lot of questions :S.
Have you changed your strings in 2 years.
I reackon than 400 for the bass, a used MIM jazz bass, and 300 for a slightly better amp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
600 top right?

200 for AB50.
400 for whatever else. a Squire VM jazz is about 300. that's 500 bucks. you can make that, it would be way better than whatever you come up with.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

what bass has your mate got? if you like his bass, why don't you get the same model he has, rather than ask some strangers who dont know your style what bass will suit you
Nope haven't changed my strings since the day I got my bass (so I kept the strings that were already on the bass when I bought it which was more then 2 years). And now that I found out I need a new amp...I could push my max limit to 800 dollars. Btw thanks for the help everyone XD...oh yeah I'm leaving for work now so I'm not going to reply very fast.
Quote by Prudence_
Nope haven't changed my strings since the day I got my bass (so I kept the strings that were already on the bass when I bought it which was more then 2 years). And now that I found out I need a new amp...I could push my max limit to 800 dollars. Btw thanks for the help everyone XD...oh yeah I'm leaving for work now so I'm not going to reply very fast.

well, you should probably change the strings on your old one anyways. it will make it good for gigs in risky areas and having something to use if you need something fixed on your other one.
780 bucks.
so, now that we have that, AB50. it'll do for jams and small gigs, and if you're practicing, really nice sound.
580 bucks.
with what's left, look at:
punchy/growly
Ibanez ATK300
Fender Jazz
Ibanez EDB550
Ibanez SRX390
Traben Array Standard
smooth/thumpy
Ibanez SR500
Schecter 004
Schecter Stiletto series
Ibanez Artcore seies
Peavey Grind
Fender Precision

this can be further divided, but depending on which sounds better to you, you'll have to decide which way to go.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Prefacing this: I am a really big Hartke and ESP fan, so take any advice I give you with a grain of salt as such.

I agree with everyone else here talking about getting new strings as well as a new bass and amp. If you can stretch your budget to $800, I would get the following, given you play rock.
Amp: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Kickback%2012%201x12%20Bass%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49981422_cmCategorySA182894 IF YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AFFORD BOTH, GET THIS (capped for emphasis) 120 watts will be more than enough to power any sort of gig that you're likely to be doing in the near future. The 12 inch cone is pretty standard for a single speaker combo amp. The aluminum cone gives you a really tight sound imo, and it lets you turn up your bass a bit more than normal, while still letting your mids and highs cut through for a real punchy sound, which I personally find is best suited to metal. If you don't like that sort of punch, get this: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_B900%201x15%20Bass%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49982937_cmCategorySA182894
Its a 1x15, so your lows will really rumble, and its a paper cone, so your bass will come through a bit deeper than in the aluminum cone. Either one of these amps is a solid choice, it just comes down mainly to your preference in sound.
They're both $350, so that brings your spendable total down to 400ish, factoring in tax and new strings.
For your bass: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_F154DX%20LTD%204%20String%20Bass%20See%20Thru%20Black_-1_10052_10002_-49959302_cmCategorySA182949

I've played this bass a lot, and its quite versatile as far as the sound you're able to get out of it. It has a pan knob on it, which I like a LOT, the 24 frets are nice, the tone out of it though is pretty awesome for the money. Its not a neck through version, like the more expensive models, so that a down side, but it plays great.

Second option: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Vintage%20Modified%20Jazz%204%20String%20Bass%20Natural_-1_10052_10002_-49976247_cmCategorySA181184
I like just about everything about the Jazz as far as how it plays and sounds. The two pickup spots are really sweet for alternating your tone, the neck plays great, and the look is as classic as you get.

Third option: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_LTD%20D4%204%20String%20Bass%20Natural%20Stain_-1_10052_10002_-49974061_cmCategorySA182949

I saved this for option 3, when its really option 1 in my mind, because of the cost, which would put you over your already stretched budget. If you can afford to wait a week, this would be the bass I would get.

Those are my opinions, take them for what you will.
^he really likes ESP's, for anything but metal, they are at best ok.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

As I said, I like ESP a whole lot, and I play mostly metal. That being said he said he plays heavy rock, so if its a bit more on the metal side of the rock-o-meter, then I think they'd be a good fit for him, especially given the price.
Quote by sloasdaylight
As I said, I like ESP a whole lot, and I play mostly metal. That being said he said he plays heavy rock, so if its a bit more on the metal side of the rock-o-meter, then I think they'd be a good fit for him, especially given the price.

and if he ever wants to play some jazz in school, he's gonna sound like Drew Carey farting in a can.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

He asked what to buy for what hes playing now, which is to say rock. I gave my opinion on the matter, prefaced it by saying I'm a fan of ESP, we've established that I play mostly metal, and as a result my opinion will be influenced by what I play and what I play it with. Everyone has their own opinions, likes, dislikes and tastes.

Nice job overstating the effect of playing something other than metal on an ESP by the way, I'm in awe of your knowledge of every model of bass and how to mix eqs, pickups and amps to create sounds.
Quote by sloasdaylight
He asked what to buy for what hes playing now, which is to say rock. I gave my opinion on the matter, prefaced it by saying I'm a fan of ESP, we've established that I play mostly metal, and as a result my opinion will be influenced by what I play and what I play it with. Everyone has their own opinions, likes, dislikes and tastes.

Nice job overstating the effect of playing something other than metal on an ESP by the way, I'm in awe of your knowledge of every model of bass and how to mix eqs, pickups and amps to create sounds.

oh my.

well somebody needs to calm down.

I need to stop trying to be witty, I piss too many people off.

but, as I said, the jazz is a more viable option.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yea, I'm sure everyone else laughs their ass off when you say their bass will sound like Drew Carey farting in a can.

Please, spare us your wit, its clearly too far above us.
Quote by sloasdaylight
Yea, I'm sure everyone else laughs their ass off when you say their bass will sound like Drew Carey farting in a can.

Please, spare us your wit, its clearly too far above us.

I've made similar comments about my own bass.

it's nothing personal.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Wow...I can't thank you guys enough. I'm probably going to change strings first and see how that works and definitely get the AB50. I'm going to check out the basses you guys have listed at a local music store and try them out for myself. I got a few in mind (Ibanez ATK300, Fender Jazz, Ibanez SRX390, Ibanez SR500, Fender Precision, Squire VM jazz). I don't think I'm going to get a ESP seeing how I need something a bit more versatile. Thanks a lot anyway though...I really like hearing about experience with a certain bass. And thanks the humanity....I really owe you XD.
Quote by Prudence_
Wow...I can't thank you guys enough. I'm probably going to change strings first and see how that works and definitely get the AB50. I'm going to check out the basses you guys have listed at a local music store and try them out for myself. I got a few in mind (Ibanez ATK300, Fender Jazz, Ibanez SRX390, Ibanez SR500, Fender Precision, Squire VM jazz). I don't think I'm going to get a ESP seeing how I need something a bit more versatile. Thanks a lot anyway though...I really like hearing about experience with a certain bass. And thanks the humanity....I really owe you XD.

you may send a check to me via paypal, pm for my account.

what you thought this advice is free?

yeah good luck. if you make it big, send me your greatest hits CD.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard