Well, since I saw that my tax return was going to be about 500$ ... I figured that I might want to invest that money in a guitar. I'm really not sure about any brand in particular, and at this point I'm still debating everything. I don't know if I'll have exactly $500, but I will save about $20 a week until I achieve a desired amount, plus my return.

Anyways, that's all I know about my finances. I'll be using the guitar mainly for a lot of fingerpicking (I mean like 75% of what I play on it) with the rest being strummed or what not... Versatility would be a good thing.

I'm looking for a cutaway on either a dreadnought or a jumbo body... I don't really care which. Volume doesn't matter so much since I'll probably play it plugged in about half the time.

I'm also really torn on whether to get a laminate or a solid top. I don't know much about caring for a solid top, and my house gets ridiculously humid over the summers... and dries out like a desert over the winter. Plus, I like to bring my guitar outside with me, and I don't want to crack the top... or bang it into anything if it's more fragile than a laminate.

Finally, I don't really care about the looks of the guitar... I would prefer to not have a fancy finish. However, looks take a back seat to sound and playability.

TL;DR:

Help me pick a guitar for $400-550 price range for mostly fingerpicking.

Inform me about solid top versus laminate tops in terms of sound, durabilty and maitenance.

Suggest brands and models... I'm looking into takamine's at the moment. But I don't care what brand it is as long as it's superb.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Also, suggest things lower than my price range if they are decent guitars. I'll check anything out.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Last edited by Bushinarin at Jan 30, 2009,
SOLID TOP! It is harder to take care of a solid top, but the exchange between amount of required care and tone isn't comparable.

So you want a Takamine A/E for $500? Dreadnaught cutaway? Get what I'm going to get.

The EG363SC
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
SOLID TOP! It is harder to take care of a solid top, but the exchange between amount of required care and tone isn't comparable.

So you want a Takamine A/E for $500? Dreadnaught cutaway? Get what I'm going to get.

The EG363SC

What kind of care goes into a solid top though? And would it be safe to take camping like up the mountains in the summer? Temperatures go from like 90 degree's during the day to like 50 at night... I don't want any damage

Of course, I could always bring my old guitar out and about with me...

Click me, or I'll die.

Yeah, that's what I would do is take your old one along with you. That's what I'm going to do when I get a new guitar. The nice one will be for home practicing and going to indoor stuff, like church and school, and my old all-lam guitar will be for outdoor stuff, and basically getting abused.

I feel bad saying that, but I knew good and well when I got my first guitar that eventually it would be my beater guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Yeah, that's what I would do is take your old one along with you. That's what I'm going to do when I get a new guitar. The nice one will be for home practicing and going to indoor stuff, like church and school, and my old all-lam guitar will be for outdoor stuff, and basically getting abused.

I feel bad saying that, but I knew good and well when I got my first guitar that eventually it would be my beater guitar.

See, I'm not cool enough to have indoor stuff . I play behind school's and stuff... out front of supermarkets.

I only have a few friends that I jam with, and it's always at my place.

Would you recommend getting a humidifier? Or a hard case? Or both?

Click me, or I'll die.

Both. Solid wood needs to be kept at a humidity level of 40-50% when being stored. You see, a soft case doesn't regulate humidity very well. You want a hard case, and ideally, one with a built-in hygrometer (humidity guage).

You'll be fine playing a solid top guitar outdoors.

Oh, by the way, when I said get that guitar, I really mean try it out, and if you like it, THEN get it. Of course, I'm sure you already knew that, right?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Take a look at some Laguna guitars. It's a bit of a small brand but it offers great quality for the price since you're not paying for a big brand name. I personally have thisand love it. A friend of mine ended up buying its bass partner since it was the best one he found in the entire store and is completely in love with it. I tried mine out against other guitars in the same price range and it totally beat all of them. A couple of weeks ago i tried out some more guitars and still prefer mine over them except for a $1700 Martin i found, and even then it wasn't so much of an upgrade to justify the huge price difference. Also, be weary of Takamines. I tried some out and they felt horrible for the price.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Natrone
Both. Solid wood needs to be kept at a humidity level of 40-50% when being stored. You see, a soft case doesn't regulate humidity very well. You want a hard case, and ideally, one with a built-in hygrometer (humidity guage).

You'll be fine playing a solid top guitar outdoors.

Oh, by the way, when I said get that guitar, I really mean try it out, and if you like it, THEN get it. Of course, I'm sure you already knew that, right?

Of course! I wouldn't order anything without trying it first!

I'm so paranoid about a solid top cracking though. What kind of temperature or humidity change would be significant enough to cause warping or a crack?

Quote by evening_crow
Take a look at some Laguna guitars. It's a bit of a small brand but it offers great quality for the price since you're not paying for a big brand name. I personally have thisand love it. A friend of mine ended up buying its bass partner since it was the best one he found in the entire store and is completely in love with it. I tried mine out against other guitars in the same price range and it totally beat all of them. A couple of weeks ago i tried out some more guitars and still prefer mine over them except for a $1700 Martin i found, and even then it wasn't so much of an upgrade to justify the huge price difference. Also, be weary of Takamines. I tried some out and they felt horrible for the price.

I'll be sure to try that out when I go!

It has loads of good reviews. Thanks!

Click me, or I'll die.

Last edited by Bushinarin at Jan 30, 2009,
It has to be pretty drastic with temperature changes. I mean, obviously you don't want to take it from inside a 70 degree house to 20 degrees outside. That's instant death for a guitar.

If you have to play it in the cold, leave it in the case outside for a while so it can slowly adjust to the temperature change. Inside of the hard case, the temperature changes much more slowly. Do the same thing when you're done. Put the guitar in your hardcase, close it, and let it warm up slowly.

Humidity is a different beast all together. High humidity will cause the wood to swell and purely cause the guitar to sound bad. When a guitar is too dry is when you run into problems. When the wood dries, it shrinks, and this shrinking is what causes the wood to split and crack. So really, the humidity level is more than just a way to prevent damage to your guitar. It's also a way to make sure your guitar sounds the way it's supposed to.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
It has to be pretty drastic with temperature changes. I mean, obviously you don't want to take it from inside a 70 degree house to 20 degrees outside. That's instant death for a guitar.

If you have to play it in the cold, leave it in the case outside for a while so it can slowly adjust to the temperature change. Inside of the hard case, the temperature changes much more slowly. Do the same thing when you're done. Put the guitar in your hardcase, close it, and let it warm up slowly.

Humidity is a different beast all together. High humidity will cause the wood to swell and purely cause the guitar to sound bad. When a guitar is too dry is when you run into problems. When the wood dries, it shrinks, and this shrinking is what causes the wood to split and crack. So really, the humidity level is more than just a way to prevent damage to your guitar. It's also a way to make sure your guitar sounds the way it's supposed to.

Ah! I think that I'm beginning to understand. So would you recommend something to this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kyser-Lifeguard-6-or-12-String-Acoustic-Guitar-Humidifier-421904-i1134469.gc

Or would that damage the electronics in the guitar?

Click me, or I'll die.

That's exactly what to get. It won't damage your electronics. Don't worry.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
That's exactly what to get. It won't damage your electronics. Don't worry.

Thank you so very much. You've eased a lot of my worries and taught me a good bit about acoustic guitars...

Now I just need to do my taxes... Uuuggghhh .

So:
  • Solid top > Laminate top.
  • I must care for the solid top more (get a hard case and a humidifier).
  • Try everything in my price range that meets my criteria at my local stores.

... Now I just need to go do it.

Click me, or I'll die.

No problem dude!

Now I'm just looking forward to seeing an NGD thread sometime in the future!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
No problem dude!

Now I'm just looking forward to seeing an NGD thread sometime in the future!

NGD? This acronym confuses me.

Click me, or I'll die.

NGD stands for new guitar day.

Basically a thread to show off your new toy and let people know how awesome you are for having a new guitar
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
NGD stands for new guitar day.

Basically a thread to show off your new toy and let people know how awesome you are for having a new guitar

Thanks again dude. I probably won't get the guitar for another few months yet. But it gives me time to think about everything and play different models and such.

As for now... it's 2AM. I'm gonna go to bed.

Thanks again dude, good night!

Click me, or I'll die.