Using a locking nut on a TOM would be fine wouldn't it? Would it give any extra sustain?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Nope. It wouldnt give any noticeable sustain increase, and when you lock down the nut, the strings would all go sharp. You need fine tuners with a locking nut.
Yeah you cant do that unless you have a bridge or tail peice with fine tuners.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You could fit locking tuners, but you don't say why you are looking at fitting a locking nut in the first place.
Quote by littlephil
Nope. It wouldnt give any noticeable sustain increase, and when you lock down the nut, the strings would all go sharp. You need fine tuners with a locking nut.

This.
Why do you want to put a locking nut on? Just put a normal nut on, if its already routed for the locking nut just dont lock it down...
If you want a guitar thats a pain to tune then its a good idea. Without fine tuners you will have to get out the allen wrench everytime you want to tune. Not sure where the idea that sustain would be increased came from.
Quote by Tackleberry
If you want a guitar thats a pain to tune then its a good idea. Without fine tuners you will have to get out the allen wrench everytime you want to tune. Not sure where the idea that sustain would be increased came from.

Actually, you won't be able to keep your guitar in tune at all with a locking nut unless you have fine tuners on your bridge. As mentioned above, when you lock the nut down, the strings go sharp (and you adjust this by using the fine tuners). If your bridge doesn't have fine tuners, you guitar will always be sharp when you lock the nut down. So either get a bridge with fine tuners, or don't get a locking nut. If tuning stability is an issue for you, I suggest getting a set of locking tuners.
Yeah, like everyone else said, it's not worth it. Buy something like locking tuners and a graphite nut if you want your guitar to stay in tune better.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by guitarcam123
Why do you want to put a locking nut on? Just put a normal nut on, if its already routed for the locking nut just dont lock it down...

Could I do this? I'm buying a pre-made neck and i can't find any for a reasonable price with a regular nut that arn't a fender shape.
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by davo_333
Could I do this? I'm buying a pre-made neck and i can't find any for a reasonable price with a regular nut that arn't a fender shape.

I don't know if a regular nut would fit if the neck is already routed for a locking nut. But yeah you could put a locking nut on there and just not lock it down.
you could get a bit of the same coloured wood and put that on the nut shelf then route for a standard fender nut