obviously this is a stupid question
but i feel directionless when i pick up the guitar. i just sort of play random notes and chords not knowing what the eff i'm doing.
i'm trying to learn theory, but when it comes to actually playing more than just the scales and modes up and down the neck... well, i don't know what to do with it? i can't even really "hear" what i'm doing.
i should probably just learn to play my favorite songs and maybe try to analyze them. i used to know so many songs and i forgot them all.
Try learning some common chord progressions and use your own rhythm ideas.

If that doesn't spark the urge to play within you then maybe it's time you picked up another hobby...
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by sethp

i should probably just learn to play my favorite songs and maybe try to analyze them.

this
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
start using your ears then - it sounds like you've learned from tabs and have been too focussed on simply moving your fingers to the right places rather than really listening to what it is you've been playing, that means you're struggling to make the association between what you do with your hands and the sounds you're making.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
start using your ears then - it sounds like you've learned from tabs and have been too focussed on simply moving your fingers to the right places rather than really listening to what it is you've been playing, that means you're struggling to make the association between what you do with your hands and the sounds you're making.

This 100%
You're alright. I've been at that precipice too when I was a squire. Keep practicing your scales. Even if they don't make sense now. Work on your articulation to pass time. Come up with your own chord progressions. Find "off the beaten path challenges" like playing chords in different time signatures. Learn some covers. It will take a while but you will get it. I've been playing for 25 years and I'm still learning. As you ears start getting familiar with the sounds in the scales and chords the pieces of the puzzle will begin to fit one by one. Until then, when you strum a chord try to hear every note in it. You don't have to identify each note by ear, just listen for them at this point.
AL
What I do when I'm having trouble coming up with stuff on the guitar, is I just sing melodies out loud. Imagine music in your head, and it will soon be in your ears. Remember, knowing theory doesn't make you a good musician, you've got to develop your ear.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by sethp

i should probably just learn to play my favorite songs and maybe try to analyze them.

There ya go

Alot of people caught up in all the stuff they "should" learn to become "good" that they often forget about the obvious..... the music.

Basically you need to connect with the instrument in an aural way. Playing music is the best way to do this. keep listening, keep playing, keep studying........ Enjoy rather than judge.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 30, 2009,