Page 1 of 2
hi everyone, i was at this antique/junk store and found a guitar body. It only cost 12 dollars so i bought it. Only problem is i don't know who made it . This is the guitar body.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5630/img0104eq2.jpg

as you can see i am in the middle of sanding the old paint off it. I want to do my own paint job.

I also did measurements of the gaps between the pick up cavities and stuff. Here they are.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8133/guitarmeasurementsjw6.jpg

so yea, i was wondering if anyone knows what kind of guitar neck i can use and how much frests should this neck have. ANy help would be appreciate. I really want to try and build my own guitar because i really cant aford a nice one. I have been using a dean xm for the last 2 years.

oh, by the way if you can i.d the guitar i would most aprechiate it. And any suggestions on what paint color to use would also be cool. THx guys.
you can use any type of neck, although the scale length may be off, meaning you may have to route the neck pocket towards the bridge or add shims.
Buy necks from:
Mighty Mite
All Parts (cheaper through LP Addict, PM him)
Stewmac (i think they sells necks)
Luthier Supplies (theres usually one for each country

Google guitar necks...
could you get the width and depth of the neck pocket too please? Thanks!
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
go to ebay and put in Eden Guitar Necks. Those necks are priced really well and look decent enough.
Quote by JagStang5246
go to ebay and put in Eden Guitar Necks. Those necks are priced really well and look decent enough.

+1

Mighty Mite makes some good necks for the price too

Quote by LateStart
Uhh, do you want me to be the one to tell you what you just ruined? Or you want to hear it from someone else?

You will be sick my friend.

I was personally wondering about EDEN necks back when I started my build and I was told to stay away from them, not very good quality I was told.
Warmoth necks are a decent price, I ended up buying a mahogany/rosewood paddle neck from allparts for 180 and its gorgeous. some of the best rosewood ive ever seen.
I have 2 electrics, both warmoth guitars w/ warmoth necks, both bare rosewood. Best feeling neck ever...bare, and that OK, won't go all pretzel-like on you.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by LateStart
Uhh, do you want me to be the one to tell you what you just ruined? Or you want to hear it from someone else?

You will be sick my friend.

oo what do you mean?
if that's what I think it is, i'm gonna laugh. then cry. then laugh again

btw, if you need a neck with the shelf for a floyd locking nut, I have an extra one i could sell you
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
if that's what I think it is, i'm gonna laugh. then cry. then laugh again

btw, if you need a neck with the shelf for a floyd locking nut, I have an extra one i could sell you

come on chief, fill me in pleeeeeeeease.
I lol'd.

Way to go, OP.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Oh my ****ing god OP. You didn't..
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Would that have once been a Soloist?

Not sure what the square cutout near the knobs would be though...
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by chuckflan333
Oh my ****ing god OP. You didn't..

cmon guys, tell me whats up?????????????
Oh my fucking god, please tell me you didnt...
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Ive never seen that body shape before, id like to know what it is/was. Looks pretty cool tho.
I'm confused.

What did this guy do?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
lol... I sense there's more to this that we're not seeing...

<.<
>.>

o.o
------

Shwiggity.
I have no idea what that thing is, but for some reason I have a feeling that body is (or maybe was) worth much more than $12
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I have no idea what that thing is, but for some reason I have a feeling that body is (or maybe was) worth much more than $12

if thats the case, i could care less. Alls i did was sand some of the white paint off. I mean i dont get whats the big deal. If some one could please tell me what kinda guitar it was i would really thank them because i want to get the right neck for it. The guy at the store is just as oblivious as me. And if there is like something wrong with this guitar then who cares it was only my 12 dollar experiment lulz.

LOL what could this body be even worth?? 20 bux at most...ooo wow talk about burning a hole in my pants.
its either some vintage instrument or all the guys are joking around....

i am yet to find the answer
ts, my best guess would be that your guitar body is from an ibanez radius 442r. Those guitars have 22 frets and im pretty sure it is 25.5 scale. you should be able to order a replacement neck from warmoth, as the measurements you gave should match up with their necks. I would like to see more pics and the depth of the neck pocket though (a shot of the back of the guitar would be great too)

I again don't know if that is the right the guitar model, its just my best guess. (the 3 knob holes and the weird rectangle where the pickup selector should be are throwing me off)

O and btw the ibanez radius series has been discontinued. The radius 442r had a more standard style tremolo as opposed to the other locking tremolo radiuss. These guitars arent very common but i dont know how much yours is worth exactly.
TS, the guitar is obviously circa 1969-1975, you could tell by the rectangle where the pickup switch is supposed to be, back then, then they used these switches:

that guitar is possibly a Teisco, a import brand, those guitars are pretty rare and expensive.
Teisco modified the strat shape after fender sued them back then, im sorta sure that thats one of their designs.

the only thing is that those guitars were hand made and no 2 were the same, so it might be hard to find a neck that fits exactly

and to the guy above me, you're waayyyyyy offff
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Last edited by xyz66 at Jan 31, 2009,
OMG I THINK HE DID!

(I have no idea what they are talking about,I'm just as clueless as you.But comonsnse would dictate to ask U.G BEFORE you sanded it down)
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by xyz66
TS, the guitar is obviously circa 1969-1975, you could tell by the rectangle where the pickup switch is supposed to be, back then, then they used these switches:

that guitar is possibly a Teisco, a import brand, those guitars are pretty rare and expensive.
Teisco modified the strat shape after fender sued them back then, im sorta sure that thats one of their designs.

the only thing is that those guitars were hand made and no 2 were the same, so it might be hard to find a neck that fits exactly

and to the guy above me, you're waayyyyyy offff

Dude!

If that's true, I would NOT wanna be TS right now. I'd feel pretty stupid
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Dude!

If that's true, I would NOT wanna be TS right now. I'd feel pretty stupid

lol, you guys are serious about this stuff huh. Well there are way worst things in life then sanding paint off a weird looking guitar. But hey, i guess we have different priorities. Thanks for the info about the neck tho.
Quote by Ian hawkins
OMG I THINK HE DID!

(I have no idea what they are talking about,I'm just as clueless as you.But comonsnse would dictate to ask U.G BEFORE you sanded it down)

sorry boss, i dont care about old stuff as much as some of you guys here. I rather do things my way.
Quote by shane91
lol, you guys are serious about this stuff huh. Well there are way worst things in life then sanding paint off a guitar that would for $500 just the body without any hardware and the origninal finish and as a whole could easily for $2,000+. But hey, i guess we have different priorities. Thanks for the info about the neck tho.

fixed

you pretty much lowered the value by sanding it down, if im correct, it had a vintage white finish? congrats, you defaced a vintage guitar
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Quote by xyz66
fixed

holy **** man, that's a ****load for just a body.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
holy **** man, that's a ****load for just a body.

Well what do you expect, its a vintage import handmade guitar. I've seen some teisco's on ebay sell for $500+ just the body, and whole guitars for over $1,000 easily

its a shame waht he did to it
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Quote by xyz66
Well what do you expect, its a vintage import handmade guitar. I've seen some teisco's on ebay sell for $500+ just the body, and whole guitars for over $1,000 easily

its a shame waht he did to it

well im sorry, but whoever had it before sure did'nt take good care of it. It has major dents in it and the paint was scratchy anyways. it had some cool bannana stickers on the back tho. Alls im saying is guitars and meant to be played not sold online just because its as old as my dad. Anyways thanks for helping me id what it could be.
If it turns out to be what they are saying, then first off, I wouldn't re-paint it.

I would possibly finish it with a clear, or better slightly yellow tinted clear, to make it look older, then flog it on ebay as a rare clear finish body....
Quote by Skeet UK
If it turns out to be what they are saying, then first off, I wouldn't re-paint it.

I would possibly finish it with a clear, or better slightly yellow tinted clear, to make it look older, then flog it on ebay as a rare clear finish body....

Oh yes, lie your ass off on eBay to make a quick buck. Everyone's doing it.
Quote by brcck
Oh yes, lie your ass off on eBay to make a quick buck. Everyone's doing it.

Who said lie?

Would that not be accurate then?

If he repaints it, then the finish won't be vintage and will look like it isn't vintage.
If he does a clear finish, people can see the quality of the wood, so they know it isn't Ply.

Tinted yellow finish, will help give it the aged look, which he doesn't have to say is original.
Quote by Skeet UK
Who said lie?

Would that not be accurate then?

If he repaints it, then the finish won't be vintage and will look like it isn't vintage.
If he does a clear finish, people can see the quality of the wood, so they know it isn't Ply.

Tinted yellow finish, will help give it the aged look, which he doesn't have to say is original.

Ahh, gotcha. I thought you were suggesting he clear it and tote it around saying they didn't clear many of em and it was extra rare. :P

But yea, I don't think he's looking to sell it anyways. Hope he does something nice w/ it.
Page 1 of 2