I'm getting a guitar with a satin finished cedar top. Some people have started to worry me, saying those kinds of tops damage very easy and will scratch and chip off?

I have seen classical guitars made of cedar that seem to be fine without a shinny coat so is this over exaggerating?
Well a satin finished cedar top is going to be more susceptible to scratches, dents, and dings than a gloss finished cedar top or any variation of a spruce top. Cedar is just a softer wood. You will have to be a little more careful, but it's not like you are going to accidentally bump your guitar and it will break in half or anything.

It's nothing to worry about, just make sure you are careful!

What guitar did you get?
Like Jim said. It's not exactly "fragile". It's just a softer wood. My Art & Lutherie has plenty of dings in it. It was my first guitar so I was a bit rough with it(although... even my Martin has a lot of dings in it, LOL). Just be careful not to hit anything.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Like Jim said. It's not exactly "fragile". It's just a softer wood. My Art & Lutherie has plenty of dings in it. It was my first guitar so I was a bit rough with it(although... even my Martin has a lot of dings in it, LOL). Just be careful not to hit anything.

Yessir. Cedar is only a little more susceptible to dings. It's certainly nothing to worry about though.
I had purchased a Seagull Mini Jumbo with a cedar top and satin finish similar to the S6. I cared for that baby like it was made of glass. And in my one moment of doubt when I had left it out, a friend dropped a friggin set of keys on it. I'm lucky it didn't put a hole in it, but I've got a few good dings from it now.
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.