Well, since I seam to have a decent amount of people who check in on my progress/reply to my other questions. I decided to make a new thread so i can keep anyone who cares posted with my current progress, kind of like a progress chart for a teacher lol. so always please feel free to post your input because I look to every bit of advice as a lesson.

so its 4am on Friday morning, and I woke up about 3 hours ago (yeah i know weird sleeping pattern.) So as soon as I decided to play, so I re tuned the acoustic, and did a few warm ups, then worked on the Basic chords A, C, D, E, and G. As of now I'm am actually starting to hit them on the 2nd or 3rd try, sometimes 1st if I'm lucky lol. The chords are starting to come to by memory instead of by me looking at my little black binder that i have all my practices and lessons printed off in lol. so I'm really really getting excited about this, I have so much fun playing and I'm so glad I was talked into keep playing the acoustic instead of waiting for a new guitar. I plan in the next few days when I get really fluid at switching from G chord to C chord to G chord, and also from C Chord, to G chord, C chord, and D chord and back to G again I'm going to take on Kenny Rogers "The Gambler" because one of the lessons " http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200f.htm " recommends that as a good song to practice chords with.

So this is my progress so far. Anyone with other advice on chords please let me know or if you have a good lesson to refer me to post it please (I have looked at this sites lessons and its just so much to take in I might miss a lot.)

Also, since I didn't have the proper chords to hook up my CD player to my amp so I can do play a longs I ended up putting the songs I want onto my external hard drive, then connecting my Xbox 360 to my TV, and then using my TV's audio output jacks and an old VCR chord I connect the TV to the amp. I kind of expected crappy sound quality out of the music coming from the amp because it runs through so much other crap, but it actually sounds just like it does when I listen to it regularly.

Thanks ahead for any advice/tips/referrals and stuff like that.
Okay, So I was reading the tab I want to learn to practice my chord switching on, and they said in one part of the song he is picking the chords and in one part he is strumming the chords... my noob question of the hour is what the heck is the difference? can someone enlighten me on the difference between strumming a chord and picking it? in all of the online lessons i have read they don't tell the difference.

I know I'm a noob!
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
I gues PICKING a chord would be something like this:
EXAMPLE : G MAJOR (i'm going to use this chord, because you're probably familiar with it and it's simple)

e - - - - - - - - - - - 3 - - - - 
B - - - - - - - - - 0 - - - - - - 
G - - - - - - - 0 - - - - - - - - 
D - - - - - 0 - - - - - - - - - - 
A - - - 2 - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - 3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And/or then the other way back down

e - 3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - 0 - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - - - 0 - - - - - - - - - - 
D - - - - - - - 0 - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - 2 - - - - - - 
E - - - - - - - - - - - 3 - - - - 

There are possible combinations of reaching up to the D/G/B string only and some other options aswell. Feel free to discover it by yourself =]

then again STRUMING a chord would be
EXAMPLE: G MAJOR

- v  -  ^  -  v  -  
e - 3 - - 3 - - 3 - - - - - - -
B - 0 - - 0 - - 0 - - - - - - -
G - 0 - - 0 - - 0 - - - - - - -
D - 0 - - 0 - - 0 - - - - - - - 
A - 2 - - 2 - - 2 - - - - - - - 
E - 3 - - 3 - - 3 - - - - - - -  

Dont get confused by the first row. The ^/ v signs are telling you how to strum the strings.
^ - upwards
v - downwards

now i think i've made my point.

picking a chord - playing one note of a chord at the time
struming a chord - playing all notes of a chord at the time

I hope you have found my post helpful.

Best regards, Serjem
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
u guess lol I hope u know because that's what I'm going off of lol but it makes since. also would anyone know where I can find the strumming pattern for Kenney Rodgers: The Gambler

that would help me A LOT, although I did find this

Kenny rogers The gambler D chord Bass note then down up bass note down up
G chord Bass note then down up bass note down up
D chord Bass note then down up bass note down up

although I don't understand it... anyone care to elaborate?

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
side note: I'm trading my xbox 360 and games and junk for a guitar or I'm selling it outright to buy a new guitar. i was offered a Telicaster with some acessories like pedals or whatever for it already but im waiting to get more info from them.... so make offers :P if your interester

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
well xbox is sold and i will have cash in hand monday morning... i plan on going to Guitar Center in Ft. Wayne Indiana this week sometime in order to buy a Ibanez RG120 and a Peyvy Vypyr 15 amp... maybe i can get GC to toss in some freebies since im spending alot of money there lol...

anyone onto my progress.
right now im still praticing chords and trying to switch between them quickly (have yet to suceed) altho i can switch inbeteen G chord and C chord slowly and im starting to speed up.

also im praticing basic scales still only i just downloaded a metronone witch is a program that makes a noise at a specific beat intravle so i can set it up for 40 BPS and i can start from there and work my way up... all i gota do is play a note on each beep.... also something cool is that this program also came with a guitar/bass tuner so i can just play my guitar near my amp and it will give me specifics... i havent tried that yet but its pretty cool i think lol.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Pardon me, but perhaps you should turn this into a blog instead?

Anyway, for learning to switch chords fast I suggest you just learn how to place your fingers quickly, and then switch back and forth between the two chords without strumming. That way you'll have 100 % focus on the fingering.