Hello, I will probably use an EC-1000 (have it, thought about returning it but will keep it I think). For now I'm practicing with myself, and have no real intentions of joining a band or gigging, I just really like playing it for myself and maybe my friends who are into metal. That said, I have an opportunity to get an amp now. I have a really crappy one now which I will not even name. My options are:

RG50TC
Peavy Vypyr 75
Peavy Vypyr 30

And maybe, if I can find one, a used 5150.

So, for practicing, I know that even the 30w peavy will suffice, but I still want some power to crank it up when the mood is right. Those are my options, regardless of price. Do you think I'm way over my head with the tubes? I'm not playing that long, I'll admit, but I want gear that will be with me for a while.

I live in Israel, and am now in Canada, and am bringing it with me. Buying gear in Israel is a huge nono, and I don't know when I'll be back here again. I've yet to listen to the tube amps since I can't find any yet, and I like the Peavys, which means nothing because I've only ever listened to sub par equipment.

Thanks
I you live in a place where buying gear is impossible and you got the chance to buy one practice amp, look at the Line 6 Spyder.
AL
30 watts should be more than enough for you. I prefer tubes and think that they are a good idea for you. I'm not a fan of the Vypyrs but I'm sure some people are.
vypyrs kills the spiders
look into the 5150 or a krank rev jr if you want 20w of tube power.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Adam Loeke
I you live in a place where buying gear is impossible and you got the chance to buy one practice amp, look at the Line 6 Spyder.

Yeah not this. Look at the Krank Rev Jr.

EDIT: Beaten
Quote by Adam Loeke

Please stop trolling.

I have the Vypyr 30, it is great. if you can afford the 75 watt get it.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Yeah not this. Look at the Krank Rev Jr.

EDIT: Beaten

If you look at a Krank Rev Jr., make sure you try one before you buy it. Most people have a love/hate relationship with the amp.
Quote by imicius
If you look at a Krank Rev Jr., make sure you try one before you buy it. Most people have a love/hate relationship with the amp.

QFT.
I made the mistake of buying a Krank without having any experience with it, and just going by what people said about it. I absolutely hate the thing. Whatever the case is, make sure you try out the amp you plan to buy.
If you are into metal, play a MicroCube, Cube 30x or a 60x before you decide. Check out the R-fier model on those. They sound great.

A tube amp over 20w will be over-kill for practice. Even a 20w will seem too loud in most not band situations... and tube amps need to be cranked to get the best distortion tone out of them.
Quote by 667
If you are into metal, play a MicroCube, Cube 30x or a 60x before you decide. Check out the R-fier model on those. They sound great.

A tube amp over 20w will be over-kill for practice. Even a 20w will seem too loud in most not band situations... and tube amps need to be cranked to get the best distortion tone out of them.

That may be true, but their distortion at low volumes is still vastly superior to solid-state. The high volumes really only provide the power tube OD, too much of which will be detrimental to a great modern metal tone, which is why most metal amps have a channel volume AND master, so you can keep the master low, crank the channel volume, and use the gain knob to get most of your distortion.

And I get my 100 watt Randall down to reasonable bedroom volumes and it still sounds great.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
That may be true, but their distortion at low volumes is still vastly superior to solid-state.

That can be argued. It depends on the amp. For my music, at low volumes, I'll take my Cube 30x's distortion over 99% of the unattenuated tube amps out there.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 30, 2009,
Mosho2 Is your plan to take it with you to Israel or to get one shipped straight there? If the latter, look at the Hiwatt range from UK. They are not cheap but the build quality is legendary and their custom Fane speakers are excellent. Getting a good metal sound (whichever) probably will need the use of pedals instead of amp trickery but I always put quality first if I'm spending big money.
If you can't find a place similar to Guitar Center in Canada with a big selection, I recommend finding a used 5150. It's one of the most commonly used metal amps these days.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Thanks guys

I intend to take it with me on the plane... I know it's a risk, and if it's a tube amp I'll try and take out the tubes and take those on board the plane with me. There's a place with some nice selection where I bought my guitar, L.A. music it's called. It has a bigger selection but I've narrowed it down to those.

I can afford anything and I don't limit myself on budget, but like I said, I'm not a kid and I don't want overkill.

Edit:

Oh, and like I said I've been playing for a year and a half (playing seriously though) and have just finished nailing Death Magnetic (huge fun) minus some of the solos.. I've not yet dabbled in any advanced brand of Metal (at least not seriously).

Edit:

I found a used Bugera 6262 for 700 CAD I could get... Though that's a bit over what I was planning to spend....
Last edited by Mosho2 at Jan 30, 2009,
That RG50TC seems like a pretty good option to me. Not too big, but can get nice and loud if you want, and it does metal well.
The RG50TC would be best if you just want to plug and play.

If you don't mind spending some time with the EQ, look into the Krank Rev Jr. Their sweep knobs make them quite difficult to EQ and you need to spend some time with them before you can get a good tone (unless, like me, you get lucky) but they are very rewarding once you do. For 20w, I haven't heard a better metal tone and they clean up surprisingly well too.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The Krank looks interesting but is more expensive than the rest.. It's like 800 bucks new. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that much on an amp...
I'm starting to lean more and more towards it... If I can't get a 6505 or 5150 head for a nice price I'll probably go with that. Isn't the 5150 a bit too old and thus a risky purchase btw?
I have the rev jr and i love it. But i would have to agree with the above posters, if possible try before you buy. I didnt cause nobody around here sells anything that id be interested in so i rolled the dice. Worked for me but YMMV.

And yes that sweep knob takes some getting used to.
Last edited by KrankinV at Jan 31, 2009,
The RG is your best option, except for maybe a B-52 AT (better cleans than the RG).

...you'd better not take the tubes on the plane, they're full of uranium dust.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by huevos at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by Mosho2
Holy crap the 5150 weighs like a 100 pounds haha

I can lift it by myself. The only obstacle is stairs. Other than that, you shouldn't need any help carrying it.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
I can lift it by myself. The only obstacle is stairs. Other than that, you shouldn't need any help carrying it.

There's a weight capacity maximum when boarding the plane unfortunately

Will look into the Blackstar, thanks!!