Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I figure its only a matter of time before my brother takes back his acoustic he lent me, so I need to get my own guitar fast. I plan on selling my Xbox 360 games and all the goods so i can buy a decent starter package.

So far I think I have it narrowed down to some of my favorites i have found.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Product/CompareItems.aspx?prevurl=%2fCategory%2fDefault.aspx%3fc%3d3255%26c%3d3375%26c%3d4216%26urx%3d1

that should take you to the compare page...

I would like to know what you people think of these guitars

I'm already thinking that the Epiphones will not be selected because well I'm just not liking them.

I personally like the Ibanez.

The Yamaha seams like it's a really good guitar and from what I have read in reviews I'm starting to lean towards it more and more.

The Fender I'm just not sure about.
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Guitars are the one thing that I don't order from a catalog. If you do decide to order for price of whatever, you must play one first. Go to a music store and play all of those models that you listed.
AL
i plan on going to the store to try it/ pick it up and all since the store is like 70 miles from here.

im just looking for what you people think of these guitars

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
I can't see the guitars you chose.

And I also suggest trying before buying, or reading a heck of a lot of reviews.

EDIT: You said you were wanting a starter package. DO NOT BUY ONE! They usually suck.

What type of music are you interested in, and what's your budget. That way, we can help you find an alternative.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Last edited by Psalm 150:4 at Jan 30, 2009,
300$ is max I'm willing to spend right now... and that's only if my Xbox 360 sells (posted it on classifieds forums)

I'm into rock/metal... I idolize Metallica, I also like Korn, slipknot, slayer, Mushroomhead, Cradle of filth, Ac/Dc, basically anything along those lines

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Quote by cronarct
300$ is max I'm willing to spend right now... and that's only if my Xbox 360 sells (posted it on classifieds forums)

I'm into rock/metal... I idolize Metallica, I also like Korn, slipknot, slayer, Mushroomhead, Cradle of filth, Ac/Dc, basically anything along those lines

Definately get this for your amp. Great for your price range and music styles. I'd suggest saving up a little more for the guitar and getting an Ibanez RG (low end, no floating bridge)

edit: I've never played it, but it looks like this guitar could get you started link and last you longer than a starter pack would. Some people on here really like squiers, and they'd be great to mod once you get better. But don't get it in a pack, the amp is awful.

Don't forget strap, case, picks,cables, and all the other necessities (probably about $50-$60 in all)

Last edited by Psalm 150:4 at Jan 30, 2009,
ok what amp did u recommend? there isnt a link for an amp. this guitar is nice altho they say the pickups are crappy and it doesnt stay intune well unless u put in a locking nut (whatever that is)

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
that is a nice amp... any more suggestions????

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
well i went on GuitarCenter's site and added everything i would need... totaled up to 360$ witch is more then i was wanting to spend, but from the reviews its a 200$ guitar that feels like an 800 guitar and even better if u make a few upgrades on it. so its a good guitar with room to expand (yes i still plan on trying it out before buying DUH), the amp seams like an amazing amp but for the time being i might just stick with my brothers crappy Ibanez GTA15R amp to save some money until i get a job again

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Low-end Yamaha's are always good value. I've had mine 22 years and it's still physically perfect. Recently I've been very impressed with the Cort range and I'd bet they have something to tempt you, even if they are not the easiest brand to find. What I've seen is quality that belies their price. Look at some reviews.

Oh, and you can;t have that amp 'cos ITS MINE!
Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 30, 2009,
lol i am waiting on the amp anyways... good news is i THINK the xbox 360 is sold so i could possibly goto the guitar shop tomarrow and check things out lol

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
anyone else have info i should know? so far the 360 isnt sold but i did list it on ebay

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
wow i figured i would have had more replies by now... common peeps i need feeback

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Quote by Adam Loeke
Guitars are the one thing that I don't order from a catalog. If you do decide to order for price of whatever, you must play one first. Go to a music store and play all of those models that you listed.

Listen to this advice. Even as a total electric beginner, you will be able to feel and hear whether you like a certain guitar or not. Some just seem to 'fit'.
what you guys think of stratocasters? i got offered one in a trade and I WILL TEST IT BEFORE I TRADE so dont worry... but is it a good guitar? i mean in general

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
but overall what do you think of the stratocaster, i dont have modle and all yet but hopefully i will soon...

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Duh damnit i miss read, its a TELIcaster... so now i need frickin info on that

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
i agree with not going with a starter pack, you can do a lot better if you buy the stuff separately.

for $200 you should be able to pick up a yamaha pacifica 112v- you'll ideally want a bridge humbucker for metal, and the yamaha will provide you with that.

for the amp, roland cube would be my choice, it's around $125 i think? puts you slightly over budget, but unless you really definitely can't stretch the extra $20-$30, then it's worth it if you ask me. you should be able to talk the store into giving you a cheap strap and lead for free (maybe even a couple of other things, like strings and maybe a cheap stand) if you buy both the amp and guitar from them.

the peavey vypyr would be worth a try too, i haven't been able to try it yet, though.

EDIT: your link in the first post didn't work, by the way
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well right now im open for trades or to sell the Xbox 360... because that is the only way i can get a guitar of my own right now... and i need to do it fast before my bro wants his acoustic back. wich kind of sucks because it sounds really really good and makes me feal good when i actually fret a note or chord right when im playing lol

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
so anyone have advice on Telicasters??????? what is the difference between Fender and Squire??? its confuses me

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Ok, thanks lol i was wondering because its just weird... so squire is made in Mexico correct? and regular fenders in America?

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
the person who offered the Telicaster has a post about trading a telicaster from a few days ago and on there he called it a Fender MIM Telicaster... whats that mean? got any details or specs on it or anything?

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Calm down dude.

here

Quote by cronarct
so anyone have advice on Telicasters??????? what is the difference between Fender and Squire??? its confuses me

for the music you want to play, i wouldn't bother with a tele. ideally (and by that, i mean you DO) want a bridge humbucker. the vast majority of teles come with single coils, which are nice for the lighter stuff, but they make achieving a heavier tone more difficult.

Quote by cronarct
the person who offered the Telicaster has a post about trading a telicaster from a few days ago and on there he called it a Fender MIM Telicaster... whats that mean? got any details or specs on it or anything?

if he's telling you right, that's a decent guitar. i think they go for about $400 new in the USA. however, as i said, I don't think it's really aimed at the music you play. you know that twangy electric guitar sound that most country and western songs seem to have? that's the characteristic tone of a telecaster. Don't get me wrong, they can get heavier than that, but they always have a bit of that twang. And as I already said, single coils (generally) aren't ideal for the heavier stuff.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, anyone know anything about a Fender Stratocaster HHS Floyd Rose 60th aniversary?

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
I agree with Dave Mc. Tele's are fine for country.
Being a total anti-Fender guitar man (their amps are okay) I'd say they leave you with a choice of overpriced USA made or very inferior Japanese and Mexican product. When you look at some (but not all) of the Strat-like copies, it is clear that there are better options out there. And why a Strat at all? What was designed as a guitar with 3 single coil pups was NOT designed for the music you want to play. I really hate the 'one size fits all' philosophy that Strat-heads adopt. The fact is that they fit very few in their natural state.
Okay, sorry for the anti-Strat rant but I had a pre-CBS one and it was the biggest heap of junk. Metal wants a thick sound and physical characteristics more akin to something like an SG (with additions) Go for two humbucker pups at least. Flatish fretboard and slim neck will help too. So you think Ibanez and the like.
bove your budget probably?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
well its offered in a trade... right now im not going to be 2 picky as long as i can play it and it is a nice guitar im all for it, it is just a starter guitar so i cant be 2 picky especially since i have no cash to sink into a guitar and wont for a few months ATLEAST (job market SUCKS) so right now im after anything decent that i can get my hands on so i atleast have a guitar.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
do you have a link to that strat?

my main concerns are that i'm not sure how good the floyd trem on it is, and also i'm not sure how wise it is for a beginner to start out with a floyd (though i started out with one, lol).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hard to say... i'm not really familiar with that model. the trem does say "floyd rose" on it, but it could be a floyd rose II (not as good)...

i guess if you can try it to see what it's like. it might be better than anything you can get at your budget, for example...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
2 late lol... i sold the xbox for 500 cash ill have the money in hand monday morning, then im going to the guitar shop and probly getting something within my budjet

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah so i looked at the yamaha pacifica 112j on GC's website and it looks nice and all but i dont know if ill be able to get it in the store.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
they're pretty popular... with any luck, your local store should have some.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2