ive been listening to pandora radio on my SRV station and ive heard some stuff i really like, i dont wanna call it shred blues but its not the typical old black man stuff. its blues guitar to the max but its much faster tempo (a little like steve vai meets SRV)does anyone know any artists who play this or am i being too vague?
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Well not totally sure what you mean but one of the best Blues guitarists who could play fast was Rory Gallagher. Check out some of his stuff, especially live, and se if thats the sort of stuff you mean.

It may not be fast enough though, but still some of the best blues playing around.
Paul Gilbert has one blues jam song that's real real shreddy.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Joe Bonamassa plays Blues and can play pretty fast.

PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG 370 DX
VOX AD 120 VT combo
VOX DA 5
Marshall Bluesbreaker 2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal (modded)
BOSS GE-7 EQ

Q-"Okay, I have a Zakk Wylde micro stack, does anyone
know any good settings for it?"

A-"Off"

XD

Lol (I agree)

sorry I couldn't resist
Oh! and sorry I don't know any like that
Quote by gitchef
Joe Bonamassa plays Blues and can play pretty fast.

+1 to this also.

Although personally his voice grates on me!
Last edited by Mr E at Jan 30, 2009,
+1 on Rory Gallagher, but he ain't blues shred.

if you just mean fast blues then yeah, also give Walter Trout a run for fast blues.

I guess you could class Eric Johnson as Blues/jazz shred.
Blues Rock would qualify Rory Gallagher and Joe Bonamassa too, but Shred Rock; surely a contradiction in terms? There are certainly players who use blues licks with high levels of distortion (Leslie West comes to mind but he's not constantly fast-playing - worth checking out though).

Paul Gilbert seems a good call to me.
Alvin Lee is fast (still) but no shred there. Just quick and accurate.
Gary Moore?

and yeah, bonamassa, Johnson,

Robben Fords bluesy stuff as well,

check out some of Guthrie Govan's youtube stuff, it really sounds like exactly what you want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTi24AxJP_w&feature=channel

i don't know if I'd count Gallagher, but I will recommend him anyways, just because he is amazing

to be completely honest though, many shredders, when playing the blues, just sound
patronizing and wrong

for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEP6H9HMcTU
Eric's solo= sweet, Vai's solo=what?

though the song takes a sudden turn for awesome around the 6 minute mark
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
...yeah cos blues is about playing fast....
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
point taken sir and after a listen to Guthrie Govan I'm abit taken back actually! The guys not your typical shred dude
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
govan can play some sick blues licks when he wants
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

The first thing that came to mind when i thought of FAST blues-rock players, Jeff Beck (goes on some insane licks and has a jazzy side), Janis Joplin/ Big Brother and The Holding Company (psychedelic but the dual guitars could produce fast shred type effect for you), Joe Bonamassa and Hendrix has some pretty fast blues athough you have probably already heard. Anyways, im not quite sure what you mean by shred blues but you should for sure check Jeff Beck he has some sickening chops. Very fast at times. Hope i helped.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
^ nice addition, Beck may not be the fastest out there, but his phrasing makes most shredders look like the annoying kids in music stores
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by ze monsta
Well said.

I thought so
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Dchild042
The first thing that came to mind when i thought of FAST blues-rock players, Jeff Beck (goes on some insane licks and has a jazzy side), Janis Joplin/ Big Brother and The Holding Company (psychedelic but the dual guitars could produce fast shred type effect for you), Joe Bonamassa and Hendrix has some pretty fast blues athough you have probably already heard. Anyways, im not quite sure what you mean by shred blues but you should for sure check Jeff Beck he has some sickening chops. Very fast at times. Hope i helped.

yeah i agree

But then, just about every blues musician can play fast, they just choose not to. Clapton for example, not overly quick but during songs like Have you Heard, Steppin Out and Crossroads he is.

Same with Albert King, slow, technical bluesman most of the time, but in sections of "Personal Manager" the solo is very quick.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Yes i know they can play as fast. But take the pick out of their hands and force them to do voume swells, play slide guitar and whammy notes at Beck's pace.

Quote by Carswell98
^ nice addition, Beck may not be the fastest out there, but his phrasing makes most shredders look like the annoying kids in music stores

"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Would Classic Rock guitarists fit in this category? Most of that stuff is just sped-up blues, anyway. Try some Michael Schenker, Iron Maiden, Cream, stuff like that, I guess.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Dchild042
Yes i know they can play as fast. But take the pick out of their hands and force them to do voume swells, play slide guitar and whammy notes at Beck's pace.

tis true
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
You should try Gary Moore. While being classical blues, he can shred like a bastard.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Well slash.... well at least some of his solo guitar solos (if u see wot i mean) at guns concerts.

uve also got slash's snakepit
rory gallagher
srv
gary moore
lynyrd skynryd
if you wanna shred the blues, go for it, i cant stop you nor want to

but the thing i dont like about alot of shredders is the amount of overdrive and distortion they force into their amp...takes away the quality in my eyes. McLaughlin on the other hand plays quick and doesnt overdrive the hell outta his guitar...there's countless others who dont use serious distortion and play fast.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Last edited by Gris-Gris-Man at Feb 3, 2009,
okay.. check out Jeremy Barnes.. intense..
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
check out philip sayce. he doesnt play much straight blues, but his soloing style is very blues based. he's also a big fan of SRV and he plays some licks that shows that fo sure. he can play pretty quick and its all basically amped up blues licks.

oh yeah

Phil plays an epic solo on Jeff Healey's While My Guitar Gently Weeps live at montreux, I'd highly recommend that

and while I'm there, Jeff himself plays some pretty intense solos as well

EDIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCCI4m8prE
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 4, 2009,