I am redoing my old Kramer. I've been playing guitar for 20 years now. Not alot the last 5 years and am getting back into it. I bought this from someone in the late 80's. It was a white with black starburst like stripes changing to every color of the rainbow. The paint was in bad shape when I got and being a teenager I made it worse. I then painted it black and that held up well for a few years. Right after I painted it though, I took it to get it adjusted and strobed and the guy broke the original non fine tuning Floyd Rose tremolo. So he replaced it with a Floyd Rose 2 off of a Jackson.

About 5 years ago I decided to completely redo it. I got a new EMG 85, tuners, knobs and a crappy rushed through paint job I put on it. I know what I did wrong with the paint and am going to fix it. I never got around to getting another pick up as I was trying to finnish up college and starting my new business. So now here I am going to finnish it up and get a professional looking paint job on it myself.

I will put another EMG on it. (81, 81TW, 60A) Havent decided. A white pearl paint job, Probly new knobs and pickup trim rings. I dont know if I will this time but for sure very soon I will get an original Floyd Rose with fine tuners on it. Oh and I need new back plates for it. Anyone know where to get those or will I have to have them custom made?

I thought I would post the project as I go to help others and to get some good expert advice as well!!!
Last edited by cavtrooper at Jan 30, 2009,
I put in 5 springs to make the tremolo ineffective as it just kept coming out of tune. I thought I would do this till I got an original Floyd in there and adjusted right because those never get out of tune!

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing your progress. I've been fiddling around with the idea of customizing a Randy Rhoads styled guitar so I'll be interested to see what you do with this.
Quote by Shabadoo
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing your progress. I've been fiddling around with the idea of customizing a Randy Rhoads styled guitar so I'll be interested to see what you do with this.

Thank you! I love this guitar. I got over 15 years ago because Randy was my hero. (Still is and now I can play all his solos ) This guitar has better action than most guitars that are over $1000. It amazes everyone that plays it!
I went to every freaking store in town looking for a pearl spray paint of any kind. I couldnt even find the Krylon one that they have. So Monday I will hit the specialty paint and auto body shops!
Isn't the tremolo already a OFR? I got a Focus 3000 and mine has an OFR.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
What color are you planning on painting it? If it is an opaque color, such as white, it will be a three stage process. A base coat, a pearl coat, and then a clear coat. I don't like spray cans at all. But I am biased. I work at a paint store.
BTW. Nice guitar!
Just as you, I have recently gotten back into playing myself. I still suck though!
Quote by LP Addict
thats not an ofr. it doesnt have string locks.

Actually It can be an OFR. The very first OFR had no fine tuner.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Isn't the tremolo already a OFR? I got a Focus 3000 and mine has an OFR.

It is a Floyd 2 off of a Jackson. It even says Jackson licensed under Floyd Rose Patents, on the Tremolo.
Last edited by cavtrooper at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by RLucas
What color are you planning on painting it? If it is an opaque color, such as white, it will be a three stage process. A base coat, a pearl coat, and then a clear coat. I don't like spray cans at all. But I am biased. I work at a paint store.
BTW. Nice guitar!
Just as you, I have recently gotten back into playing myself. I still suck though!

I dont like spray cans either but not having a compressor and being dead set on painting it all by myself that is really my only option. I am looking for a white or just off white or maybe an ivory color with a pearl. How many pearl coats do you suggest? I plan on about 2-3 primer, 5 base, and Ive been told 20 clear coats to get the glossy look.
I went to a specialty auto paint store and they have several different varieties of pearl I can choose from. They also have an aerosol sprayer to put the mix in. The tri-coat process will run me about $40 because the clear coat is $17 but the rest is cheaper than I expected!
Quote by cavtrooper
I went to a specialty auto paint store and they have several different varieties of pearl I can choose from. They also have an aerosol sprayer to put the mix in. The tri-coat process will run me about $40 because the clear coat is $17 but the rest is cheaper than I expected!

Sorry so long for the reply. 2 to 3 coats of pearl should be enough. The more you put on, the darker it gets. I recommend testing it on a scrap of some sort, so you will know how musch to use.
What happened to the headstock? Kramer never had a headstock like that, did you reshape it?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst