I've been playing bass for 6 or 7 years now and guitar for 5ish. I used to enjoy playing them, just because it was fun but since i've been doing music in school it's put me right off playing. I don't even want to play anymore, has anyone else gone through this?
ye... but stick at it... now i wanna play more than ever
dont let the talent go to waste!
Well, my uncle stop playing guitar because his wife didn't like it (he was playing guitar instead of being with her).
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Maybe you play only boring exercises? Just play the song you like and maybe try to compose new songs and join a band.
It happens to most of us I think. I go through periods where the only time i'll touch a bass is at practice. I get in big time ruts, and the only way for me to get out of them is to put it down for awhile. But it always comes back, I think jamming with people is the best remedy. Good luck.
to me it sounds like school had some thing to do with it ,you did not give your self room to take a breath ,you play at home then goto school and its in your face there all day yup it sounds like a very bad case of burn out to me. i think you need to kill the school part and go back to just playing at home ,you are trying to take to much in ,you need playing time and you need thinking time and give your self time to take a breath .i went threw the same thing i was playing some times 12 to 16 hours a day but i had to lern to take a time out when i did my playing started to get better.you have come to far to stop now just work out a plan is all you need and dont try to over kill your self .
Write down cool sounding riffs that you come up with and play them to friends and family or play with other musicians that's how I got over my boredom.
Gear: ltd EC-1000
Marshall MG 50DFX
ZOOM effect pedal
i wouldnt kill the school part id maybe play in ur spare time when necessary when my band was prepping for a battle of the bands we practiced 6-7 hours a day (longer on weekends) for 2 weeks i didnt touch any instrument for like 2 weeks after. It was just to much to take at one time but we got runner up so i mean it wasn't all in vain at least lol
Keep On Keepen' On
Most likely your just seeing bass as work now instead of fun, you should join a band or start something to get more intrest
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Just stop playing for a bit, It's what I do when I don't feel motivated to play, after a couple of days I'm up at quarter to twelve playing Cream
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Poglia
Maybe you play only boring exercises? Just play the song you like and maybe try to compose new songs and join a band.

+1
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by ScottB.
Just stop playing for a bit, It's what I do when I don't feel motivated to play, after a couple of days I'm up at quarter to twelve playing Cream

so true.

I go on short camping trips, I come back and I'm in my bedroom, striking out Politician.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
so true.

I go on short camping trips, I come back and I'm in my bedroom, striking out Politician.

Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I often get bored after playing too much in a short period of time. Try to avoid it as much as possible and then in 2-3 weeks search for someone new to jam with. Their new style should inspire you. It works for me.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I was sliding into one of those times where i have instrument blues, but then i was surfing Youtube and came across a video of Pearl Jam at the VH1 Rock Honors for the Who. No, there was no Wooten-ish wankery going on, but i have to admit, Jeff Ament looked pretty badass playing the lead bass lines in "The Real Me". And besides that, if watching Pearl Jam play "Love Reign o'er Me" doesnt make you want to be a musician, your broken.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
stop going to school bands, make your own band, write some songs and rock out. Honestly, there is no better advice I can give.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Don't want to play? Then don't. Take a break. If guitars have been a part of your life that long, you don't need to worry. You'll get back to playing when you feel like it. Although it might take a couple of live shows though. :P
Great use of first post!
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
That can happen. I've experienced it a few times, and the thing that cuts me up most, is that I can't be arsed with something which is so important to me. I usually put it down to artistic temperament, because I usually have a bit of a strop at the time and think about selling all my gear!
It can be because of many reasons, one of the most important is maybe that you're feeling a bit down generally.
But I'll agree that the best thing to do is ignore it for a few days, and do something physical. Get out on a good walk, bike ride or something else that causes your brain to release some endorphins (sex, or a good old drunken scrap will also do the trick), then go back to basics. Play through the first album you got right; don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect - just enjoy the moment.
Understand it better, and the next time it happens, you'll be better able to cope.
learn drums or a wind instrument! i play drums guitar and piano .. i m currently learning my self bass .. if i get bored with guitar i ll just sit on piano .. piano is such a soft instrument so it get boring easily so whats next ...DRUMS and make some noise .. this how i never get bored with music!!! oh and the most important .. learn how to use a sequencer and get into music production .. you will never get bored with that .. !!!
Thank you for all your messages, i didn't go out this weekend and played guitar for the whole two days, since then i'm back to playing my usual 3-5 hours a day , the best thing was that feeling of wanting to learn something new after you've just learned something.