So my mom is going to USA for vacations and she asked if I would like something cheap (she doesn't have too much money) for her to bring me, I saw the Digitech Bad Monkey and noticed some good reviews from it I also noticed it's only 50$, so, should I get it?

I play mostly Thrash, Metalcore and Punk, I'm sure I won't get a perfect Metalcore sound from it or a perfect Thrashy tone, but I'm buying it as a boost for my amp's **** distortion/sound (I have a Laney LX20) I'm also getting a Peavey Vypyr 30w soon.

Thanks in advance

No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

It will sound very nice with a good valve amp. It's a decent pedal for the price, so try one out and see what you think if you can
It is a very nice OD pedal for the money. It is much better then low end boss ones for aorund the same price.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I have one and love it, although I think it's a bit too noisy. It is definitely worth the investment if you have a tube amp. However, I notice you don't.

The Vypyr is a modeling amp and honestly, probably won't need the pedal. As for what you have now, I don't imagine it would help a whole lot. Maybe hold off until you get the Vypyr then see if you're happy with that.
Is the LX20 a SS or tube amp? Because if its a solid state using a OD pedal wont get great results tbh.
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Is the LX20 a SS or tube amp? Because if its a solid state using a OD pedal wont get great results tbh.

Sadly it's a SS, but I'll get a Vypyr soon (I know the Vypyr isn't tube, but it's far better than my amp)

Also, I could allways sell the BM if I get the Vypyr.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

If you're not using a tube amp, I wouldn't recommend it for the sound you're after. OD works best as a boost with tube amps, and by itself, it's more of a creamy, smooth blues/classic rock kind of sound.

If you can't wait until you get a Vyper, I'd recommend a good distortion pedal and using that on your clean channel for a metal sound, but a good one is gonna be a bit more than $50.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Dudes, it's a great pedal even for SS amps. BUT, it's not a great pedal for HIM. He plays trash, and that is a OD-pedal - the pedal is not high gain enough.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by FlightofIcarus
If you're not using a tube amp, I wouldn't recommend it for the sound you're after. OD works best as a boost with tube amps, and by itself, it's more of a creamy, smooth blues/classic rock kind of sound.

If you can't wait until you get a Vyper, I'd recommend a good distortion pedal and using that on your clean channel for a metal sound, but a good one is gonna be a bit more than $50.

Then I think I might buy the EHX Metal Muff with my money.

I think this is the only chance I have in a lot of time, I won't be going to USA in at least 1 year. I could buy it here but it may cost twice as in Musicians Friend or Guitar Center.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Well, I own it myself, and I use it with high end stuffs. And I think it's good enough to be used by professionals. But once again, it's not a high gain pedal. Often, a choice of gear is more a question of style more than quality. Everything works (look at Kurt Cobain and John Frusciante who uses Boss DS-1/2, for example).
Just find whatever works for you.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I use my OD to boost my SS amp and it works just as well as when Ive used it to boost my valve amp. Ive owned a BM and they are great pedals.
So what should I buy then the EHX Metal Muff or the Bad Monkey

I'm definitely buying the Vypyr in the next 6 months.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Probably the Metal Muff.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Probably the Metal Muff.

Have you used one?

Did you liked it?
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Hultan
Well, I own it myself, and I use it with high end stuffs. And I think it's good enough to be used by professionals. But once again, it's not a high gain pedal. Often, a choice of gear is more a question of style more than quality. Everything works (look at Kurt Cobain and John Frusciante who uses Boss DS-1/2, for example).
Just find whatever works for you.

<-to the quoted post and yours above it. He's going to be using it as a SUPPLEMENT to boost his current amp's tone. Just like 9 OUT OF 10 metal guitarists do with their ODs. It's to tighten and boost the sound and give it a bit more grind.

Also, I'd get something else since you're gonna get the Vypyr anyway.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Metal Muff is a hit and miss situation. It really depends on the amp, it could sound amazing and rectifier like. Or on a bright amp it'll sound like crap.

As for a bad monkey, $50 is almost nothing compared to the great tone you'll get from boosting an amp with that pedal.
Quote by Shinozoku
<-to the quoted post and yours above it. He's going to be using it as a SUPPLEMENT to boost his current amp's tone. Just like 9 OUT OF 10 metal guitarists do with their ODs. It's to tighten and boost the sound and give it a bit more grind.

Also, I'd get something else since you're gonna get the Vypyr anyway.

Like what?

I really need help fast my mom leaving tomorrow, and keep it cheap I don't have a lot of money
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Uhm, I'm not sure really. Maybe a really nice strap or two? A couple of extra cables? One of those choices and a guitar care kit from Dunlop or something? I can't tell you what I would get because it's all too damn expensive XD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
the vypyr has more than enough gain for metal genres on tap. the bad monkey would only be useful in your situation if you had a tube amp and needed more gain from it. go for a wah pedal or maybe a looper if you want to mess around since these won't be on your amp (wait, does the vypyr have a looper? maybe..) or get an EQ pedal to improve your tone.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Haha, 60$ is my limit, but it could get to 80$ if I throw my monwy in.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

You can afford a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ with that.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
the vypyr has more than enough gain for metal genres on tap. the bad monkey would only be useful in your situation if you had a tube amp and needed more gain from it. go for a wah pedal or maybe a looper if you want to mess around since these won't be on your amp (wait, does the vypyr have a looper? maybe..) or get an EQ pedal to improve your tone.

I'll be using the Bad Monkey untill I get the Vypyr (6 months or so) Then I might sell it and buy an EHX Metal Muff, an EQ would be nice, I'll think about it, but I'm looking to improve my current amp distortion, wich isn't very good.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

i would just stick with the eq or possibly a standalone distortion pedal (though the vypyr has enough distortion options already)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Why would you get an OD pedal when your getting a Vypyr? Either adjust the gain on clean settings or use an OD setting, There is also the Tubescream stompbox.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Horlicks
You better have tried the Vypyr first...

I will, my local store gets them in a month, but I need to save the money first, wich will take at least 5 or 6 months.

Quote by random_B-RAD
Why would you get an OD pedal when your getting a Vypyr? Either adjust the gain on clean settings or use an OD setting, There is also the Tubescream stompbox.

I'll be using the OD with my Laney LX20 (SS) untill I can get the Vypyr.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

i suggest a big muff or a metal muff for your purposes.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I'd just save your money if you don't currently have the coin for a vypyr.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
So, guys my mom already left to the airport, I can send her an e-mail saying to buy the Metal Muff, and I'll pay her half of it (half the money I got right now) should I do it?
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

No, I'd just save for a better amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
So, guys my mom already left to the airport, I can send her an e-mail saying to buy the Metal Muff, and I'll pay her half of it (half the money I got right now) should I do it?

I say do it, heck.. your only paying half!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Also, the Meatl Muff is 89$ on Musicians Friend and 99$ on Guitar Center, if my mom gives the MF page (printed) tdo you think they'll give her a discount?
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

If youre getting a vypyr then ask for a sanpera 1 footswitch for 80 bucks. Pedals arent good with the modeling amps