I have put up an ad about 2 weeks ago and several people have asked me to join their band yet i still never have gotten a message back from them. Recently a band named Circadian Clock http://www.myspace.com/circadianklock asked me if i was talented and if id be dedicated and stuff. I said yea. I went on their myspace and listened to their recordings and i was amazed by what the have made. Now heres the problem, i play lots of metal and neo classical and i dont really compose any music for the fact i barely know that much theory. I am just wondering what bands out there play like they do i know what style they play in and i can start making my own riffs for it.
Quote by Paranoid777
But u need theory to have lots of good ideas

Theory can help you when you hit a wall. You do not need theory for a great idea. It is easier to work i tout though.
Quote by Rattlehead334
i play lots of metal and neo classical and i dont really compose any music for the fact i barely know that much theory.

here's my issue. you say you don't compose cuz you don't know any theory, but you play lots of metal and neo classical which are both considerably theoretically heavier than your general pop tunes. especially neo classical which is classically based, classical music being basically crafted and created based very heavily on theory.

i suggest learning theory
to whoverer posted above me
tonal theory was crafted on classical music, not the other way around.

to TS
A. learn theory
B. You don't need theory to write riffs. Theory helps you develop what you hear in your head by showing you the conventions of harmoney, melody, rhythm and form. However, you either have ideas or you don't. You can learn to have ideas, but that is less theory and more transcription/practice.
tonal theory was crafted on classical music, not the other way around.

They developed in parallel. Tonal harmony has characteristics that go far beyond "classical composers did it". That said...don't double post.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It's easy.

Grab ur guitar ,and start writing stuff.

This doesn't work?

Listen to ur favourite artists for ideas.

Doesn't work?

Learn music theory.

Can't be bothered?

Go play drums.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
thanks for the suggestions
Grab ur guitar ,and start writing stuff.

This doesn't work?

Listen to ur favourite artists for ideas.

Doesn't work?

Learn music theory.

Can't be bothered?

Go play drums.

made me laugh