Is it D minor you guys? cuz I'm recently writing a song in this scale, and I've played the first solo in fade to black's intro and the last part was like going down on the D minor scale... Just curious and bored you guys...
im pretty sure its B minor, but i never learned it so,
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
starts in B minor and stays there till the very last run which switches to Am
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
starts in B minor and stays there till the very last run which switches to Am

Spot on. Bm all the way through until the very ending scale run, where it switches to Am.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Spot on. Bm all the way through until the very ending scale run, where it switches to Am.

Actually, I've been looking over that song recently, and I think it actually is in E minor. The verse is structured around an Am chord, but if you'll notice, the note F or F# conveniently is not used in the verse, but it IS used in the heavy choruses, as well as the fast bridge riff.

It could just be temporary key changes, but since the verse is not indicative (with the defining note between A and Em, F) not being used, it's at least an interesting thought.

At any rate, the first solo is definitely B minor.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
The ending of the first solo has F naturals in the rhythm and lead, so that part is definitely Am.

Edit - By the way, I don't mean to say this like, "No, you're wrong." You have a pretty interesting idea there, and maybe I overlooked something.

A lot of Metallica songs do switch pretty deftly between Em, Am and Bm, especially the slow songs like Fade to Black and One.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The ending of the first solo has F naturals in the rhythm and lead, so that part is definitely Am.

Edit - By the way, I don't mean to say this like, "No, you're wrong." You have a pretty interesting idea there, and maybe I overlooked something.

A lot of Metallica songs do switch pretty deftly between Em, Am and Bm, especially the slow songs like Fade to Black and One.

I noticed that too, the keys are almost the same (one note difference), but I also noticed that in the lead after the first chorus, the main verse arpeggios are playing, and the lead contains an F#. Interesting... maybe because the two keys are so similar, and the verse chords avoid F natural or F#, it can just be attributed to modulation?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by seranade.singer
its A MIXOLYDIAN then A MINOR then A MIXOLYDIAN again

Lol you bump such an old thread
Necrobump and a completely incorrect answer. That's a double close.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud