I am looking to change out the stock pickups that are in the guitar I just got. They sound terribly muddy. I am looking for a mid 1970s Jimmy Page kind of sound (yes i know I am not going to be able to duplicate it for a variety of reasons, its just an example). I would also like to get pickups that sound good when coil split. I email the guy that runs GFS and he recommended to me Vintage 59s or Classic IIs. Anyone here have any experience with these pickups?
GFS all the way. I hear great things about their pickups, and recently bought some Fat PATs for my build thatll be up here soon. Id go for Vintage 59s.
Do you think the Vintage 59s would sound ok coil split? I was reading up on coil splits and saw that most people recommend slightly overwound pickups so that there isn't as much volume loss.
Oh, forgot to ask. Does the cover on the covered ones negatively impact the sound? I love the way the covered ones look, but I don't want to sacrifice sound for looks.
Quote by strekship
Oh, forgot to ask. Does the cover on the covered ones negatively impact the sound? I love the way the covered ones look, but I don't want to sacrifice sound for looks.

I wouldn't say negatively, but in general, removing the covers can help clear up some mudiness (if the pup has any)
get some irongear pickups there fantastic for the price better than gfs in my opinion
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Rockfield pickups, very good pups, i got the swc's stock in my michael kelly. they make a lot of really good sounding pups, typically around 60 bucks the swv's and the zebras sound good for what youre into.
http://rockfieldpickups.com/
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by steve!
get some irongear pickups there fantastic for the price better than gfs in my opinion

Those sound nice but unless there is a US distributor I don't think they are really an option.

Quote by gnaraaron
Rockfield pickups, very good pups, i got the swc's stock in my michael kelly. they make a lot of really good sounding pups, typically around 60 bucks the swv's and the zebras sound good for what youre into.
http://rockfieldpickups.com/

I will look in to those more. I liked the way the Zebra sounded. If I get one of these I will probably only get the bridge pickup because I wont be able to afford both.