Hey, I'm looking into buying the Ibanez xpt700, but I've been reading that the edge III bridge on it is a piece of ****. Is this true? If so what is wrong with it, I've never played one but I've played a Original Floyd Rose many times. Whats the difference between the Edge III and a FR.
Last edited by onetenpercent at Jan 30, 2009,
It's tuning stability is fine, but it's made of cheap materials, therefore, it leads the bridge to get worn out quickly. The OFR, has better tuning stability, and it won't worn as quick.
Well the differences are that the edge 3 has a lower profile design and the fine tuners are behind the string locks on the bridge.
The edge 3 is made of cheaper, softer metals that wear out faster than the hardened steel that the (good) OFRs are made of. Therefore, it becomes almost impossible to keep in tune once the knife edges wear down because it won't return to the zero-point (or near it, at least). Then, you have to take off the bridge, file the knife edges, and put it back on. If you're lucky it may last 1-2 years with little-no abuse.
OFR is a solid trem which never goes out of tune!
Edge III is a cheaper made trem, now if you don't use the trem, it will stay in tune and will only need retuning every so often.
But if you decide to use the edge III , you will find yourself go out of tune depending how hard you use it, and over the time the parts do degrade as they are made quite cheaply.
Anyway i have a xiphos and it stays in tune ! but then i don't ever touch the trem
I've been curious as to this too, and seeing as though i only play guitar and don't know a lot about the hardware, which EDGE systems are good? Because i'm looking at another Ibanez soon..
Quote by Ikonoklast
I've been curious as to this too, and seeing as though i only play guitar and don't know a lot about the hardware, which EDGE systems are good? Because i'm looking at another Ibanez soon..

Anything except the Edge 2/3 and Lo-TRS/Lo-TRS II (and i hear the ZP-II isn't very good either) are great trems.

I.E. Lo-Pro, original edge, edge pro, and edge zero are great trems
Quote by Pac_man0123
Anything except the Edge 2/3 and Lo-TRS/Lo-TRS II (and i hear the ZP-II isn't very good either) are great trems.

I.E. Lo-Pro, original edge, edge pro, and edge zero are great trems

Cheers dude