i've been thinking about switching out my bridge pickup for something that'll give me a tighter sound as well as make me not have to turn my noise gate up as much. my guitar is an HSS squier strat, which i actually like besides the sound/pickups. i've heard that EMG's tend to make all woods sound kind of the same, which would be good for me since the squier is made of really low quality alder. however, i've also heard that if you go from passive to active in one pickup on your guitar, you need to do so on the other pickups in the guitar too, or else you'll be screwed. is this true?

so, this is just a long term thing i was just wondering, if anybody has other suggestions for pickups that have sound that isnt badly affected by crappy wood, go ahead. im satisfied with my rig, a pod xt going through my computer speaker setup (not bad, going to replace with studio monitors b4 i buy any pickups)

thanks
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I don't think it would be impossible, but it is probably not what you want to do.

Your guitar will sound normal through the two single coils and have a MASSIVE volume increase on the bridge pickup, probably rendering the mid+bridge setting on your pickup selector useless.

Also, you're running through a POD into computer speakers; even if the pickup swap worked how you like it, your speakers will likely simply distort when you use the bridge pickup.

Have you considered buying an amplifier?
Quote by imicius
I don't think it would be impossible, but it is probably not what you want to do.

Your guitar will sound normal through the two single coils and have a MASSIVE volume increase on the bridge pickup, probably rendering the mid+bridge setting on your pickup selector useless.

Also, you're running through a POD into computer speakers; even if the pickup swap worked how you like it, your speakers will likely simply distort when you use the bridge pickup.

Have you considered buying an amplifier?

i've thought about getting a tube power amp + 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet, but that kind of stuff ends up getting pretty pricey, considering what it is. theres also those atomic amplifiers, i think i might invest in one i agree that the pickups might just make the speakers sound crappy, i never really thought about that.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'm pretty sure the wiring becomes a bitch when you try to mix passive and active pickups. And the volume difference between them would be pretty big.
You have to use different pots for the actives and passives. With 3 knobs on a squire you would get 1 volume for actives and 1 for passives and have to decide if you wanted the tone for 1 or the other. Mixing them is possible but may or may not sound very good. The money spent on the active pickup could be better spent in other areas for tone improvement.