Looking for something as an upgrade to my little micro-cube.

Looking for something under $1000 u.s.

I'm into everything rock and metal. From stuff as light as 3 Doors Down, to things like Alter Bridge, Velvet Revolver, classic rock, hair metal and the like... as well as heavy stuff like Killswitch Engage, Five Finger Deathpunch, All That Remains, Lamb of God, Metallica, Pantera... name it.

Guess I'm wondering what exactly is out there, that I should take a look at. I'm looking to use as little excess gear as possible. (Small children at home, don't want cables and 'toys' for them to get into, if you know what I mean.)

So yeah, in summary...

A good rock/hard rock/metal amp.

$1000 u.s. or less.

Minimal Hardware accessory necessity.

I'm using/will be using an assortment of LTD's with passive duncans and active emg's. If that helps.

Thanks!
Maybe a Line6 Flextone, or used Vetta? (I have no much idea how much they go for round there).

If you told us where you live, we could look on Craigslist for used stuff near you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Peavey XXX
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
what are you looking for?

bedroom practice? Are you gigin at all?

are you looking for built in fx? (since your not tryin to have "little toys" around built ins may help)

any preference for tube/ss?
Apologies,

Right now I'm more looking at home practice or "apartment volume" so to speak. I've no real experience with tube amps to be honest. Everyone tells me "tube is where it's at", but as far as I can tell, tube seems to be more for the high volume use? I also apologize for my rookie-ness. Been playing about 2 years, and all I've ever known so far is my 15w micro-cube. The local shop seems to be on some kind of fender fix, and to be honest, I don't dig fender amps much. At least not the one's I've plugged into.

Everything else is about a 45minute drive or more, which isn't a problem. I just want an idea of what to look for if I'm going to plan a day to go shop around.

I find the guys in the stores to be "helpful" only in terms really of them going, "yeah, that amp is great!" so I'll buy it. Trust issues!

Definitely looking for something portable though, a combo. And preferably something that will last me a while, until I'm ready to play with others.

Edit: Yes, on-board effects and such would be a definite plus.
Last edited by jgleason82 at Jan 30, 2009,
If you're looking new, perhaps get a Line 6 Flextone III... they're extremely versatile and will sound good at low volumes, but can get loud when you need them to as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
below $500
YES:
peavey Vypyr 30
Roland cube 30x
Vox VT30
NO
Line 6 Spider III
Raven amps
Marshall MG

Best choices
Line 6 flextone
Line 6 vetta
Line6 spider tube (pretty good)
Peavey vypyr tube

No built in effects
Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Krank rev jr
Peavey XXX
peavey JSX
B-52 at 112 ($350)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 30, 2009,
Used 5150/6505, XXX, JCM 200 DSL, most Kranks (try these before you buy them).

EDIT: I am abit confused. Are you going for a hard/rock metal amp, or a clean/bluesy amp?
Last edited by imicius at Jan 30, 2009,
What major city do you live near? You can get quite a nice used combo in some corners of the world. Not knowing which corner = Not going to be able to rec something decent for you.
Sounds like the Flextone would be perfect for you then. It has a headphone jack, all the on-board effects you could ever want and isn't that heavy so easily portable.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by gregs1020
What major city do you live near? You can get quite a nice used combo in some corners of the world. Not knowing which corner = Not going to be able to rec something decent for you.

I'm in Wisconsin, what is this major city thing you speak of?

I suppose umm... Milwaukee? Green Bay? Madison?
Quote by shadow__666
I looked on eBay for you, these would be even better than a Flextone.

Little bit bigger than I'm looking for. I suppose I should probably narrow it down to a 1x12 combo perhaps? I've never actually carried a 2x12 combo though, if they're not that heavy and seem decently managable... I'd be game, if it would open up some options.
The Vetta isn't too heavy for a 2x12, only 50 pounds. Most tube 1x12s will weigh about that much.

If that is a real problem, though, stick to a new Flextone.

EDIT- Sorry, it's actually 65 pounds. I was thinking of the cabinet.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Jan 30, 2009,
That's really not too shabby, thanks a bunch. Think I'll be looking into both the flextone and the vetta, see how they sound.

Do you by chance know if the Marshall AVT series is still being made? Musician's Friend seems to have them listed as "discontinued".
Here's why.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/1008466125.html Vox AC15, $550 - leaves $450 for effect pedals.
http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/1010025653.html Vox AD60VTX. $400, modeling amp, has effects built in. But may be too much wattage for the average apartment player.

But if you can hold off and search for a used Flextone, Flextone II or III, that would be good too. Those are very good modeling amps (Amps with effects built in). I just came up empty in my search.
a vetta would be pretty sick, but your gonna have to spend quite a bit of time learning how to use all the stuff on it, its not something that would go by as a "simple amp". if you get to understand how to get everything down though, it would be pretty good as an amp for low volumes (not that it cant get loud either). just like they all said, it shouldnt be too heavy, since its just a modeling amp.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The AVTs aren't that good anyway, why would you be looking at them when you can get a lot of other amps in your price range that are much better?

Seriously, one of those Vettas at that price is a steal considering that they're about $1600 new.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by jgleason82
That's really not too shabby, thanks a bunch. Think I'll be looking into both the flextone and the vetta, see how they sound.

Do you by chance know if the Marshall AVT series is still being made? Musician's Friend seems to have them listed as "discontinued".

trust me dude, with 1000 bucks, you could get something SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than a marshall AVT, even though im a bit of a valvestate fan. and yes, they are discontinued, they've been replaced by the MG series (ewww)
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well, If I can save the money, I'd like to. Wouldn't mind used at all, issue though is that I've had some friends get some things over e-bay and it didn't turn out well.
With craigslist you can try before you buy. I am sorry I missed the "metal" part of your post, the vetta or flextone would be a good match for your needs. The AC15 I posted isn't ideal for "metal".
I'd look to get one of these used:

Mesa F-30 Combo
Mesa DC-2 Combo
Mesa 5:25 Express (used)
Orange Tiny Terror combo

Buy on craigslist, try before you buy of course.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Randall RM20 combo, stock with the Plexi module, and then get an Ultra or KH-2 for your other sounds Buy used to get the stuff for less

Unless you need a second channel. Then you could just use the Plexi at low gain with an OD.

Or the aforementioned Mesas or Orange (you'll probably want an EQ pedal to get your heavier metal tones with the Orange from what I've heard). Come to think of it, the Mesas sound like a better deal considering the kiddies. Tone that's at least as good, without as many extra toys.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 30, 2009,
everyone who's recommended the vetta and flextone know what's what. they're both great amps, especially the vetta
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by schecter ftw
Krank Rev Jrs are pretty badass.

+1, get the new pro version, it would be pretty good for what your doing, and it has enough power for small gigs if you ever need.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
OH MY GOD! Buy, buy, buy!

But if you're gonna stick to low volumes you might save some money and get something like this. And trust me, it's good. Also, you're correct in not getting a tube amp. As you said sweet tone=high volume which obviously is a no-no with the baby. So, even if you don't get either of these amps, you should be looking for high-end solid state amps.

Good luck
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Last edited by aradroxar at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by aradroxar
OH MY GOD! Buy, buy, buy!

Yes! This is the kind of thing you should be looking for. The longboard itself is $400 new, and the Vetta is $1700 (of course, most of their products are stupidly overpriced, but the Vetta is still an amazing amp).
Of course, the Flextone is good too (the II more so than the III I've heard), but the Vetta is one of, if not the best digital modeling amp out there.
I've been looking at those. I was going to just bite the bullet and pick up a cube 60 on friday (small, sounds ok, can plug into a cab for later on).. but a friend of mine suggested watching ebay for a marshall JCM and getting an attenuator?(spelling?)

I've also looked at the RG50 (Randall) but reviews seem to point out weak construction. Tube 'would' be nice, for the occasions when I get to bring it somewhere, like a friend's garage or something and crank it up. But to do that, it'd have to be portable as well

Before I actually got off my rear and started playing more.. I really had no clue finding the right tone and equipment (value) would be such a task.