In some thread (fancy amp thread i think) i saw these amps that looked like oranges, only they were red black green and apple. they had had everything written in the same font and stuff like that. are these anyway related to Orange Amps, or are they just cheap ripoffs?
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
They're not Orange amps and not cheap ripoffs, either.

I do believe they're Matamp heads.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
They were probably Matamp heads. The best sludge/stoner metal amp heads out there, no question at all. And they do other stuff quite well too.

EDIT- I think that the original Matamps were based off Oranges and they went from there. Goolz (imgooley) probably knows more on the subject than I do.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
They're not Orange amps and not cheap ripoffs, either.

I do believe they're Matamp heads.

This, probably. Matamp and Orange are related in some way, I just don't remember if Matamp owned Orange or Orange owned Matamp (some one tell me >_>? Anyway, Matamps are all handwired and more expensive than a gold toilet. BUT, that's what makes 'em so great!!! One of the guitarists for the Parlor Mob uses a Green Matamp Combo, it sounds AMAZING!!!

EDIT: I looked it up, and Matamp owned Orange.
l
V Also, be prepared to pay a pretty penny if you actually are thinking about getting one.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Jan 30, 2009,

Green, Black, etc. are custom made Matamps, which is a U.K. based guitar amplifier manufacturer. Before Mat Mathias died, they made many different handwired, high powered amp heads, most notably the GT120, GT2000.

They now have a nice array of various modern amps, a few at much lower outputs than the original Matamps.

There is a U.S. amp maker called Electric Amp Innovations that makes variations of the GT120, with a similar preamp tone stack. They are 100% handwired, use heavy ass iron, and are top build quality, far and above modern Orange amps. They concentrate mostly on high powered all tube heads.

Back in the day, Matamp actually made the first Orange amps, for a music store called Orange. The Oranges of today have little in common sonically with the original OR120s, OR80s, etc, except for maybe the Retro 50 and the OR50.

Sites:

www.matamp.co.uk
www.electricamp.com
www.planetoftheamps.com
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
This, probably. Matamp and Orange are related in some way, I just don't remember if Matamp owned Orange or Orange owned Matamp (some one tell me >_>? Anyway, Matamps are all handwired and more expensive than a gold toilet. BUT, that's what makes 'em so great!!! One of the guitarists for the Parlor Mob uses a Green Matamp Combo, it sounds AMAZING!!!

EDIT: I looked it up, and Matamp owned Orange.
l
V Also, be prepared to pay a pretty penny if you actually are thinking about getting one.

In the U.K., they're a way better value. 1100 pounds for a GTL head

And worth every penny, IMO.
Quote by imgooley
In the U.K., they're a way better value. 1100 pounds for a GTL head

And worth every penny, IMO.

In America, all the heads are over $2200.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
In America, all the heads are over $2200.

Still worth every dime.

BTW, a brand new Electric Non master GT120 is about 2250

On par with Hiwatt heads, IMO.
There's a GTO on special here for $2000AUD. It got a little scratched when they moved it in, but it's still got that low end punch.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by imgooley
Still worth every dime.

BTW, a brand new Electric Non master GT120 is about 2250

On par with Hiwatt heads, IMO.

that doesn't seem all too outrageous for a hand-wired amp that's 100% USA built

btw, the sound clips on their website are pretty good
Last edited by sethp at Jan 30, 2009,