So I'm about to embark on a rather ambitious recording project.

I'm going to single handedly record a jazz "album". Im gonna play all the instruments, and its gonna be mostly standards with a few originals thrown in.

But this got me thinking on where to take this, if infact i like what i've created. I thought that one option would be to fill out with a backing band, and kind of make a band out of that. the problem is finding guys to play with. Or i could just try to sell CD's...

What would you guys do?
i think you are thinking really far ahead of yourself. You may hate what you create and sell your instruments before cutting off your talentless hands?? who knows.

You have to plan for both of these situations.
Last edited by marko'd at Jan 30, 2009,
Ya, i know. It was a slow day at work, and i had some time to think about this. :P

It's likely that im way ahead of myself, but oh well.
I think you could start more solo oriented, but still connecting with jazz you know. You can have like 2 songs - 2 band songs - on the record. The other ones should be playable for you alone. Also, this doesn't mean just acoustic guitar and voice. You can get a drum sequencer, some loop effects stuff, you know, make it interesting.

Then, I believe it'll be easier for you to find some band to play those 2 songs the way they should be played. If you still can't find anyone, you can always remix them live, just use your imagination. And if the music is that good, you won't need a stinking band :P
Well, i started working on my stuff last night, and im really liking it. I started with a cover of I Can't Get Started With You.

I got my chords down, im in the process of writing the bassline, and my trombone is gonna pick up the melody:P

The only thing i hneed to rely on a computer for is the drums, which im just using a drum machine for.

I'm probably gonna have this one recorded and done by early next week, lateer on if i have to work...

I'm gonna set up a music hosting website in a day or two, ill link you guys when its up.
If you like what you do, either find a band to get behind you or do what the hip hop/beat poets around my area do and have evrything that you aren't doing on a laptop. I think that would be cool personally, bringing jazz into the 21st century (i know for a fact that in these parts its widely regarded as old. boring people music).

As for the idea in itself, if you think you can do it, go for it! Its an awesome idea if you can pull it off and i look forward to hearing some of your stuff.

db
I've just listened to your first recording, I think it's brilliant and i really enjoyed your phrasing. However I feel that the drums let the overall tone of the track down because in my opinion the problem with electronic drums is that they don't display convinving articulation. Is there anyway you can get the bare essentials to do a live drum recording?
Guitar: Fender Standard Tele

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I also am not incredibly happy with the drums. They really were missing the articulation that really is a vital feature.

As for recording them...
I'm currently putting all my money towards a trip to europe at the moment. As soon as i get back, im starting my fund for a full set of mics. In the meantime, all ive got is one mic, and whenver i try to record with that i end up with really ****ty results

If youve got any tips on single mic recording as it relates to drums, let me know.

Thanks again for having a listen
As it happens, i'm studying music tech.

Ok, so i'm assuming you have a drum kit available. By the sounds of it you're mainly using a ride and a snare, so if you position an overhead mic in a suitable place (just experiment until you get a sound you like) that should do the job.

Is your mic a condenser mic or a dynamic mic?

I don't think this is a good idea. No one wants to hear someone soloing over a backing track unless they are phenomenal, and even then it will still be rather sterile. Jazz is meant to be played with other people. You can't record the magic of a drummer reacting to what you are doing while soloing over chord changes, or any other members of a jazz group. Without this spontaneous interaction, the magic of jazz and improvisation is lost. You should continue to practice soloing over chord changes but I strongly recommend finding other people to play jazz with, because that's the whole point of the genre basically.
12 fret fury
Quote by PinkFloyd73

If youve got any tips on single mic recording as it relates to drums, let me know.

the best tip for recording with a single mic is this: "don't"

honestly for a demo of a demo of a demo i'd use at LEAST 3. one on the kick and the other 2 hanging over the kit on the left and right hand side.
I agree completley with punk poser, you can't beat the feel of a real band, i do recommend you search far and wide and look really hard to find one.

Good Idea, but there are a few concerns. Jazz is an improvisational genre by nature, and 99% of traditional jazz albums are the band playing live. The players feed off each other in terms of dynamics and harmonic variations. By recording one instrument at a time, your songs will likely sound a bit robotic. I attempted this, check the recording of Four on Six in my profile. Full band recording (well, drums and bass were sequenced on the fly), which I think sounds pretty good, but also pretty robotic and monotone.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Oh, trust me. Im trying as hard as i possibly can to find a band willing to try. And i agree, its all dynamics and such. Im not here saying that this is as good as a band, and i in no way believe such. I just feel that i needed to do some work with both playing and recording techniques, so i thought why not combine them...
Alright, just as long as you're aware of that. When you've recorded everything, I would put a reverb on the master track to make it seem like it's live.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Agreed, jazz is really a live genre.

I can't wait to hear the next song

Hey guys.

Well, i was sick for a few days, so i had a tonne of time to work on new stuff. The next two songs comin up are gonna be fly me to the moon and an original tune of mine.

Ill post here when they are done.