Alright so here's the situation. I have a Marshall Dsl head that i am planning to sell. I liked the tone i got out of it a lot. But what i need is something more versatile and in combo form. From my experience not all heads sound the same in combo form, so it's very important that an amp suggested will have a great sounding combo also.

I play (genres in bold are really important) blues, jazz, classical, hard rock, classic metal, heavy metal, shred, reggae, funk. I'd really like to be able to nail David Gilmour's tone (which i was able to do with my DSL), and my other gear is listed in my sig. I'll have about $800 max to spend on a new amp. I don't mind buying used as long as i dont have to search 24 hours a day to actually find one used.

I've been thinking Bugera 333xl combo, i tried to use it in a guitar store but it was broken . I've also been thinking Peavey JSX obviously but it's hard to find one low enough in price. Thanks for the feedback.
why not a fender twin reverb, theyre really versatile, got a great warm tone, they ake even really **** guitars sound great and if you want to match dave gilmours tone youd manage in with one of the fenders
just wondering, you gig at all/play with band? im suprised that the DSL cant do those genres, its fairly versatile to me. it could be your guitar tbh, have you looked into getting a guitar that has passive pickups for the lighter stuff? just a suggestion. then again, that wont turn your amp into combo form. the bugera should be good, but keep in mind that the british voicing of the marshall is going to be TOTALLY different from the bugera's american voicing. you probably wont be able to get a lot of the sounds you liked from your marshall
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by noddy-whack
why not a fender twin reverb, theyre really versatile, got a great warm tone, they ake even really **** guitars sound great and if you want to match dave gilmours tone youd manage in with one of the fenders

As much as I love the Twin Reverb, versatile isn't the word I'd use to describe it because it's distortion is essentially useless.

Have you considered a Line6 Flextone or Vetta?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
just wondering, you gig at all/play with band? im suprised that the DSL cant do those genres, its fairly versatile to me. it could be your guitar tbh, have you looked into getting a guitar that has passive pickups for the lighter stuff? just a suggestion. then again, that wont turn your amp into combo form. the bugera should be good, but keep in mind that the british voicing of the marshall is going to be TOTALLY different from the bugera's american voicing. you probably wont be able to get a lot of the sounds you liked from your marshall

Meh, I disagree. I think that American amps like my Mesa are much more versatile than Marshalls, which is why I bought my F-30 over a JCM.

Quote by shadow__666
As much as I love the Twin Reverb, versatile isn't the word I'd use to describe it because it's distortion is essentially useless.

its.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Jan 30, 2009,
^Alright, Mr Grammar Nazi.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
well if yu dont like the overdrive you get on a twin reverb use a goos osunding pedal then
I do play with a band and expect to be gigging again soon. My DSL can actually get most of those genres down easily with the eq pedal and OD, it struggles a little bit with jazz and funk tones. But yeah the main thing is having a combo.

I like my guitar very much and don't plan on buying another one any time soon. I thought the 333xl's crunch channel was British voiced as it was modeled after the JCM 800?
No, the 333 was modeled after a Peavey XXX.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
333xl was modeled after the jsx. 333 XL is what i'm speaking off.

333 = XXX
333XL = JSX

im pretty sure theres no such thing as a 333 XL
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.

Aren't those solid state modeling amps? I was under the impression that in most situations (especially when on a budget) that tube saturation will most of the time sound better than transistors and modeling effects. Those amps must have some very high quality modeling effects then.
333 = XXX
333XL = JSX

im pretty sure theres no such thing as a 333 XL

That's what i meant to say, i was just trying to emphasize the XL part because i don't think shadow realized it was there.
The Flextone and Vetta have very good effects. If your idea of modelling amps was formed by Spiders (or even Cubes, Valvetronixes or Vypyrs) forget them; they're almost as good as tube amps and can do anything.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by PiperDawnsGate

Aren't those solid state modeling amps? I was under the impression that in most situations (especially when on a budget) that tube saturation will most of the time sound better than transistors and modeling effects. Those amps must have some very high quality modeling effects then.

well, obviously modeling cant recreate the effect of tube saturation, but if you want lots of versatility, good effects, and the ability to save presets, without spending thousands, modeling is the way to go (GOOD modeling). you could go for a new flextone, or a used vetta, or you could get a pod xt + atomic reactor setup. the atomic reactor is a tube amp that is designed to make multi effects sound more realistic.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
well, obviously modeling cant recreate the effect of tube saturation, but if you want lots of versatility, good effects, and the ability to save presets, without spending thousands, modeling is the way to go (GOOD modeling). you could go for a new flextone, or a used vetta, or you could get a pod xt + atomic reactor setup. the atomic reactor is a tube amp that is designed to make multi effects sound more realistic.

Okay, that's a pretty good idea actually. Would those be a step up from my current set up though? Also, out of those three suggestions, (vetta, flextone, xt+ atomic reactor) how would you order it from best to worse? And why do they call it the atomic reactor set up (lol?) and what tube amps would you suggest for that setup. Thanks for everything so far.
You should be able to find a used Peavey JSX combo for 900 bucks. Easy.

And as far as those line 6 options go....

Flextone III's are a great bang for your buck. Very versatile amp.
Vetta's are even better, but much more expensive.
A POD XT + Atomic Amp would be like a Flextone with a tube power amp section.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 31, 2009,
Since you're looking at the JSX, maybe consider the Carvin Vai Legacy as well? I see them for 800ish from time to time.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
You mentioned Gilmour. No contest then. Hiwatt. And make sure you either use a Hiwatt cab or throw Crescendos in something else.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should be able to find a used Peavey JSX combo for 900 bucks. Easy.

And as far as those line 6 options go....

Flextone III's are a great bang for your buck. Very versatile amp.
Vetta's are even better, but much more expensive.
A POD XT + Atomic Amp would be like a Flextone with a tube power amp section.

+1
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
it seems like you like the JSX

you can look for a used one on ebay or get a peavey ultra or XXX. all three are the same amps pretty much, just different names. i have an ultra and with my OD9 i can do anything. the cleans are amazing and the distortion channels are very clear (sometimes a little too clear)
Quote by ironman1478
it seems like you like the JSX

you can look for a used one on ebay or get a peavey ultra or XXX. all three are the same amps pretty much, just different names. i have an ultra and with my OD9 i can do anything. the cleans are amazing and the distortion channels are very clear (sometimes a little too clear)

the JSX has a lot more clarity and versatility than the XXX, but i pretty much agree with you
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I have a flextone, the one with two speakers and 150 watts, and its a nice amp, especially for the price, you can get virtually any tone with it, IF and only IF you are willing to spend a lot of time reading the manual and messing with all the knobs and stuff, it took me like a month to get some good tone with it, but now that I know how it works I dont need that much time getting a good tone.
Haven't tried a vetta yet, but I guess they are killer, always try before buying man
Quote by tona_107
Meh, I disagree. I think that American amps like my Mesa are much more versatile than Marshalls, which is why I bought my F-30 over a JCM.

I agree 100%. I've used my DC-5 for everything from my favoured hard rock/blues with my current band, to funk, jazz, heavy metal. With a delay pedal I can get a smooth Bonamassa-esque lead tone, and with no more than two pedal presses I can go from that to spiky James Brown funk.
Sorry fanboys, but Mesas are not the best sounding amps available by a long way...but the key selling point for me is the way they can produce an extremely respectable, if not exactly world-beating, tone for almost any playing style/genre.

The alternative is to find a stripped-down simple amp with a basic tone you really like, and then build up the different layers of your sound with effects pedals.
A nice, clean, minimal amp is ideal (eg Bluesbreaker combo, Fender Blues Junior with a speaker swap etc).
For me this is the key to great tone, though the venues I play, and the fact I host weekly jam nights where almost every guitarist will be using my amp, means my Mesa is a compromise between versatility and tone.

I don't know how exactly the TS intends to use his amp for 'classical' though - there's versatile and then there's just plain silly Electric violin or something?
*deploys flame shield*
you know, after some time working with a line 6 spider 3, its pretty freakin' versatile
i can go from Buckethead's Soothsayer clean to SRV to Yngwei/Stump to death metal and a whole bunch of places in between, however; it DOES TAKE A LOT OF TIME MESSING AROUND WITH THE SETTINGS TO GET IT TO SOUND GOOD
Quote by linnux
*deploys flame shield*
you know, after some time working with a line 6 spider 3, its pretty freakin' versatile
i can go from Buckethead's Soothsayer clean to SRV to Yngwei/Stump to death metal and a whole bunch of places in between, however; it DOES TAKE A LOT OF TIME MESSING AROUND WITH THE SETTINGS TO GET IT TO SOUND GOOD

why the hell would he get a spider when he can get a flextone, which is clearly a step up from the spider in terms of features, sound, and quality
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Have you thought of buying another combo to A/B or A/B/Y with for gigging? That would be my suggestion.
I would keep the DSL, as it should be able to nail all the tones you have in bold, and with a good OD pedal or maybe an EQ, be able to nail the more modern metal tones as well.
Maybe look into a Fender for the the jazz, reggae, and funk stuff. Not too much more gear to carry around, just another combo amp and an A/B (/Y?) switch. That would be my suggestion. A nice Fender Hot Rod is in your price range, and should nail those tones.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I don't know how exactly the TS intends to use his amp for 'classical' though - there's versatile and then there's just plain silly Electric violin or something?

haha sorry about that, i meant to say neo-classical, which i guess is basically shred.

Some of you guys have mentioned the jsx, which i do in fact like a lot, but how do you guys feel about the bugera 333xl in comparison.

Have you thought of buying another combo to A/B or A/B/Y with for gigging? That would be my suggestion.

The reason i want to replace my head with a combo is to lighten the load while still having the option of connecting my 4x12 cab. That's the top priority right now, and getting a more versatile amp is secondary.

Thanks for the suggestion so far guys.