Page 1 of 2
I just got back from a gig at my local venue. This venue (The Queens Hall in Nuneaton) usually puts on local rock, metal and punk bands on friday nights, as well as up and coming acts from surrounding areas. Tonight I went along, as I'd been told the organiser had booked a rapper and a human beatbox/one man band.

Great I though, some diversity!

As the gig went on and the last act (human beatbox/one man band) got on stage, it was all going well for the first couple of songs, and I was really getting into it. As the set went on however, the crowd's chatter became louder and louder until at the end it was almost impossible to hear the musician over them. To top it all off, some random girl came through the door during the second to last song and started shouting abuse.

I honestley felt like getting on stage and having a rant at the crowd for being so ignorant, and I've actually just sent a message to the guy apologising for the crowd he got.

Any ideas what I should do if this happens again? (and knowing the type of crowd that usually turns up at the venue, it will)

TL;DR - I was at a gig earlier, and the crowd were being really ignorant and talking over an act I was really enjoying, any ideas what I could do if it happens again (and it probably will)
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Your usage of the word ignorant is rather... ironic.

Oh well, get used to it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
mfka terry tate their asses
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
ha, sounds like one of my gigs lol
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
so an act was booked for a night that usually caters to a certain audience. This act was not of the musical genre that the audience were expecting or usually like. and you're getting pissed because they didn't like it?

I'd be more pissed at the organisers rather than the audience.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
OK to set things straight, I'm not saying they should enjoy the music, just that they should have some respect and let the people who are enjoying it do so.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
when people do that at my gigs I have the sound guy turn up to volume until it completely drowns out the crowd.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Sonny_sam
OK to set things straight, I'm not saying they should enjoy the music, just that they should have some respect and let the people who are enjoying it do so.

The world is full of assholes. You can't let it bother you.
Quote by irishstang_87
Americans. And I'm American. But Americans in general piss me off.

Quote by MightyAl
But they all fall under the catagory i like to call sh!tcore.

Quote by Union Jake
Oh and BTW i didn't start it, i was like WTF at first but then everyone else did it, and i didn't wanna be left out,
Quote by monotony777
The world is full of assholes. You can't let it bother you.

Yeah, I guess so.

I think I'm just too good natured and I try to judge people by my standards, even though some people are just dicks. Alcohol is a major factor also, I've had none, most people in the venue had consumed a lot by the time the last act started.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam

That's not how it works. It's a performer's job to engage the audience. If the audience loses interest, it is because the performer failed to do his job. Sure, some people may have been enjoying it, but you can't expect a roomful of people to sit there and be bored just for you.

TBH, if the musician is overpowered just by idle chatter... They're playing too damn quiet.
Last edited by Vermintide at Jan 30, 2009,
Would you be happier if they babbled through your set too? Lol if some guy got on stage and beatboxed I'd get bored too.
Quote by Vermintide

TBH, if the musician is overpowered just by idle chatter... They're playing too damn quiet.

exactly.

Quote by MOFAUX
Would you be happier if they babbled through your set too?

People who babble through my sets usually leave with permanent hearing damage.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 30, 2009,
the most ignorant people at shows are the scene fags who do that kung fu dance sh*t
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Quote by MOFAUX
Would you be happier if they babbled through your set too? Lol if some guy got on stage and beatboxed I'd get bored too.

It's not quite beatboxing, it's sort of hard to explain.

www.myspace.com/smileymic

listen to the track "Promises"

(for sake of not getting banned, this is not intended as advertising, I am in no way affiliated to the owner of this myspace, I have nothing to gain from sharing this link)
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
People keep writing threads relevant to my blogs dammit!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/RevaM1ssP1ss/blog/56329/

Well at least I know i'm not the only person who at times dispises the human race (as hypocritical as that sounds)
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Well at least I know i'm not the only person who at times dispises the human race (as hypocritical as that sounds)

I wouldn't even say I do hate everyone, but a general majority of the people I have met or encountered have turned out to be horrible.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I wouldn't even say I do hate everyone, but a general majority of the people I have met or encountered have turned out to be horrible.

Maybe your standards are too high, then?

As soon as I embraced being a callous, uncaring dickhead, people suddenly seemed much nicer.
Quote by Vermintide
Maybe your standards are too high, then?

As soon as I embraced being a callous, uncaring dickhead, people suddenly seemed much nicer.

Pshhh I'm too cool to be a dickhead.... oh wait, that shizzle usually goes the other way round doesn't it?

I'm not saying I'm never horrible. I am terrible sometimes. But the majority of time I'm not.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I have completely stopped going to shows for these reasons and beyond. I just can't enjoy them, mainly because I feel like I'm paying for a night of being elbowed by crusty little fanboys with horrid body odor who are trying to get to the front, people pushing past me and obstructing my view so they can buy more watered down 10 dollar beers, morons shouting abusive things at opening acts and sometimes even the headliners, hillbillies that can't handle their drink starting fights all around me, random poo smell and of course, piss poor sound. I love music, but shows just lost their appeal.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
The music is really good

As far as I'm concerned, if you're at a gig, either listen, or get out and go to another pub/place
Same with lectures, a somewhat different topic, but people talk constantly through my lectures and it drives me mad, it makes it impossible to take proper notes, they're paying money to waste my money and advance their pitiful social lives.

With gigs I feel it's similar, I'm normally paying money to be there, and they're wasting both their money and MY money by being so rude.

And to those who said 'turn it up'
That doesn't work with all music, sometimes it makes the music unbearable, not true for metal, but for this sort of stuff I can imagine higher volumes being nothing but painful and irritating, it's more open-mic folk club night sort of music, perhaps the guy just wasn't suited for the venue, but from what I'm hearing right now, this guy could easily hold an audiences attention.
just ignore them dude, they are everywhere.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
I don't see how talking during a band's set makes a group of people "ignorant.."
I ****ing hated when people did the same thing at a Blood Brothers concert. They were opening for Mastodon, Stone Sour, Satriani and Metallica, but shiz. People suck really hard sometimes.
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
Quote by tushmeister
The music is really good

As far as I'm concerned, if you're at a gig, either listen, or get out and go to another pub/place
Same with lectures, a somewhat different topic, but people talk constantly through my lectures and it drives me mad, it makes it impossible to take proper notes, they're paying money to waste my money and advance their pitiful social lives.

With gigs I feel it's similar, I'm normally paying money to be there, and they're wasting both their money and MY money by being so rude.

And to those who said 'turn it up'
That doesn't work with all music, sometimes it makes the music unbearable, not true for metal, but for this sort of stuff I can imagine higher volumes being nothing but painful and irritating, it's more open-mic folk club night sort of music, perhaps the guy just wasn't suited for the venue, but from what I'm hearing right now, this guy could easily hold an audiences attention.

Yeah, I don't think the volume was the problem, it was loud enough to hear clearly if 80% of the people in the room weren't shouting over each other to be heard.

I think that one of the main problems is that the venue is one of the few places in my town that will serve absolutely anyone. This means that people pay £3 to get in even if they don't like the music, just because they want to get pissed.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
most of you guys are douchebags. TS is stating how people need to respect other people even if their musical talent is different or diverse. Seriously, next time go up on stage and rant. **** them. And the ignorance is being implied through the reasoning that people can't just chill out for 30 minutes and listen.
Last edited by peaceonearth52 at Jan 30, 2009,
My mom went to the police concert with elvis costello opening up for them this past year. She only went cause of elvis, she hates the police. Anyway, there were these guys behind her before the show started, and they were like

"I havent heard from elvis in a long time"

"Yeah I dont think he has done anything since Alison!"

My Mom-*Facepalm*
that's what happens when you try to get metalheads/rockers to listen to something other than metal/rock. most of them are morons; if it's not br007l3, then it's no good. if there's no five minute-long-wailing-geetar-solos, then it sucks. because rap is just a black guy shouting into a microphone, but rock sure isnt a white guy screaming into a microphone; it takes mad skeelzz.
Quote by mr.happyman
that's what happens when you try to get metalheads/rockers to listen to something other than metal/rock. most of them are morons; if it's not br007l3, then it's no good. if there's no five minute-long-wailing-geetar-solos, then it sucks. because rap is just a black guy shouting into a microphone, but rock sure isnt a white guy screaming into a microphone; it takes mad skeelzz.

you act like it's restricted to rock fans. most people won't enjoy artists from other genres.

the fact that the chatter became louder and louder indicates that people were indeed giving it a go and eventually came to the conclusion that they didn't like it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by mr.happyman

Your asking for trouble saying that around here.
Quote by irishstang_87
Americans. And I'm American. But Americans in general piss me off.

Quote by MightyAl
But they all fall under the catagory i like to call sh!tcore.

Quote by Union Jake
Oh and BTW i didn't start it, i was like WTF at first but then everyone else did it, and i didn't wanna be left out,
Quote by xander307
ha, sounds like one of my gigs lol

Yeah, mine too.
Sail upon the open skies
Page 1 of 2