I get the concept of a drill stop, but is there a better way to do it than buying a bunch of little plastic things? I don't have access to a drill press either so is there a way to do the drill stopping with a hand drill? Also, it is alright to do this with a hand drill? Any tips on getting it as straight as possible?
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
I have a metal cap that you can attach to the drill bit, but I never use it. I find it alot easier to just mark the bit with some chalk so I know how deep to drill.

To get it as straight as possible I use the spirit level that's on the hand drill, what are you drilling btw??
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Sorry, forgot to mention that haha. I'm drilling the tuner holes in my neck's headstock, and ill be drilling the holes for my pickguard and attaching my neck.
I'd say try to get a drill press for the headstock, a hand drill will be awkward going all the way through the wood and a drill press will help you get it done quickly and cleanly.

I don't know about the holes for the pick guard though, I wouldn't worry about going too deep there, just as long as you don't go all the way through, and the neck holes need to go all the way through too so you won't really need a stop.
Quote by ravioli123

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
You can drill tuner holes with a handheld power drill, but you won't do it right.

If you can, in any way, use a drill press for this, then do it.

For the tuner holes you don't need a depth stop, and for things that require depth stops, I would suggest wrapping a piece of masking tape or something visually noticeable on the bit however deep you want to go, and just stopping when you get deep enough.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I thought about using tape or something like that but i wasn't sure if that would work well or not.
Your eyes do the work, the tape is merely a tool.

If you are capable of sight, and capable of taking your hand off the drill's trigger, you should be fine.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
It can be very difficult to line the up perfectly.

The way to do it is to clamp the headstock to piece of scrap wood that you can drill into if you must.

This way, you can focus on keeping the drill from wandering and ensuring it is straight.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
So i'm guessing tuning peg holes need to be completely straight through?
Quote by tremonti9482
So i'm guessing tuning peg holes need to be completely straight through?

Yeah, how far were you going to drill through??
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by ravioli123
Yeah, how far were you going to drill through??

Think about this for a second.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Think about this for a second.

Ahh, I wasn't thinking there for a second lol Now I know what he means
Quote by ravioli123

haha yeah i was more talking about the straightness factor more than the distance through, i know theyre going all the way through haha
If it's a little off is it gonna screw up anything big or is it just gonna have to be as close to straight as possible.
No it won't screw up anything.

You can put tuners anywhere you damn well please, they just might not look so hot if they aren't in line.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Oh i'll be fine with the inline part, i'm talking like straight as in through the wood, like how straight through the wood they go.
That won't matter much.

So long as you aren't Michael J. Fox, you cam drill straight enough holes.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Alright cool that's good news cause i dont think i can get a drill press anytime soon, or ever unless I bought one, so at least for this first build, it'll probably have to be hand drilled.
FTR, I thought you guyses meant the screws for the tuner holes, not the actual holes themselves.
------

Shwiggity.
Man, I need to learn to be more clear with my threads haha This is all about the holes, yes.
Local highschools, work shops, carpenters...

Even a metal working shop may have one, and you just need to bring a wood bit.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo