Um, depends what the guitar is, some guitars, like fender Strats, have all of the electronics and pickups attatched to the pickquard, you can't get rid of those. While some guitars, like Les Pauls, have the pickups and electronics built into the body and the pickguards can easily be removed.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Well, some fenders have the electronics built into the body, I think telecasters look better without pickguards, I think strats look better with them. I think Les Pauls look better without pickguards. I took the pickguard off of mine and haven't had any issues as far as markings from the pick goes.
i like pickguards because it is usually easier to get into the body for me to change out electronics and what not
Most of the time, I like having a pickguard. All the fun crap you can do them without a second thought. You can always change out a pickguard for a different color one or cover it in stickers or random stuff. Pickguards are awesome... but not for every guitar.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Can anyone show me a fender strat without pickguard? Never thought of one not having it

Edit: I googled it, and learnt it doesn't work :P
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by tiky
Can anyone show me a fender strat without pickguard? Never thought of one not having it

For Strats, yes. For Les Pauls and others, no way.
Quote by Flying Couch

****, it looks naked.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by tiky

Edit: I googled it, and learnt it doesn't work :P

They have a couple models w/o one
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0101580852
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0101570852
it depends on the guitar...

i personally like pick gaurds though.
RE!
SPECT!
WALK!

What'd you say?!
Look at the name, what else would gaurd your picks if you didn't have one.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
i personally think pickguards compliment the body shape of certain guitars. i really dun like non-pickguard guitars. even maple topped guitars, i prefer them having a pickguard on top. I know, shame on me - covering the figure lol
Pickguard=more overtones and less fundamental. If you want more overtones, go with a pickguard. I think this only applies for guitars where the pickups are mounted on the pickguard though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs

Do you know much about this strat? I have the exact same one, it's mexican right?
I removed mine, I think it looks far better without it even if I have two screws attatched to nothing in the body.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, alpine white. Scratchplate removed.

Line 6 Spider II Combo
Quote by Jayex
I still really wonder what are pick guards actually for anyway...

Most of the times, to protect the guitars' finish from fingernail/pick scratches.

I like some guitars with pickguards. Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers...
Out of those, only SuperStrats and Les Pauls can pull the "no pickguard look" off, imho.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
On Gibson style guitars I prefer them off because they get in the way like one year old topics that have been bumped. This could have been avoided by a simple PM.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
On Gibson style guitars I prefer them off because they get in the way like one year old topics that have been bumped. This could have been avoided by a simple PM.

i like your analogy there.
I hate it when manufacturers build guitars and paint them beautiful colours then stick a horrible lump of Black or white or cream plastic on the front. So for me its no pickguard
I hate it when a 7 year old thread gets bumped!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13