No, Its really just adding a thicker gauge but then you do have to go get a set up.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Are you planning to install 11s or 12s on it?

If you use phosphor bronze strings, you won't get any sound, since they're non-magnetic.
well then i got another problem,

when i tune my high E string and then play the 12th fret it registers closer to a low D. I have to do a big bend to get it up to an E.
It starts going out of tune around the 3rd fret.

the B string also acts similar.
Last edited by 0ut0f0rder at Jan 30, 2009,
Yeah, that's called intonation. Whenever you change string gauge, you need to do a setup on your guitar. This involves setting the action and adjusting the intonation. If you do too drastic of a gauge change, then you may need to have the nut recut.
I tried raising and lowering the string and adjusting the length of the string but nothing helped
Last edited by 0ut0f0rder at Jan 30, 2009,
You'll either have to live with it, or
Go back to the gauge the guitar was designed for, or
Have the guitar setup with a new nut, most likely one that is compensated for the new gauge. It may even require major modification to the guitar to make it work.

What gauge did you install?
Well, that may be part of the problem. Old strings stretch, which can knock out your intonation. That's why you typically change strings before doing a setup on a guitar. I suspect it may also have a lot to do with the string's thickness.