Alright, I am sure now that I am going to be getting a Carbon Copy delay, most likely an MXR Phase 90, and a distortion... but therein lies my problem. I don't know what kind of distortion to get. Right now, I have a Tubescreamer for my beloved overdrive, but for situations in which I need more umph, I wanted to get a distortion. So, I ask you these three things...

First, which OD do you think I should get for a bluesy-rock sound?

Second, how would you place my mentioned pedals in order of importance?
What kind of amp are you using?

eyeEDIT: disregard the post below me. Not only is that Boss pedal complete shit...but it's not going to get you anywhere near what you're looking for.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 30, 2009,
The whole tubescreamer/distortion issue really depends on your amp. What are we working with?
Quote by SilverchairFan
If it were me, Id probly go Delay-Distortion-Phase

+1 to eyebanez

distortion sounds should not go after modulation. My recommendations are to put any modulation effects in the effects loop for the best sound. And at for a distortion, Rat? BSIAB2? Big muff (i know its a fuzz), or use ur TS in conjunction with amp OD
try to get an early 90s proco rat. their new pedals aren't the same quality, and the older stuff sounds sick!
To the Boss suggestion, thanks, but I despise Boss pedals. And to those asking me for equipment, I use a Strat fitted with Texas Specials, and a Fender Blues Jr. So, with the Tubescreamer and natural overdrive from the amp, I can get a very Overdrive sound, but not distortion.
And I now realize I said "these three things" and only asked two questions. dumbasslol?
And holy ****, I meant what distortion on my first question, I'm on a roll with this thread, aren't I?
Quote by SilverchairFan
BOSS pedals rule, end of story

I'm sorry, but have you played any non-boss/digitech pedals?
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by SilverchairFan
BOSS pedals rule, end of story

No.

What kind of dist. do you want?
Quote by SilverchairFan
I hate Digitech other than signature pedals like the Crossroads or Jimi pedal

All others are crap

There are other pedals out there besides Boss and Digitech...
the phase 90 is awesome, the carbon i've heard is also awesome if you want analog

older proco rats are good, but how heavy do you need?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Name a band whose distortion you really like and would like to sound close to....but of course not emulate directly
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Mitchell?
No.

What kind of dist. do you want?

Something I could use for more rock/classic rock leads.

Quote by SilverchairFan
BOSS all the way
either a Metal Zone or a Blues Driver should give you the tones you want

I believe I said bluesy or rock distortion, and I don't think either of those pedals is for that category. I have an Overdrive pedal already, a Tubescreamer, which is far better than a BOSS Blues Driver. And as for the Metal Zone... that pedal is full of teh 3pic failz.

And you guys are talking about a "Proco Rat" distortion. Is Proco short for something?
Quote by OneTimer1127
Something I could use for more rock/classic rock leads.

I believe I said bluesy or rock distortion, and I don't think either of those pedals is for that category. I have an Overdrive pedal already, a Tubescreamer, which is far better than a BOSS Blues Driver. And as for the Metal Zone... that pedal is full of teh 3pic failz.

And you guys are talking about a "Proco Rat" distortion. Is Proco short for something?

I don't think its short for anything. I'm pretty sure its just a ****ed up name.

you could almost get another overdrive pedal, and just use that on top of the amp and the tubescreamer?
just a thought

i really hate recommending a distortion pedal to anybody, because most of the time they will suck

btw, if you want a transparent od with a lot of gain look into a Fulltone OCD
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Oh, and one more thing...

Quote by nightraven
and for the love of god do not run your delay before your other effects

I was asking which pedals should I buy first/last/in between, but he phrased it odd....ly.
Quote by SilverchairFan
I recommend what I want, plaind and simple.
If you dont like it, dont read it.
Boss pedals are great, but not everyone likes them.
I dont need criticism from people who think they know it all. Ive been doing this a long time and when people ask for suggestions, I give em ideas.
Im here to try and answer questions, not make friends with a bunch of people who think theyre musicians just beacuse they can beat Guitar Hero on Expert

yup. you reccomend what you want. and if we feel your reccomendations will only lead people on this forum to waste money, we voice it out to prevent such a thing.

this is a thread where someone is looking for help. therefore, we all feel the need to make sure suggestions made are not completely out of point.

"Boss pedals all the way" was something completely out of point. if the other users on this forum are led to believe that "all boss pedals must be good", it would be very similar to saying that one "must by a marshall amp including an MG no matter what because
marshall is good".

No one here said they play guitar hero. this is also a completely irrelevant point and a pathetic attempt to discredit the other users who have contributed constructively to this thread.

to the TS,

i reccomend

Boss OD - 2R Turbo Overdrive
it would produce enough gain for what you want.
Last edited by daryle_goh at Jan 31, 2009,
actually....if you want a really over-the-top distortion...a fuzz may be in order.....just depends on how you want to use it.

oh, and the obligatory get an MI Audio Crunch Box. Roaring plexi distortion FTW!
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Jan 31, 2009,
Okay, Boss makes some good pedals, but they aren't "teh best evar!" there are better pedals out there. But they aren't total crap either.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Thanks for the help guys, I finally decided on one. What I meant by more "oomph" was a more edgy tone, so I wasn't just limited to overdrive, but I could play harder rock rhythms, and more of a smooth-distorted lead. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I tried the ProCo Rat Distortion II, and I ended up getting it. So far, I like it alot. It was quite affordable, and it can even sound fuzzy if I turn the filter up, and then use my tubescreamer to add more of an unnatural tone.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the contributions.

And I'm just wondering, was that Guitar Hero comment directed at me? I kind of find that humorous, because I actually play that game alot. But who am I to think I can play guitar AND a video game never meant to replace the real thing? ABSURD!
Quote by OneTimer1127

First, which OD do you think I should get for a bluesy-rock sound?

Fuchs Valve Job.
love it.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by SilverchairFan
BOSS all the way
either a Metal Zone or a Blues Driver should give you the tones you want

Pedal order is a preferrence, it depends what tone you wanna get. Every combination will give you a different tone. Put the distortion first and youll hear a difference in the other pedals, and so forth.
If it were me, Id probly go Delay-Distortion-Phase

This is probably one of the worst tone tips I've ever heard.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by forsaknazrael
A good amount of them are, though.

just to help this thread/TS make decisions....the only BOSS i would go near are the digital delays and the better digital chorus pedals.

and those are the only BOSS pedals i would go near.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^That's true. Their delay pedals are nice, and so are their reverbs. The CE-2 is nice, too! Modified DS-1's can be cool...

i've never been a fan of the reverbs....always felt so....lifeless in my opinion.

yeah, i actually almost bought the CE-20.....then i backed out.

i've never actually played a modded DS-1, actually.....i may mod mine this summer since all it does is act as a nice paperweight anymore.
i may have missed the first life of this thread, but i read it and just want to say, after all the BOSS debate, the Keeley modified BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver sounds awsome, its an extremely versatile pedal, and takes an industry standard pedal and takes it to the next level

i spent like two hours in the shop trying out pedals, one to fill my need of versatile overdrive providing anything from clean boost right up to heavy crunch. i tried T-rex's, Fulltones, and loads of other recommendations, and the last one i tried was the keeley/boss, and straight away i knew it was the one to get! (and alot cheaper haha)

so just a recommendation for anyone else!
if you don't like standard Boss pedals, looked at modified ones

Edit: OH, and to the thread maker, good choice on the phase 90, they do sound awsome! (although thats from my limited knowledge, i still think my EVH Phase 90 is great!)
Last edited by jaybals at Feb 1, 2009,
^Modified ones are pretty heavily modified. Not really comparable to the originals.

Quote by Skierinanutshel
i've never been a fan of the reverbs....always felt so....lifeless in my opinion.

yeah, i actually almost bought the CE-20.....then i backed out.

i've never actually played a modded DS-1, actually.....i may mod mine this summer since all it does is act as a nice paperweight anymore.

I've tried one of the Japanese Boss reverbs. Sounded great.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Modified ones are pretty heavily modified. Not really comparable to the originals.

I've tried one of the Japanese Boss reverbs. Sounded great.

huh, i'll have to see if i can find a japanese one then.

*puts on quest cloak*
Quote by jaybals
i may have missed the first life of this thread, but i read it and just want to say, after all the BOSS debate, the Keeley modified BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver sounds awsome, its an extremely versatile pedal, and takes an industry standard pedal and takes it to the next level

i spent like two hours in the shop trying out pedals, one to fill my need of versatile overdrive providing anything from clean boost right up to heavy crunch. i tried T-rex's, Fulltones, and loads of other recommendations, and the last one i tried was the keeley/boss, and straight away i knew it was the one to get! (and alot cheaper haha)

so just a recommendation for anyone else!
if you don't like standard Boss pedals, looked at modified ones

Edit: OH, and to the thread maker, good choice on the phase 90, they do sound awsome! (although thats from my limited knowledge, i still think my EVH Phase 90 is great!)

I personally could barely hear the difference, really.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.