Hotel California's opening progression includes both an Emaj and Emin chord in the same progression; how/when do you use both maj and min chords of the same root note? Does the song change keys when this happens?
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

when it sounds good. Everything in theory does not need an explanation.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Listen to Norweigian Wood by The Beatles. It has a D to Dmin progression in it.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by Led man32
when it sounds good. Everything in theory does not need an explanation.

Theory IS an explanation, baka.

I wanna know this answer too, I have a D major chord in a Dm key, and I don't know if it's modulation or something.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by McGelie
Listen to Norweigian Wood by The Beatles. It has a D to Dmin progression in it.

actually a very large number of beatles songs do this.
Could it be an accidental? That would be the simplest explanation.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
its a subitution from the parallel majar or minor..

more than likely its not a modulation (i would say never.. but it could happen)

Edit: What other chords are there?
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Jan 30, 2009,
There are quite a few songs that do this. Another Eagles song, Lyin' Eyes, does the same thing in the chorus. I wouldn't say it's a key change, it's just a part of the progression that sounds good. While we're on the topic of Eagles, New Kid In Town does do a key change in the third verse. The song starts off in the key of E, then goes to the key of G.
The E major follows an A minor chord. This borows a G# note from A harmonic minor, in order to create a sort of descending chromatic idea. Bm - F#/A# - Am - E/G# - G - D/F#

The E minor is there because it's in key with Bm, the key of the song.

It's all there in the interest of sounding nice.
Bm, F#, A, E, G, D, Em, F#

The song is actually another non-diatonic chord in it. The F# isn't in the key, but it sounds good. Also the E.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 30, 2009,
I would say they're using the technique of borrowing from the parallel minor key. the song is in B minor, and the parallel major key would of course be B major in this case they using the parallel major to replace the 4th and 5th chords... IV and V instead of iv and v.

and of course, they do this because it simply sounds good. there is not much of a formula for knowing exactly when borrowing from the parallel key will work. it depends on the song. check out "I'm Your Captain" by Grand Funk Railroad for a great example... the song is in D major for the most part, but the bridge is in D minor.
Quote by victoryaloy
its a subitution from the parallel majar or minor..

finally! but no cookies for awful spelling