Hey, I was wondering if these symptoms are a sign of bad permanent things. I jammed on my guitar for like 5 hours as hard and up to my greatest playing capability on Monday and ever since then my hands have been cramped and I get pins and needles when I play. I wasn't really gauging how hard I was playing or how tense I was but I wish I did now...

The cramping has settled down but now I get pins and needles feelings mainly in my left hand and throbbing and cramping in my right. What should I do? I've taken a break from playing more than 45 minutes a day since Monday but this is still going on.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
try streatching exercises for your hand, streatch each finger out, your wrist, so on and so forth. same thing happend to me and thats how i solved it

OH and dont jam out so hard next time, take some break intervals every now and then let your hand rest. Drink something, eat something so on and so forth
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Last edited by heretic-clown at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by heretic-clown
try streatching exercises for your hand, streatch each finger out, your wrist, so on and so forth. same thing happend to me and thats how i solved it

OH and dont jam out so hard next time, take some break intervals every now and then let your hand rest. Drink something, eat something so on and so forth

Hey cool, thanks for the insight. Did you also get the pins and needles feeling in your elbows when you rested them on something? That's whats currently happening to me as well as the other stuff.
- Douglas Adams
i didn't get the pins in my elbows but that can be cause by lack of muscle flexibility in your forearm, try buying one of these

http://www.onlinefitness.com/product.cfm?pr=1445&ref=f

and what ghost of sparta says is also right, warming up before you just jam out will help you ALOT in the long run, you wont strain yourself so much
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Last edited by heretic-clown at Jan 30, 2009,
Quote by Ghost of Sparta
You might wanna take a couple days of rest. Hows your warm up technique? Assuming you have one that is.

Heh, err, well, I do the stretching John Petrucci does in the beginning of his Rock Discipline DVD... And thats about it. I should probably buy the entire thing and learn from it, it seems really solid from the previews I've seen on youtube. I know he has warm ups on it too. It's just frustrating to have these painful problems affect my favorite hobby and number one us of my time.
- Douglas Adams
Well, its just like anything else. If you dont give it a couple of days to heal, it will just get worse.

Kind of like running with a broken leg.
Do something else for a few days and go and see a doctor if the symptoms persist.
simon says (like everybody else), lay off for a few days

unless you're superman, your muscles need time to repair
Don't play for a few days. Try to rest your hands as much as possible. If it gets better soon, pay attention to your body next time. If it doesn't, see a doctor.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.