http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BlNVNpZA6IM

In this video of a song by Velvet Revolver. I absolutely love the bass tone in this, especially around 2 minutes in. If this is just a straight P Bass tone I'm gonna wonder what I was doing messing around with Jazzes for so long!

So, is this bass sound mainly due to the P Bass or is there some sort of special EQing going on to get that growl?
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
i didn't watch it, but if its VR then Duff uses a sig bass which has P+J pickups. Most likely somethin with his EQ too.
Hes playing a jazz for certain, but the camera doesnt close in on him at all, so i cant tell what kind. Its not the Aerodyne, theyre usually black. He is renown for using Fender Jazz Specials though. And as for the tone, im playing through laptop speakers so i cant get specific, but i think i heard distortion.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
You can see the P/J configuration in it. Other than that I know he plays with a pick.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Cody_Grey102

****, i was wrong then. I had a feeling it was his sig, but i didnt think most musicians actually played their Fender sigs

There you go TS - Its probable that he mixed both pick-ups to get his tone, and like i said i thought i heard a tad bit of distortion (but the quality of my speakers is dubious). Picking at the bridge of a Fender bass also gives a sweet crunchy tone too.

*Hands cookie to Cody Grey*
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by Cody_Grey102

Thanks man! I tried out a MIM Active P Special at my music shop today and it was perfect when combined with EQing heaps of everything except low mids. : D
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard