yeah, im thinkin of doin that to a cheap pawnshop bass too.

les claypool uses one does he not?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
rather useless for most, IMO.

I'd suggest getting a fretless unless you really need to dive bomb.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by CBNJ
Would it be hard to do?

no, just too showy.

I've used one. a fretless can do most of the same things. in fact, a good fretless player can make it do all said things.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
no, just too showy.

I've used one. a fretless can do most of the same things. in fact, a good fretless player can make it do all said things.

How much would the whole "conversion" cost?
Quote by CBNJ
How much would the whole "conversion" cost?

turning fretted to fretless?

or getting a new bridge?

yes, you slide. for vibrato, wipe that finger back and forth.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by CBNJ
For a new bridge.

hmm. dang. don't know the answer.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Anarkee, you've intrigued me now.
I recently bought a new ibanez gsr200 from a guy I know, and I got it pretty much brand new for £30.

(He has more money than sense)

I always need to do something to my instruments when I buy them, because I hate not putting your own personal touch on an instrument.
I had planned to de-fret it, but now (after checking out the kahlers and watching a few videos of tremolo systems) I am considering getting one.

My question is this, do bridges come in certain sizings?
Are there any ways of measuring them to make sure the bridge I buy fits.

(Plus I will be paying five times the price of the bass on the bridge)
Well, you will have to route a new hole for a tremolo, rear and front. So it wont just drop in work will need to be done.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yes--you need to route for them. The Kahlers come with a routing template to make things a bit easier.
It would have to be professionally done. Including the price of the trem bridge and installation, you're looking at around $500-$600. So it's not really worth putting that kind of money into a $300 bass if you want to try it on a low end bass first. Then if you're doing it to a $1200+ high end bass, you have to make the decision of: do you really want to have irreversable routing done on your expensive piece of wood.
Faily easy how good are you with a router, if notm that good, defantly try it out on lkots of pieces of wood before going to bass, and make a jig for it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Casketcreep
So it would be easy enough for me to do on my own?
Bearing in mind I only have minimal experience in modding.

Much depends on the value of your Bass, I would not consider doing any irreversable mods to an expensive Bass unless you're very rich, I would love to add a second pickup to my Stingray 5; but I won't.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by izhar
It would have to be professionally done. Including the price of the trem bridge and installation, you're looking at around $500-$600. So it's not really worth putting that kind of money into a $300 bass if you want to try it on a low end bass first. Then if you're doing it to a $1200+ high end bass, you have to make the decision of: do you really want to have irreversable routing done on your expensive piece of wood.

It really doesn't.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It really doesn't.

A high percentage of people on this forum don't have the equipment, knowledge or experience to put a cab together let alone start attacking a Bass Guitar with a router; I have good woodworking equipment and have many years experience building cabs setting up instruments etc but I would always recommend anyone that they take their instruments to a skilled craftsman for routing work; it only takes one slip.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
It works out as rather cheap to get it done in the shop.
The bridge itself is only £150, and about £20 for postage(as it's coming from america).
The price of actually getting it fitted is relatively cheap, no more then £40 or 50 I was told.
I want to go check out some other places though, because this guy has a habit of not knowing anything and overcharging me alot.

So ye, I'll update you guys in a week or so as to what's going on with it.
You can get one from germany, i think they sell them on the warwick shop.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul