How are they? Not that I'm necessarily going to get one or anything, I'm just wondering. I tried one out today and it seemed cool, but TECHNICALLY how good is it?
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

They're an in-house brand owned by Guitar Center. Never tried one but the general concensus on UG is to avoid them... I believe their RG series is solid state, and they don't make tube amps at all.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
those guns you have aimed at the spider in your sig...double them up for the raven.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Yes, avoid raven amps. I've tried the RG60 (or maybe it was the RG20.?...) It really lacks tone.
I leik music
I will say that they're useful for one thing....I use them to tune when I'm in GC.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I will say that they're useful for one thing....I use them to tune when I'm in GC.

Guess you're right there
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
They aren't even useful for that.

I didn't know they were owned by guitar center or nothin though. explains a lot for sure.

Still Recommending a pass, alot of better amps in that price range.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
I really wanted to get a Mesa for a while... But then I realized thats a dream that wont come true any time soon.

So perhaps you could recommend me a nice one that preferably isnt $1,000 or more?

I play a weird style. A mix of Reggae and ska, with metal, and funk elements.

I was recommended this today, at GC.

Actually, the one they recommended wasnt a tube, but yeah.
I thought those amps [vypyrs] are pretty cool, but the thing is, my friend gave me a couple stompboxes/effect pedals, so I dont wanna buy a loaded amp like that when i have the same effects in stompboxes.

But yeah. I'd like to keep the price under $700 so that or the regular vypyrs would probably do alright, I think.

The pedals I have are BOSS BF-3 Flanger, BOSS MT-2 Distortion, BOSS CE-5 Chorus, and the Wah-Wah (The only ones I bought was the Crybaby and the Chorus. He gave the others to me because he's switching primarily to bass, so that he and I, and a few other people can start up a band. He also just likes Bass better, apparently. So yeah. )
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Jan 31, 2009,
Ravens are better than Spiders, but worse than MGs IMO.

That's like saying seagulls sh*t less than cows but more than pigeons.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Haha nice. MGs are pretty ****ty...
Anyway yeah. Would a Vypyr be suitable for my situation, or is there a more 'blank' amp out there?

If that doesnt make sense, I mean a good amp, but with no built in effects.
Except for reverb, of course.

That was one thing I liked about the Ravens. Theres a switch to switch between reverb and delay. ..

Anyway yeah.
Please recommend me something. Fairly soon.

Thanks.

Are you gonna be gigging? Do you have one tone in mind or do you want lots of tones?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Eventually, yes, on the gigging. Not like tomorrow, but sometime in the near future yes. I pretty much have one tone in mind at the moment, but my tastes change all the time. Like I said earlier, I play a really weird style. Mixture of Reggae and Ska, Funk, and Metal. (I think I mentioned this here, idk tho. Ive posted a lot today)

So depending on what the dominant genre on any given song I write is, I could need anything from just some good clear, high treble cleans, to all out ass kicking, screeching distortion, as well as anything between those two.

I hope that makes sense.

Also, just for the record, I'm working on a custom electric. It will be similar to this Ibanez .

I believe thats pretty similar to what Brad Nowell from Sublime used, so yeah.

Just so you know.

The vypyr 75 would probably be good. Tons of tonal options and plenty of power to gig. I'd give it a try.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Is there a foot switch to go with the vypyrs? Cuz that could be problematic if theres not.

For example, Since I don't have EVERY effect or stompbox that the vypyr can simulate, and i use one on there, I need to be able to switch those effects off without walking over and dialing it in...