1. What's a good online website for lessons? I take lessons but i need more info.
2. What Scale is this guy improvising on? This is the style I want to play.
3. Where can I learn all about the modes?

THanks for helping my noobish questions
1. this one. and i believe all websites are considered to be "online."
2. you didn't post a link
3. this website. in fact, i wrote an article on it for UG columns... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052057 although mine is more of an in-depth thing that assumes the reader knows a bit about modes already.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jan 30, 2009,
1. I don't take online lessons, so no help there
2. Which guy? Did you mean to post a link somewhere?
3. Google, or buy a book.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
Quote by frigginjerk
1. this one. and i believe all websites are considered to be "online."
2. you didn't post a link
3. this website. in fact, i wrote an article on it for UG columns... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052057 although mine is more of an in-depth thing that assumes the reader knows a bit about modes already.

I checked ur link about using mode note in a progression, maybe I was reading wrong, but you say it's hard to include "modal" notes in the progression.

Have you ever tried Slash chords?

There you can remain the overall colour of "normal" chords (mostly triads) and still imply the mode because of the different root note.

TO TS;

I also made a small how-to guide (2nd link in my signature)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by guitarSKenji12
1. What's a good online website for lessons? I take lessons but i need more info.
2. What Scale is this guy improvising on? This is the style I want to play.
3. Where can I learn all about the modes?

THanks for helping my noobish questions

1. If you need more info then ask your teacher, that's what a teacher's for.
2. Someone else already answered it.
3. Here, read the music theory sticky and make sure you know about major and minor harmony before you start learning modes (modes are overated anyway, imo)/]

Off topic:
to friigginjerk- I could create a self contained website on my PC which was saved on my hard drive, and which works perfectly from my computer but it wouldn't be online.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I checked ur link about using mode note in a progression, maybe I was reading wrong, but you say it's hard to include "modal" notes in the progression.

Have you ever tried Slash chords?

There you can remain the overall colour of "normal" chords (mostly triads) and still imply the mode because of the different root note.

TO TS;

I also made a small how-to guide (2nd link in my signature)

i looked at your guide. good stuff. my article is referring more to people who are trying to play in a modal key, i.e. derive the standard triads from a mode, rather than make advanced chords that imply modes. i think i may have said that it's hard to make chord progressions using modes, but i go into greater detail focusing why it's hard to alter the standard chords (not so much the progressions) to fit a mode, rather than going into advanced stuff like your article.

your article is more about very strongly implying the modes in normal progressions, but you're mostly doing so by adding a bassline to complex chords played on the higher strings. don't get me wrong, it's all good, and a great piece. mine's aimed more at beginners who receive and pass on bad advice, and yours is aimed at people who are way past the basics of modal theory.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Off topic:
to friigginjerk- I could create a self contained website on my PC which was saved on my hard drive, and which works perfectly from my computer but it wouldn't be online.

lol. but then it's not really a website, cause it's not on the web. it would just be an html document.
Quote by frigginjerk
i looked at your guide. good stuff. my article is referring more to people who are trying to play in a modal key, i.e. derive the standard triads from a mode, rather than make advanced chords that imply modes. i think i may have said that it's hard to make chord progressions using modes, but i go into greater detail focusing why it's hard to alter the standard chords (not so much the progressions) to fit a mode, rather than going into advanced stuff like your article.

your article is more about very strongly implying the modes in normal progressions, but you're mostly doing so by adding a bassline to complex chords played on the higher strings. don't get me wrong, it's all good, and a great piece. mine's aimed more at beginners who receive and pass on bad advice, and yours is aimed at people who are way past the basics of modal theory.

Yer it's a nice article, was the only thing I'd noticed.

But you know, ur right, it's such a big topic, covering it all in 1 is overkill

I'm gonna slightly rewrite my article though, cause the grammar lacks. I literally wrote down what came up in my head without editing it, to make it as authentic as possible, but I think it's best if I DO do a little grammatical/style correction on the writing.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yer it's a nice article, was the only thing I'd noticed.

But you know, ur right, it's such a big topic, covering it all in 1 is overkill

I'm gonna slightly rewrite my article though, cause the grammar lacks. I literally wrote down what came up in my head without editing it, to make it as authentic as possible, but I think it's best if I DO do a little grammatical/style correction on the writing.

i was gonna say, you should submit this as a UG Contribution. I submitted mine yesterday. it'd be good to have a couple of solid mode lessons / explanations / clarifications on the site that we can just refer all the theory noobs to when they post in MT.
Quote by frigginjerk
i was gonna say, you should submit this as a UG Contribution. I submitted mine yesterday. it'd be good to have a couple of solid mode lessons / explanations / clarifications on the site that we can just refer all the theory noobs to when they post in MT.

Yer, I still have to do it, but I think I'll add to the article, with a Phrygian dominant example, since this one is use a lot, and is technically also a mode

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??