I used one after about 4 years of playing and it didn't do much for me.. I'd say they're mostly for beginners.
you're better off just playing your actual guitar. this way while strengthening your fingers you can also work on dexterity and finger independence.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
you're better off just playing your actual guitar. this way while strengthening your fingers you can also work on dexterity and finger independence.

This for sure. I also found it helpful to play bass for some time then going back to guitar.. Bass strengthens your fingers more and forces you to learn how to stretch across frets.
It helps me play upright bass but that's because it needs a lot of grip. For guitar get a light tension and don't go further, it will help a little but not a great deal.
the thing that helped me improve finger independence the most was piano. if it's possible at all just try to do some exercises on piano and your fingers will get stronger, hybrid pickin will be easier too
It probably encourages carpal tunnel, actually. I would stay away from those; just play your guitar.
I think speed is mostly gained from coordination of both your fretting hand and picking hand. You're better off doing chromatics with a metronome to build up speed and accuracy fast.