I've been playing for about six years now, so while I'm sure I'll be nervous, I'm not concerned with confidence or performance issues as much as I am practical stuff. Anything I should know or expect that I probably wouldn't if I'd never played a gig?
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Arrive early is my first one, you never know what the situation might be. The rest probably depends on where and what you are playing (also how long your set is).
If you don't play Raining Blood, they'll hate you.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
well your going to be fine until you get up on stage then you will see all them faces looking at you, i got hella nervous almost had a panic attack haha, just be confident in your playing it sounds like you are so you should be fine just get down when you play!
:]
Grinding at your head with my bone saw breaking zygoma
It's all about the stage presence.
If you stand there like a statue, you suck.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by kirkadolph
It's all about the stage presence.
If you stand there like a statue, you suck.

True. We got booed off the stage on my first gig because we didn't do anything, except my guitar player, but he is just a goof anyway and ****ed things up for us by walking too far from his amp about 30 times.
I like how you guys kind of ignored what I posted :P

Like I said, not really worried about the performance on our part. Not to sound cocky, anything can go wrong, but we're very well practiced. We all have lots of experience playing live, save for me, heh. As for stage presence, my trusty friend alcohol will take care of that.

I'm talking more a long the lines of "Oh ****, I wish I had brought (insert something here)", or something technical.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Bring what you need. How can someone on the internet magically know exactly what apparatus your "first gig" requires?

It's like asking Adolf Hitler for your social security number. He doesn't ****ing know.
Quote by Russell.Thayer
Bring what you need. How can someone on the internet magically know exactly what apparatus your "first gig" requires?

It's like asking Adolf Hitler for your social security number. He doesn't ****ing know.

he is asking for advice on past experiences of more experienced live players.
not asking for exact info xD
lets be nice people!
Make sure you bring a few extra B and high E strings.
It always sucks balls to break a string mid gig. Especially if you don't have a backup guitar.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by Cafas
I'm talking more a long the lines of "Oh ****, I wish I had brought (insert something here)", or something technical.

Sunglasses and a water bottle
Avoid caffeine. Playing live always gives me an addreneline rush. If you drink coffee, soda, or energy drinks, that rush feels like a cocaine overdose.

Bring extra strings, picks, cables, batteries, etc. Change your strings before your show, and make sure they're stretched out good.

Make sure you can hear yourself. I don't mean that you have to be excessively loud. Just that your amp is at a reasonable level and in a good position for you to hear what you're doing.

Most of all... Have Fun!
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by seth's daddy
Avoid caffeine. Playing live always gives me an addreneline rush. If you drink coffee, soda, or energy drinks, that rush feels like a cocaine overdose.

I can account for this, as this was my main problem at the last gig I played, although it was messy, fortunately it went down well with people.

Remember spare strings, spare leads, duct tape, screwdrivers, **** loads of picks (in different places, so if you lose one bunch there are more elsewhere), patch cables, tuner, bottle of water, spare strap and a sandwich.
Pretty much have a spare everything. Duct tape, is a must. Water bottle. Plenty of picks, you dont wanna be scrabbling around for picks when you drop them.

Think rationally, because often, everything that can go wrong will. Before the gig, make a list of everything you'll need (i mean, genuinely, write it down) and then tick it off once you have assembled the stuff.

Batteries are a must if you use pedals that way!

Im sure theres more but i can't think.

db
well, make sure you've got everything there, If you can; do a soundcheck. you'll feel so much more relieved the first times you play live if you're able to do a soundcheck.

Quote by pebbles123
DUCT TAPE....
saves you everytime....

this guy ^^
read and learn from him
You like it
Whats with the duct tape thing?
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
Quote by Dealer16
Whats with the duct tape thing?

It's used for everything you could possibly think of.

organising cables, drum muffling if a head breaks, everything.
You'll thank us once you get to the point you need it.
You like it
Oh. Nice then. ;D
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
Quote by pebbles123
DUCT TAPE....
saves you everytime....

That and black masking tape are my best friends.

I NEVER go out to play a show or practice without:
Extra everything: strings, cables.
A couple of these:

EDIT: Make an inventory of everything you brought. It sucks when you lose/get stuff stolen after a gig.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Last edited by shut_up_n00b at Jan 31, 2009,
Definitely bring power strips.
Extra everything, as already mentioned.
Permanent marker or two.
Small flashlight.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Two words. Pre-show dump.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300