What are the differences you've noticed in string brands? I just got new strings on my bass a few weeks ago, I decribed to the guy I wanted something with a warm, low, a fat tone to it and he gave me a pack of Ernie Ball regular's without much thought into it. I was thinking about trying out Elixir strings next time I buy a new set, specifically these: Five string

Are Elixir's very good? They're advertised as long-lasting. Most importantly, what are the sound differences you've noticed with strings?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Last edited by Helbent Revenge at Jan 31, 2009,
I know Elixers are very long lasting.

I do know that roto swing 66 is really worth looking at.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
DR low-riders are specifically supposed to give you a fat tone. I used to use them. I've switched to Rotos now. I just eq in the fatness I want. Rotos will be brighter. Very Very bright at first. play on them for a bit to get rid of the "edge". Then they sound wonderful.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
The biggest differences are in tone and durability. I have been using the Elixirs on my Am Jazz for around 6 years. They are very nice for finger style playing, last a very long time, and have a reasonably bright tone. They tend to hold up well against abuse, oily grime, and temp changes. I consider them the best practice strings on the market.
Elixers seem to be very love hate around here, best thing to do is just see if they are right for you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Roto's for a 5-string on MusiciansFriend are pretty limited, one set that really caught my eye was ths friggin think set: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rotosound-RS885LD-Trubass-Black-Nylon-Strings?sku=102879

65 - 75 - 100 - 115 - 135, HOLY CRAP those are thick. I'm assuming that most people when buying for a 5-string get these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rotosound-RS665LD-Roundwound-5String-Bass-Strings?sku=102877

I should re-state the focus of the thread though, which strings produce what kind of sound, that's the important factor I'm looking for. If one brand sucks tell me your reasoning, if one is awesome again I'd like your input as to why.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Last edited by Helbent Revenge at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by Black Ox
Does anyone know how the Ernie Ball Power Slinky sound?

crackly, then dead, with very little time in between.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Black Ox
Does anyone know how the Ernie Ball Power Slinky sound?

I have the regular slinky's on mine right now, sound about average but a bit brighter, dunno if that helps any.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Well I usally use regular slinky's, but last string change I opted for DR Extra Lifes and I pefer them now and they have the added bonus of being black beauties, but that is no reason to buy strings.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
If you're looking for thick strings look at some heavy Stadium Elites if you can get them in from the UK
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You can order 2 sets of Stadium Elites on line now for what you usually pay for 2 sets of Rotos.
I've switched from a few kinds, and just put on Ernie Balls for the first time. I like them...sound warm with a thick tone, at least to me. I want to try the heavy gauge next, since I'm in a crue band and play in D-standard.
Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string
Ibanez GSR200
SWR Goliath II 4x10
Eden 115XL
Carvin B1500 head
hi
if you want that real double bass sound then go for RotaSound Tru Bass 88.
best think did was to change to them on my fretless Harper 5 string bass.
black plastic coated strings, feel and sound great. 65 to 135 gauge.
Beatles used them on the abbey road album.
I put DR's on about two weeks ago and I'm really liking them.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I've got some d'addario half rounds on my bass right now. previously have used Ernie Balls and D'addario XLs. I liked the XLs better than the EBs but the half rounds are amazing. They sound kinda like dead roundwounds, brighter and with more attack than flatwounds, but nothing like a steel roundwound. L quite like them for classic rock and reggae.
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Roto's for a 5-string on MusiciansFriend are pretty limited, one set that really caught my eye was ths friggin think set: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rotosound-RS885LD-Trubass-Black-Nylon-Strings?sku=102879

65 - 75 - 100 - 115 - 135, HOLY CRAP those are thick. I'm assuming that most people when buying for a 5-string get these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rotosound-RS665LD-Roundwound-5String-Bass-Strings?sku=102877

I should re-state the focus of the thread though, which strings produce what kind of sound, that's the important factor I'm looking for. If one brand sucks tell me your reasoning, if one is awesome again I'd like your input as to why.

Well, those are nylon strings...

Anyway, I suggest RotoSound. Yeah, they're they only strings I've owned besides stock ones, but I absolutely love them. They brought my bass to life.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I'm not a fan of bright sound though, I like a low, "thump", warm sound, Roto's seem to be very bright from what people say.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
I'm not a fan of bright sound though, I like a low, "thump", warm sound, Roto's seem to be very bright from what people say.

Try some flatwound strings, they're pretty much pure thump and best of all, you'll barely ever have to replace them (although they do cost a bit more). Personally I love elites, so see if you can get a hold of a set of these:
http://www.basscentre.com/5-string-bass-sets/elites-flatwound-v.html
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.