In my physics class, we're supposed to design and create something to launch eggs as far as we can.
The only limitations we have are that we can't use chemical reactions ( and I'm awesome with those), we can't use pressure, and it can't be any longer than 6 feet in any direction.
Does the Pit have any good ideas?

EDIT: I've already thought of a trebuchet and catapults. I'm looking for more... Original ideas.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Jan 31, 2009,
tighten an elastic band to near breaking point, then clamp it into position with the egg. Let the tension build up for about 30 mins, then load the egg and fire.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
have it against a taut rubber band and creat a massive rube goldberg chain leading up to the launch
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
12 inch piece of spring steel. Make a base, and a triangle like piece of wood. Put the piece of spring steel to the base (Catapult like) and make a cup for the top of the spring steel. I made one once and it launched a ball over 50 feet.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by daytripper75
trebuchet

nah, that one is too small, you want something that will put all other egg launchers to shame

in reality, Take a skateboard, remove the front set of wheels, put a bowl on the end you removed the wheels from, set the egg in there, step on the other end...bam...egg launched. A friend of mine did it for a water balloon launching contest where we had to launch a water balloon ten feet............we shot it across the parking lot.....

EDIT:
Quote by daytripper75
he said it could only be 6 feet in any direction.

although it would be badass to roll that thing into the school parking lot.

that is why I have provided him with the skateboard alternative.

I also may add, for the bowl on the end of the board, make it a metal bowl, my friend and I used a plastic one and after 3 launches the bowl was destroyed.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by in2thesun88
nah, that one is too small, you want something that will put all other egg launchers to shame

^ especially if you had the decapitated heads of your foes lit aflame to fling across said parking lot.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I don't think that a crossbow would work. I've got to be able to bring it to school... Without getting arrested.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Well if the crossbow is modified to fire eggs you should be safe?

slings are always fun

addle addle?
doesnt crossbow count as pressure?

a pitcher and a baseball bat.....

Edit:

tie a rope around the egg

stand on a ladder make the rope 6 foot long spin in a circle around you like ona a side of you and then let go when u have lots of speed hard to explain
Last edited by beetroot10 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by beetroot10
doesnt crossbow count as pressure?

a pitcher and a baseball bat.....

I'm guessing the teacher means air pressure...technically the bow produces tension.
We did that for physics recently, except with water balloons. We kind of designed a crossbow/mortar out of surgical hose and PVC pipes

This is for projectile motion and all that jazz, right?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Soul Power
We did that for physics recently, except with water balloons. We kind of designed a crossbow/mortar out of surgical hose and PVC pipes

This is for projectile motion and all that jazz, right?

That looks interesting. What exactly did you use to make it shoot.

Yeah, that's what it's for.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
wouldn't that pressure break the egg?
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
Quote by Mike50227
wouldn't that pressure break the egg?

eggs can take lots of pressure. they smash easy but can take lots of pressure
Quote by SOADrox429
That looks interesting. What exactly did you use to make it shoot.

Yeah, that's what it's for.

THAT... is a real mortar
I second the motion of stomping the skateboard. You will win, and everyone else will hate you, because it's so simple.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Killedelphia19
THAT... is a real mortar

I know what it is. I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to fire it without using pressure or chemical reactions.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
wait, isnt your only choice a trebuchet, since every other idea has pressure, chemical reactions, or is illegal to bring to school?

isnt an egg launcher illegal to bring to school?
No chemical reactions huh

What if you used a nuclear reaction like an atomic bomb? Seriously though, you could use a solenoid coil to accelerate a metal disk which could launch the egg.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by daytripper75

whos gonna argue about it only being able to be 6 ft when you have that? i can see that convo.

"its only allowed to be 6 ft"

"theres a $100 bill in the basket for you"

*swing*

*splat*
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Get 2 really big neodymium magnets, strap the egg to one, and clamp the two like sides together. Then put the magnets in side a barrel of some sorts and release the clamp; the egg should go far.
Last edited by hippiebass at Jan 31, 2009,
IDK if its been posted but how bout one of those T-Shirt launchers? You'd have to put something around the egg to make a good seal though. Maybe a big-ass o-ring?