Hi guys,

So i'm so glad in about a week I'll be getting my new guitar, an Ibanez RGT42DX. Currently my problem is with my Epiphone SG. I was taking off the strings today to clean it and I realized these streaks on it.

What are they? They've got me worried about things like poor care, humidity, etc. I've had the guitar for about a year and a half, almost two years. I never really polished the frets, just cleaned them, wiped them off, etc. What's the cause of it?

Oh by the way, I live in Juneau, Alaska where we get 90 inches of rain per year, with hardly any sunshine. We have our oil heater on almost all the time so maybe thats drying it out? I don't know can you guys help? Thanks!
jedinix

Shredding with an RGT42DX
Last edited by jedinix at Jan 31, 2009,
Its not skin, its like little scratches...
jedinix

It's just dirt, dust and all those other things that get into the GRAIN of the wood. They are not scratches. And that is completely normal. Dunlop makes a nice kit with fretboard cleaner and fretboard oil. You might want to invest in one of those.

Your Fretboard looks a little dry. Living in Alaska I'm pretty sure your home heater is on quite a bit. Unless you have a home humidifier your air is probably pretty dry. Sucking moisture wherever it can get it.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Allrighty! Thanks for your quick reply!

Looks like I'll be getting some fretboard oil/cleaner and a humidifier. Thanks!
jedinix

Yes, that is severly dehydrated wood. Try lemon oil (the kind you get at a music store, not a furniture store) put it on the fretboard, and use a lot. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then check it, any spots where it looks like the oil has soaked into the wood put more on. Then leave it for another 5 minutes. Then wipe it off, keep doing that about every month, or every time you change your strings.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
tis finger poo my friend...

on a serious note - it's dead skin that has worked it's way into the grain of the wood.

Nothing bad here, just shows that your guitar's been used, and can be cleaned out by fretboard cleaners etc.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Rosewood is comparatively open grain. This looks like a build-up of skin particles and (mostly) sweat residue and can be improved by cleaning with a suitable wood oil. Atmospheric conditions may affect the rate that it develops but I've had it happen in fairly dry to quite damp situations. The only guitars it never happened on both had ebony fretboards.
It's dirt, sweat, dead skin, dust, whatever...nothing to panic about.

Edit... Assuming you mean those vertical white lines...
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Jan 31, 2009,
Yeah, there is nothing wrong there. Its just dead skin and needs cleaned. I use Lemon oil on mine about every 6 months or 1 a year. By the way, I have a G-400 and it looks very similar when it gets dirty.
Well, that looks like my Epi LP Standard's fretboard when it hasn't had a clean for bit. Dunlop "Ultimate Lemon Oil" sorts it out nicely, as I'm sure do other fretboard cleaners. Leaves the fretboard feeling considerably lovelier as well.

One tip though...

If you are going to use lemon oil on it, make sure you obey the "wipe away excess oil" part of the instructions, or your next few days will be a lot more lemony and oily than you'd like as it's a bugger to get any excess off once you've restrung the guitar (for obvious reasons...).
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
It's a dot inlay
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
looks a bit like smeg to me
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
its perfectly fine
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by vulgarmachine

on a serious note - it's dead skin that has worked it's way into the grain of the wood.

Nothing bad here, just shows that your guitar's been used, and can be cleaned out by fretboard cleaners etc.

That sounds so disgusting...

I'm so happy for my glossed fretboard
yeah man just use some cleaning stuff on it and it will be cool. I wondered about it too, I have asked many people, (store guys, guitar teahcers, repairers, techs) all of em say that. But yeah it's cool. But dont let it build up a lot or it will take a little while to really clean it good, and it makes my hands slower but yeah. just clean it, restring your guitar with some Elixers or something man (elixers last like forever almost haha) but yeah after that your guitar should be ready and gig-capable in no time! hahaha. keep rocking my friend.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by boxcarmonument
It's just dirt, dust and all those other things that get into the GRAIN of the wood. They are not scratches. And that is completely normal. Dunlop makes a nice kit with fretboard cleaner and fretboard oil. You might want to invest in one of those.

Your Fretboard looks a little dry. Living in Alaska I'm pretty sure your home heater is on quite a bit. Unless you have a home humidifier your air is probably pretty dry. Sucking moisture wherever it can get it.

I have that and I can only recommend it.

Yeah, it's just dirt and dead skin, nothing to worry about.
Quote by vulgarmachine

yes, yes it is
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
Lemon Oil, as said.
Although, I read for you to do it every month or so.. which I wouldn't recommend. Try 2, maybe 3, times a year for putting lemon oil on your fretboard.
I had similar stuff on my guitar. I just took the strings off, wiped it down with a T-shirt, and put new strings on. I'd been wanting to change strings for a while anyway.

I should have taken pics. You wouldn't believe the amount of gunk on that t-shirt...