The allen bolt on my locking nut for my Jackson Ke3 wont tighten because it has worn out. The Allen key will no longer turn the bolt clockwise
I can loosen it but not tighten it.

Before i go and get a new one tomorrow, (which i will do,) is there anyway to temporarily fix it so i can tighten and play.
Sticky Tape. Or just use a Capo
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Capo isnt a bad idea, i'll just play everything a semitone higher i suppose...

But i dont see stickytape having the pressure to hold the tuning...
Quote by Butt Rayge
Capo isnt a bad idea, i'll just play everything a semitone higher i suppose...

But i dont see stickytape having the pressure to hold the tuning...

Yeah honestly that was just something to type while I thought of a real answer.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Lol...

My nut's done the same thing. Allen keys are ****e man, why cant people just use crosshead screws?!
Quote by McShredder
Lol...

My nut's done the same thing. Allen keys are ****e man, why cant people just use crosshead screws?!

+ Fucking 1
I guess a 4 way screw would round out faster than an allen headed bolt....If you use the correct allen wrench. Which I am sure you all do, they are included with the guitars. :/ sounds like you may have got shafted on an allen wrench, or maybe you are using a metric when you need a standard or something?
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
The Key was just made of stronger stuff than the bolt , and i was too rough with it i guess...
Are you 100% sure you're using imperial allen keys with imperial bolts / metric with metric?
I'm using the one that came with the guitar, the one that has always worked until today. As i said, the bolt has worn out and is no longer hexagonal. It has been rounded off.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I'm using the one that came with the guitar, the one that has always worked until today. As i said, the bolt has worn out and is no longer hexagonal. It has been rounded off.
That really should never have happened and if you didn't say so, I would also blame it on use an "inch" wrench on metric screws or vis-versa.

Take one of them to a hardware store and you may be able to get a replacement.
Quote by Butt Rayge
The allen bolt on my locking nut for my Jackson Ke3 wont tighten because it has worn out. The Allen key will no longer turn the bolt clockwise
I can loosen it but not tighten it.

Before i go and get a new one tomorrow, (which i will do,) is there anyway to temporarily fix it so i can tighten and play.

What has worn out?
Are the threads on the bolt stripped? Is the hole where the allen wrench fits in rounded out? Is the Allen wrench itself worn out?
Allen wrenches > Screws by far, i love them, but just get the right set of tools.
In a hardware store or something you can buy MUCH better wrenches than you get delivered with the guitar.

And for the screw, either tape the screw, or just play without it?
needle nose pliers?

it doesn't need to be too tight.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
needle nose pliers?

it doesn't need to be too tight.

thats probably the cause of his problem, dont crank them right up and you should never round them.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
^ he means just wrap the pliers around the screw head to tighten for a temporary fix. You can't ruin in that way, besides he his getting a new screw anyway.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
^ he means just wrap the pliers around the screw head to tighten for a temporary fix. You can't ruin in that way, besides he his getting a new screw anyway.

I think he was addressing my second sentence rather than the first.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^Ahh... my bad. Yeah, you don't need very much pressure, you can almost tighten them by hand.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by strummin67
A tool repeatedly used will eventually wear out.

my mate has just bought a 1985 ibanez roadstar. it works perfectly. there's wear and tear and then there's people doing things wrong.

Quote by element4433
Quote by McShredder
Lol...

You're an idiot, screws wear out much faster because there is a lot more slippage between the screwhead and the tool. If you use the correct size allen key, and don't apply too much pressure you will have no problems.
Quote by strummin67
What has worn out?
Are the threads on the bolt stripped? Is the hole where the allen wrench fits in rounded out? Is the Allen wrench itself worn out?

Yes
use pliers. that's the first thing i would do
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6