Hi, is it seen as acceptable to put a distortion pedal on its lowest gain setting and then put it through a cranked marshall jcm 800 amp model? (vox valvetronix) I personally like the sound I'm getting but it can be a bit too trebly.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
you will get a **** tone, with alot of feedback.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I've done it before, and I get heaps of feedback. It's so distorted and theres so much feedback I can barely hear what I'm playing.
hmmm, isn't this what metallica did in the early days though? Pushing a cranked jcm?
I have the amp on only half gain and I have a digitech hothead which sounds like an OD at its lowest setting... like I said its sounding ok so far
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by turtlewax
hmmm, isn't this what metallica did in the early days though? Pushing a cranked jcm?

With an overdrive pedal, yes. I think 'tallica used tubescreamers, but a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is good enough for my Jcm. Maybe you need to check your settings? These are the settings I use for thrash metal:
Amp(1989 JCM 800 2210 head):
Bass:10
Mid:3-4
Treble:2-3
Presence:0
Gain:10
"Boost" channel Volume:10
Master:3-5,after that you just get power tube drive,not volume

Pedal(Boss SD-1 Overdrive):
Level:10
Tone:10
Drive:0

EDIT: Whoops, you're not using a real JCM after all... I should probably get a pair of glasses...
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jan 31, 2009,
yeah thanks...The hothead is more of an overdrive at low gain so it should be fine
ffffff
With my tube amps, i do this all the time, it usually sounds awesome. with analog solid states, it takes a lot of tweaking before you can get it to sound decent. As for with a digital modeller like the valvetronix - i tried it once and it turned my tone into a mushy paste (I have a valvetronix).
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by bucketmark
you will get a **** tone, with alot of feedback.

Not always, i can put a DS-1 infront of my mesa (with the mesa on high gain) and have the ds-1 get up to half distortion without feedback, and it makes it sound much better.

Some amps dont like it though so its hit or miss, try it...
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
With an overdrive pedal, yes. I think 'tallica used tubescreamers, but a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is good enough for my Jcm. Maybe you need to check your settings? These are the settings I use for thrash metal:

James used Rat + JCM800 before getting mesas and kirk used tube screamer + jcm,

In general combining several distortion unit gives a raspy sort of thick distortion, whereas one high gain distortion unit will give thick but smooth high gain distortion. First one is like old school metal, second one is newer style
Last edited by 1337void at Jan 31, 2009,
It'll sound good with an actual JCM 800, it'll sound like crap on a digital modelling amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
though this fact is exxagarated on these forums, overdrive pedals usually sound poor if trying to boost the gain of digital modelling amps or solid states in general. they are intended for cranked tube amps. you could go for an eq pedal which would allow you to shape your tone (eg. scooping the mids will make it sound a bit more "br00t4lz")
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20