I have a book with guitar songs and stuff and it has the tabs and everything and I have just come across this thing.

It has 4 - 3, 4 -3 etc
but in between the 4 - 3 it seems to have a sort of half circle

like this: ( but rotated so it frowns.
I'm not really sure that's why I was asking. the example I got it from was
A day in the life by the beatles when the lyrics go: nobody was really if he was from the house of lords.
Is it a bit in the upper from 4 & 3? Then it must be a tied note.

If that's the case then it shows a pull-of or a hammer-on as the above user said.
Last edited by YA89 at Jan 31, 2009,
do you mean above the 4 & 3? because that's what it is. and what's a tied note?
Quote by will565
do you mean above the 4 & 3? because that's what it is. and what's a tied note?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I edited my last post. It means you don't have to pick the latter notes. In your case it's a pull-off from 4 to 3.
Isn't that called a slur? A tied note is when that symbol is placed between two of the same notes but you don't play the second one, you just let the first one ring out with the added duration of the second one
^^^ you're right about tie notes. Unlike piano we have hammer-ons and pull-offs and bends in guitar. A Tied note is a note that you don't play again but let it sustain for the entire time duration. So the notes must be the same. We are doing the same thing(letting sustain without picking) when bendings, hammer-ons, etc. So they're also some form of tie notes. That's why in most guitar tabs we can see the tie note symbol used for hammer-ons, pull offs and bends.