hey pit.

I found out recently that the version of Window Media Player on my school computer is basically corrupt. It believes that a file by the name 'wmp.dll' exsists(but I searched everywhere and no sign of it!), and that it is the wrong version of the file. It says to reinstall WMP. Well, I tried to do that, but I still hasn't worked. So, I thought "just
remove it THEN reinstall it."

the dilemma:

the 'add/remove programs' section is locked, and I can't access it! I need WMP for videos that I have to watch so I can learn(homeschooling ftw).

help?
Hold the Heathen hammer high!
There are always alternatives if you can't get Windows Media Player to work.

VLC is a good, lightweight one. Just google "VLC Player" and it should pop up somewhere.

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Quote by Tranx

VLC is a good, lightweight one. Just google "VLC Player" and it should pop up somewhere.

That is a good idea. In fact, I have VLC on my home computer
Trouble of it is, my school doesn't want us to install any NEW programs onto the computer. This is why I need to reinstall WMP. If you think about it, it's already on the computer. So, I don't think if I NEED it that reinstalling it would be 'against the rules'.

Life sucks
Quote by Tranx

+1

also, the dll file should be in C://Porgram Files/Windows Media Player folder depending on what version you have. and the driver would be called wmpns.dll i believe.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If they just don't want you installing programs, you can download the binaries for VLC, which is like a standalone program that you can open and use but not actually have installed. Google "VLC Portable", and (I think) it should give you a single .exe file that you can run and it behaves as if you've installed it, but it's contained entirely within the executable.

Then you wouldn't technically be installing anything.... You can also run those programs off USB memory sticks, so they don't even have to be on the hard drive.

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Quote by TK1
+1

also, the dll file should be in C://Porgram Files/Windows Media Player folder depending on what version you have. and the driver would be called wmpns.dll i believe.

Yes, I did come across a 'wmpns.dll'. The versions don't match, but I am unsure of how to obtain the correct dll file for the current version(11, in case you were wondering.)
I just didn't think that was the right dll file. Thanks

EDIT: to above, that's right! I forgot about my thumb drives
boy am I retarded tonight!
Last edited by black amendment at Jan 31, 2009,