I'm sorry for the guys that are sick of threads like this but I really need help , I've tried everything.
I've been playing guitar for about 6 months now , and I have really developed technique in my fretting hand , I can do fast and clean legatto runs (potatoe goove thing by satriani) 4 finger tapping etc , but I've kinda neglected my picking.
I've gotten used to anchoring , and holding the pick with my thumb and index facing each other (not on the side of the index) and I just suck at picking.
I mess-up alot , when I do tremolo picking my pick gets stuck from time to time on certain notes , I practiced for a week trying to play the intro of Paul Gilbert's Technical Dificulties and can't pick it fast enough , and can't for the love of me get used to playing unanchored and holding the pick "corectly".

I really need advice from people that went trough similar things and fixed it , I wanna practice corectly so I can get my picking up to speed.

Also if someone can sugest some good economy picking exercises , apart from the one on UG by ZeG.

Thank you.
Well, when you say you can't pick without anchoring, you're giving yourself a load of b.s.

Plus, you say you've only been playing 6 months and your picking still sucks? I've been playing 5 years and my picking still sucks - Mostly because of changing my technique so much.

Stop anchoring
Start slow
Make sure you're not using too much of the pick
Just practice playing the technique that you want

Also, the way you hold the pick is fine. However, it might be easier to hold it at an angle.

Honestly, telling us that you "can't" do something is just an excuse. You'll never be fast AND clean with anchoring. You'll never be at a very low risk of injury with anchoring. Don't tell yourself "I can't do it the 'right' way, so anchoring will be fine for me." That is a terrible thought.
You can play fast and clean whilst anchoring...

The main reason to avoid it is injury.. (to The.new.guy)
Quote by Regression
You can play fast and clean whilst anchoring...

The main reason to avoid it is injury.. (to The.new.guy)

Obviously I prased that wrong. It is EASIER to play fast and clean without anchoring.
Quote by Kroaton
I can do fast and clean legatto runs (potatoe goove thing by satriani) 4 finger tapping etc

Dude, 6 MONTHS AND YOU CAN PLAY THAT
thats good

also just treat technical difficulties as an exercise; slow to a metrognome
It's not that I can't do it , I feel I'm not making progress with it , I know the benefits and cons of anchoring , tough thanks for the kind replys so far , hope to see more ensightfull posts related to this topic.
Quote by Kroaton
It's not that I can't do it , I feel I'm not making progress with it , I know the cons of anchoring , tough thanks for the kind replys so far , hope to see more ensightfull posts related to this topic.

Fixed, anchoring has no benefits that cannot be gotten without good practice unanchored.

What exactly do you mean by "not making progress" anyway?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well I practice anywhere from 2-5 hours a day , and my fretting hand just grows exponentialy in speed and acuracy , but no matter how much I practice my picking is still sub-par.
Today I”ve started a new picking exercise regime , I hope it”ll give results , Cheers.
Quote by Kroaton
Well I practice anywhere from 2-5 hours a day , and my fretting hand just grows exponentialy in speed and acuracy , but no matter how much I practice my picking is still sub-par.
Today I”ve started a new picking exercise regime , I hope it”ll give results , Cheers.

Then either there is a problem in your technique somewhere or you need to work on your economy of motion.

Stop thinking about speed for a while and concentrate on playing extremely slowly (the lowest speed on your metronome) and play with perfect economy of motion in everything you practice.

This should end have slow but extremely positive impact on your playing at speed.

Note: You don't need to play that slowly all the time, just when you're actually practicing, in fact you should take a lot of time to just play rather than practice, you don't need to do a huge amount of economy of motion practice every day to see results.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well, i'll give my 2 cents -

i've been playing for 5 years, and what helped me the most was concentrating on getting the upstrokes and downstrokes to be as fast as eachother. it is a much neglected part of learning to pick your strings.

take your pick and hold it below the string (on the side of the string closest to the floor), and just try picking the string repeatedly from the bottom. same thing on the top of the string, although most people have a well devoloped downstroke already, and have just neglected their upstroke. you need these two aspects to be in unison to be a fast picker, because otherwise your weakness on the upstrokes will always cause your picking to be messy, out of time, or what have you.

hope that helps. have fun!
A fool is not one who makes a mistake, a fool is one who does not learn from it.
-me HAH!
Six months is nothing. Focus on hand synch, economy of motion and tone. That's pretty much all there is to it. Fast picking is extremely hard to do well and takes years to get down properly.

Progress feels slow because there's so many more small, complex co-ordinations in a single picking run than the equivalent legato passage.
Takendergib thanks that was the missing link , I have a really good and fast downstroke but suck at upstrokes , I”ll try your sugestion.

Thanks for all the help guys , I love UG.
SIX MONTHS AND THE FUCKING MYSTICAL POTATO HEAD GROOVE THING? What's your secret? D:

Anyway. Just start out slowly and work up. It's hard, but even if you don't feel like you're making progress you most certainly are.
TS, post #8 is good. Most players weakest stroke is their up stroke.

Any licks or runs you have already, try picking them starting with an upstroke, you may find it a little uncomfortable at first but it's well worth getting your runs down starting both ways.

Another thing, if your pick is getting stuck, concentrate on just using the very tip, that's how it should be all the time. Make sure you also have a pick which doesn't flex, at all.

Play accurately at a comfortable speed, if you make a mistake, it's cuz you're playing too fast, ALWAYS.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 1, 2009,
question. you can "play" mystical potato head groove thing. can you REALLY play it? like ALL of it? honestly?
If what you're saying is correct don't feel too bad, you've learned more in the last 6 months than i have.

Be slow
Be precise
Don't attempt Gilbert songs just yet, he's one of the alternate picking masters. Try something a little easier to sync your hands up and get a feel for it.
Not all of Mysticall Groove Thing , I can play about half of it , including the legatto/sweeps Joe uses , there's still a chunk that I can't play at full speed yet.
Mystical potato head groove has some "frightening" parts

That being said, totally offtopic.

Mass kudo's who can cover entire, Raspberry Jam delta-V. That song has crazy licks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKvqjrscXs

Live version blows the original recording out of the water.

This song pretty much summs up Satriani.

That song contains so many cool licks.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 2, 2009,
Yeah Rasberry Jam is a really crazy song , I hope some day I'll be able to play music at that level.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Mystical potato head groove has some "frightening" parts

That being said, totally offtopic.

Mass kudo's who can cover entire, Raspberry Jam delta-V. That song has crazy licks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKvqjrscXs

Live version blows the original recording out of the water.

This song pretty much summs up Satriani.

That song contains so many cool licks.

That's one of my favourite Satch tunes. The open string riff is genius. Have you got Live in San Francisco? The improv he does at the end with the whammy pedal is unreal!

Edit: Just saw the link lol! It's a great improv tho, unless.... I wonder if he worked that out beforehand?
Last edited by mdc at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by mdc
That's one of my favourite Satch tunes. The open string riff is genius. Have you got Live in San Francisco? The improv he does at the end with the whammy pedal is unreal!

Edit: Just saw the link lol! It's a great improv tho, unless.... I wonder if he worked that out beforehand?

Yes I got that DVD (bought 4 real ) it's awesome.

That last lick is probably just a bi-product of practice and fiddling around at home.

And yes the open string intro riff owns.

Petrucci has "borrowed" that idea as well on his solo CD in the song tunnelvision; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LkRE-pLSls (at 0:44)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 3, 2009,