Has anyone else seen this, or tried them? They seem to be EMG's answer to the Blackouts. Shame it's taken over a year, right?

The EMG-X Series of active pickups was conceived and developed with the goal of creating a series of pickups with an open and organic tone while retaining the traditional edge EMG actives are known for. This new generation of active pickup offers increased headroom and body, giving the voicing a more passive feel with crunchy mids and tight bottom end.

Also, they're producing chrome- and gold-covered 81's, 85's, and 60's now:

Sorry if this is old news to anyone.
New to me, never heard of EMG X before. I'm curious as to how they will hold up against Blackouts and the old EMGs
WTLTL 2011
EMG X is news to me... ive already planned to buy the EMG chromes though
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
What are the EMGs I keep seeing with black covers but gold polepieces showing? Are they anything to do with EMG X's?
Quote by minibrowny
What are the EMGs I keep seeing with black covers but gold polepieces showing? Are they anything to do with EMG X's?

Those will be EMG HZ variants.

Also, I'm stoked about this:

The final new release is Alexi Laiho's shredding new signature set, the ALX w/ABQ gain boost, which is composed of a signature passive HZ humbucker paired with a 3-band EQ/gain boost mounted on a push pull pot. This new set is incredibly versatile and was developed in conjunction with Alexi himself. You want his tone? This will get you that much closer!

Edit: It looks like they've revamped the wiring section on their site too - sweeet
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jan 31, 2009,
I've researched the X Series a little more and it seems they'll sound silimlar to EMG's with the 18v mod but only need 1 9v battery. They use the terms open, organic tone and more headroom which are the same things people say about EMG's with the 18v mod. I don't know for sure but that's what it sounds like.
Looks sweet, seems like they want a way around the 18V mod... Could this nullify out 18V thread?!

NEVAR!

but they still look sweet.

Clips from anyone who has?

plznthx
------

Shwiggity.
So what happen's if you get the EMGX pick up and mod it to 18v, do you get an even better tone out of the pick ups? hmm

I think i might have to buy one of those gold plates EMG's they look pretty nice.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Hate hate hate EMGs, but I look forward to seeing how these sound I guess.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I know EMG gave Brendon Small some prototype EMG X's for Dethklok.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
So X series + 18V mod = EPIC WIN?!?!? lol

This wont end the EMG / blackout argument so there is still no point comparing the two.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well, I like the look of the chrome covers, but I still hate EMGs with a passion. :/

Maybe I'll be won over by a set of EMG-Xs with the 18V mod.
i might have to get a pair of the X series. they sounds exactly like what i am looking for. EMGs can be easily swapped for other EMGs, right?
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Finally something interesting coming out from EMG. Can't wait to hear em.

Quote by metalhead_c-1
i might have to get a pair of the X series. they sounds exactly like what i am looking for. EMGs can be easily swapped for other EMGs, right?
I'm assuming these new X series still have the same 3 pin quick connectors yes.

*just checked and yes they are a direct swap*

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jan 31, 2009,
^thanks.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
looks damn nice

hm.. theyll probably be about the same as blackouts.

does this count as selling out?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
looks damn nice

hm.. theyll probably be about the same as blackouts.

does this count as selling out?

I don't think so.

It'd be selling out if they made like, the EMG Whiteouts. ;p

Exact same thing as Blackouts except with an Ivory cover, and like, a 1db boost of gain or something.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I have Blackouts so the only way Ill use EMG is for the Alexi set if I build an Alexi V, even at that I probably would just stick to Blackouts and buy the boost. Now I have to get the 18v mod for my Blackouts if its possible.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Is there any reason it wouldn't? Aren't all actives capable of handling a lot more than 18v anyway?
I'm not sure, afaik there hasn't been anything set in stone about the EMG X's or the Blackouts...
------

Shwiggity.
They don't have the product info PDF up yet for the X models, but I would assume that they can handle up to 27v like all the others. That would kick ass though if the EMG X pickups with the 18v mod were the be all-end all of active pickups.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Or so we think, until anyone's played these and shown me a comparison, I'm not passing any judgements.
------

Shwiggity.
So sexy. I've got an 81/85 set waiting to go into my current build but I might have to sell them and pick up a gold set at some point to match all the gold hardware.

As far as the X's go, I'd like to try them out. Maybe when I'm rich or something...
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
I'd like to see an 81TW-X and 89-X

And didn't EMG have a 65 pickup that was a coil splittable 60? I don't see it on their site...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Think, if these sound like normal EMG's with 18V mods but require 9V wiring, how will they sound with the 18V mod?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
Think, if these sound like normal EMG's with 18V mods but require 9V wiring, how will they sound with the 18V mod?

To be honest, I'm not sure;

The EMG standards are made to withstande a voltage up to 27V. They claim that the difference between 18V and 27V is inaudible.

This makes me think: If they wire the preamp so that it will run at 18V output with 9V power, would there be an audible difference in the "9V" (18 from 9) and the "18V" (27 from 18)
------

Shwiggity.
I really like those Gold and Chrome covers. I was just going to put in an 81 in my Alexi build but i guess I'll just wait until the Alexi kit comes out. I just checked the EMG site and Alexi's back on there, so what about his sigs from ESP? I assume they're back to using HZ's?